You better get rid of it!

This is a discussion on You better get rid of it! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; So every time the topic of vehicles comes up with my father in law he tells me I better get rid of my ecodiesel. A ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: You better get rid of it!

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1393 times

So every time the topic of vehicles comes up with my father in law he tells me I better get rid of my ecodiesel. A guy he knows had one blow an engine on him, just like all the others on here, it was replaced under warranty and no issues, but still he says I need to get rid of it. Will I have a failure? I don't know, maybe I will maybe I wont, but im invested in it and I guess ive got 30k mile of warranty left and plan to ride it out.

Last night I had to drop off a trailer at his house and we went to dinner with them, I drove. I couldn't help but notice he kept staring at the instrument cluster on the truck. I had my fuel economy screen up with an average of 29.6 lol he couldn't quit staring almost made me feel uneasy he was looking so hard, but I just smiled a little and kept driving.

He gets about 15-16 mpg out of his titan cummins. I have 66,000 miles he has a little over 30k. Biggest thing he tows is a 5x8 trailer with a mower, I tow a 30-foot travel trailer occasionally and a 24-foot boat regularly. Ive had zero issues, he has had a DEF sensor issue, contaminated fuel, and had to have a pulley on the belt drive replaced as well as some other cosmetic issues fixed under warranty.

I know, knock on wood (just did) but maybe he should get rid of his?

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    So every time the topic of vehicles comes up with my father in law he tells me I better get rid of my ecodiesel. A guy he knows had one blow an engine on him, just like all the others on here, it was replaced under warranty and no issues, but still he says I need to get rid of it. Will I have a failure? I don't know, maybe I will maybe I wont, but im invested in it and I guess ive got 30k mile of warranty left and plan to ride it out.

Last night I had to drop off a trailer at his house and we went to dinner with them, I drove. I couldn't help but notice he kept staring at the instrument cluster on the truck. I had my fuel economy screen up with an average of 29.6 lol he couldn't quit staring almost made me feel uneasy he was looking so hard, but I just smiled a little and kept driving.

He gets about 15-16 mpg out of his titan cummins. I have 66,000 miles he has a little over 30k. Biggest thing he tows is a 5x8 trailer with a mower, I tow a 30-foot travel trailer occasionally and a 24-foot boat regularly. Ive had zero issues, he has had a DEF sensor issue, contaminated fuel, and had to have a pulley on the belt drive replaced as well as some other cosmetic issues fixed under warranty.

I know, knock on wood (just did) but maybe he should get rid of his?
    Hes just mad he bought an xd and got none of the expected benefits

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6409 times
    Well at least he did not have transmission issues. That was a theme I got from just the few owners I spoke with. There were multiple other issues, poor and repeated service was another.

Someday we will all get rid of our Ecodiesels. Tell him to be patient. You will hopefully do his bidding in another 200,000 miles.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1393 times
    I really have to say, I have driven his titan many times and driven it a considerable amount and like it a lot. The major downfalls of it for me are the fuel mileage. Even me driving it EASY with mpg's in mind it topped out all hwy at 21-22 mpg. And payload is lacking. For being advertised or at least appearing as an in between to a 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickup it just doesn't offer much more.

It rides well, fit and finish is good, very quiet on the road, good power and I rather like the transmission in it. But the fuel mileage is an absolute deal breaker.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3588 times
    Keep working it. Always seems to me the guys that baby them like crazy have the engines that fail. I’d keep it at least another 35k and use up the warranty that you have already paid for. Do you already have a tune?
    sourdo likes this.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1393 times
    The truck is a GDE supporter.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Hey MAS, maybe your FIL is hoping you'll get rid of your EcoD- so that he can trade his XD in for it? My Dad is always giving me hard time about driving "Dodge" trucks (he and my brother are diehard Ford guys; they've had seven Super Dutys and six Powerstrokes between the two of them since '99), however they've had more issues with any one of their Super Dutys than I've had with all of my four "Dodge" trucks combined. I just smile and remind him of that fact whenever he brings it up.
    sourdo and TwoBobs like this.
    2015 Limited, 3.55 LSD, bought 1/2017 (36k miles). GDE tuned since 3/17, 73k miles and counting.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    184 times
    I wouldn't get rid of mine. I can replace the engine outside of warranty and still be financially better then trading and taking a 20k hit. Plus pay another 20k for inflation on new truck.. So 40k in total vs 10k for an engine. You do the math.. Never buying another brand new vehicle. Ecodiesel was my first and last.
    Ram1, jg08 and TwoBobs like this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1393 times
    It wasn't my first new one, but it might be my last new pickup.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    534 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r3gill View Post
    I wouldn't get rid of mine. I can replace the engine outside of warranty and still be financially better then trading and taking a 20k hit. Plus pay another 20k for inflation on new truck.. So 40k in total vs 10k for an engine. You do the math.. Never buying another brand new vehicle. Ecodiesel was my first and last.
    Ya, what he said! Vern has driven his truck another 200k miles after changing out his engine. As far as I know he hasn't had any other major issues. All of the other aspects of the truck are still working properly. OVER 1/2 MILLION miles counting.

Spending the 10k on a new engine, and keeping the truck that took me over a year to set up just the way I want it is the only thing that makes sense to me.
    10k vs 55 - 60k, not a hard decision . Well you might get 10 - 12k for a truck with a blown engine so maybe it would be in the 40 - 50k range. Still a no brainer to me. I'll keep Big Red.
    MR. TED, sourdo and TwoBobs like this.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links