RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Big drop in mpgs from off branded diesel

5K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  bobcat67 
#1 ·
Weird thing happened yesterday, went to New Hampshire to pick up a motorcycle for my friend. Filled up at an "off brand" station where diesel was about 20 cents a gallon cheaper than most stations. It took 22 gallons and hand calculated was about 31.8 mpg, pretty normal for my truck. On the 200 mile trip home, couldn't get the EVIC to read over 30 mpg, mostly hung around 29.8. Today, went to the local Shell station, topped off the tank and added 8 oz of Hot Shot's Diesel Extreme. wow, suddenly, EVIC has been showing 34 mpg for around 100 miles. Normally I use Opti Lube XPD, I forgot to bring with me to NH, so no additive when I filled up yesterday. Starting to think the additives do add mpgs!

#3 ·
It was probably the fuel or atmospheric, there have been times I've experienced slightly better and worse fuel efficiency from a tank of fuel. Usually the truck will seem to run a little rough around the edges when the fuel economy is down. I've had the same with gassers. Nothing that I would suspect something is wrong, or I'm imagining it.

#4 ·
Typical variations. Nothing of note. If you did this regularly for hundreds of miles you might be able to squeak out a reasonable statistical value.

Edit: Warning. Math ahead.

So you dropped by (31.8 - 29.8) = 2 mpg. I'll give you the extra Sig. Fig. but personally I have zero faith in it. Anyway, that is 6.3% .. ah, screw it call it 6%. Well, number 1 diesel contains about 5% less energy than number 2 diesel. Did this "off" brand station still have blended fuel in its tanks? The local Holiday stations just stopped carrying it about 2 weeks ago. Been a cold spring around here. I just put my heater cord away on Friday. (May 10).

There are too many variables. Weather conditions, amount of elevation change, fuel quality/mixture, driving conditions, ... just to name a few.

#5 ·
I normally get my Diesel from the local 76 station in town. I was out by Barstow California and filled the tank with diesel from Loves truck stop. It was B20. My mileage did go down. Since I’ve been back and now have regular diesel my mileage came back. It took at least 1 full tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Certainly getting spectacular fuel mileage if you are close to 30 mpg. Never happen on the roads here in South Florida unless you find places to run 55 - 65 mph. Even the rural roads here run into the 70's normally. I can and have done over 30 mpg in areas where the speeds are lower, such as casual roads in Florida and many of the roads away from the interstates in Georgia and North Carolina. Based on where you live and my driving experiences in that area I do believe.

I admire your BAD fuel mileage. There are many here who would only dream of doing that good.

#7 ·
Small station may not have the volume to flush winter diesel out of their holding tanks. 34 MPG sounds like your EVIC is off.

#13 ·
I do drive like the geezer that I am, 65 on the turnpike, in the slow lane. Most of my driving, however is rural Maine, 45-55 mph and my truck loves those speeds. BTW, my truck did a regen and finished just prior to filling up. I should also tell you, if you are ever in the Somersworth, New Hampshire area, check out ( The Bali Satay House) . My buddy and I were actually thinking the mpg hit came from eating so much and bringing a bunch home! We both agreed that was about the best Asian food we'd ever eaten! His girlfriend is from Indonesia, so he knows Indonesian food. I do know that some of the diesel here in Maine is of lower cetane , like 40. The #2 that I fill my 275 gallon bulk tank is typically around 54 and gives me better mpgs, so as much as I can, use diesel from my shop tank.

#19 ·
Sounds like riding my bike around Charlotte. Strong head winds and thinking that when we turn the wind will start pushing. As soon as we turn, so does the wind! The worst, so far, was riding across Iowa at around 12-15 mph pace with a 15-20 mph headwind. Supposed to be a short day of about 50 miles but still ended up taking about 8 hours.

I had one bad tank in March but think it was filled at the same station. Years back, I know I got the worst mileage in my beetle after filling up at a Murphey's (part of Walmart). Dropped my mpg by almost 10%. Maybe not quite as noticeable i our trucks but when you're averaging high 40s for mpg, a 10% drop makes a big difference.

#20 ·
34 WHAT??? hmmmm, the only time I have busted 30 and did do it, was a down hill run for 100 miles down the back side of the Arkansas Boston Mountains to Van Buren/ Ft. Smith at 55mph, 60 degrees, no wind, lo humidity, the truck did lick 33mpg, otherwise, my ride hits 26.8 to 29 mpg depending on conditions, speed, etc. etc. now once upon a time, I did hit one of those truck stops, filled half way up before realizing that their fuel was part oil and part KFC... fuel econ dropped like a load of bricks... So, someone else wrote here that you could have been burning #1 and someone else mentioned AOC's Bio garbage... I'll second that one... Everyone south of the Mason Dixon has been burning #2 this winter... didn't get cold enough or long enough to ship #1 down south...

#24 ·
Mortorcycle was a "chopper frame" kinda complete but without motor or transmission, probably only 200 lbs, but, my business partner, the guy who builds choppers, and I ate massive quantities of Indonesian food at the restaurant, so weight could have been a factor. I asked the guy who filled my bulk tank yesterday about it, he said many small stations could still have crappy winter #1 diesel in their tanks. My truck is back to happy again, filled her up with 55 cetane #2 from my bulk tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.