Will truck go into limp mode after DEF warning? - Page 2

Will truck go into limp mode after DEF warning?

This is a discussion on Will truck go into limp mode after DEF warning? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Back in the day I experimented with this. I drove well past the mileage indicated for "will not restart." Yup. When I stopped, I made ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Will truck go into limp mode after DEF warning?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    988 times
    Back in the day I experimented with this. I drove well past the mileage indicated for "will not restart." Yup. When I stopped, I made sure it was at the WalMart. Went inside and bought some DEF and came back out to see if the truck would restart. It would not restart. It took a few minutes to restart, though. I guess the float has to move and get things reset.

This particular trip was on the interstate and the truck did NOT go into limp mode.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cat man View Post
    No it doesn’t go into limp mode when I was having scr problem I went all the way thru count down to truck will not restart still ran normal
    I am happy to report that I had the same experience. The truck went through the countdown and maintained power all the way to the dealership. Once the countdown ended, the screen read, "Engine Will Not Restart, Service DEF System, See Dealer". Every few miles the warning chime went off and flashed the message. It was a little annoying hearing that chime repeat itself over a span of 130 miles, but I was too happy not being in limp mode to care.

The service advisor and shop foreman met me upon arrival. The foreman said they have done approximately 14 AEM updates and mine was the first one to experience the check engine light and P202E code soon after. He said that FCA is being very strict about allowing the shop to make any updates without a phone call. So, he said they will call FCA to see how they want the dealer to proceed.
    Kazimodo and 97hmcs like this.
    2015 3.0 Ecodiesel/Big Horn/1500/QCSB/4x4
    2016 Arctic Fox/Travel Trailer 22G/Onboard LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Back in the day I experimented with this. I drove well past the mileage indicated for "will not restart." Yup. When I stopped, I made sure it was at the WalMart. Went inside and bought some DEF and came back out to see if the truck would restart. It would not restart. It took a few minutes to restart, though. I guess the float has to move and get things reset.

This particular trip was on the interstate and the truck did NOT go into limp mode.
    How did you get the truck to restart? Did you use the crossover wire?
    2016 Arctic Fox/Travel Trailer 22G/Onboard LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1113 times
    Glad you made it , I will copy a link to this thread' s if anyone asks the same question .
    Please let us know what the dealer finds that caused your P202E code .
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 05-14-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    biodiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by turkeybird56 View Post
    BIODIESEL:

GO to this URL, post #5. The truck will shut down. This is the workaround to start the truck and get it to whatever location:

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...625000005.html

T-Bird
    Funny , if you go down to post # 14 , there is biodiesel himself , asking a question on how to make a jumper
    from June 2018 .......
    biodiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    Funny , if you go down to post # 14 , there is biodiesel himself , asking a question on how to make a jumper
    from June 2018 .......
    Yeah, I remember when that thread was posted. My problem isn't so much about getting the truck restarted as much as worrying about it going into limp mode. Now that I know I can drive through the mileage countdown, most of my worries have dissipated.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
    How did you get the truck to restart? Did you use the crossover wire?
    I see Ziggy is " offline " right now , he states he got the message because he ran out of DEF ,
    not the code you mentioned , after refilling with DEF, the truck did not start normally right away , he had to wait a little
    for float to move he believes , then it started with the normal key or button method .
    You will not have that luxury , the dealer should know what to do , if not you can show them ,
    in another thread a member showed the jumper method to his tech who did not know about it ,
    the tech was glad to learn this method..

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
    Yeah, I remember when that thread was posted. My problem isn't so much about getting the truck restarted as much as worrying about it going into limp mode. Now that I know I can drive through the mileage countdown, most of my worries have dissipated.
    The Countdown can be triggered by many different problems , with some other problems
    it will put you into Limp Mode , your experience just showed that code P202E will not ,
    it would be nice to have a list in 2 columns , one side codes that will put you in Limp Mode ,
    and on the other side a list of the codes that won't , that will take some time to create , with
    just one event every few months , .
    some reported that ,in Limp Mode , if you let go of the gaz pedal , and find the right spot
    you can go +/- 50 MPH on the highway , not so bad , as for the hills like you mentioned
    they didn't say , I'm sure it would be a challenge .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    192 times
    The Countdown can be triggered by many different problems , with some other problems
    it will put you into Limp Mode , your experience just showed that code P202E will not ,.
    That's a very good point. The day I went into limp mode (2 years ago), the truck gave no warning. The warning system chimed with a "Service Electronic Throttle Control" displayed and the truck instantly detuned (went into limp mode).
    it would be nice to have a list in 2 columns , one side codes that will put you in Limp Mode ,
    and on the other side a list of the codes that won't .
    Agreed.

some reported that ,in Limp Mode , if you let go of the gaz pedal , and find the right spot
    you can go +/- 50 MPH on the highway , not so bad , as for the hills like you mentioned
    they didn't say , I'm sure it would be a challenge .
    Yeah, I was in the Ozarks when it was in limp mode, so there was no flat area.
    Kazimodo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    192 times
    The Ecodiesel needs a new DEF injector; unfortunately, it's on nationwide backorder. The dealer provided us with a rental for at least 10 days. They got us a 2019 Ram HD, crew cab, Big Horn, 2500 Hemi. I can't complain!
    markcfoster and Kazimodo like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links