Dumb question, but nobody ever accused me of being smart...

This is a discussion on Dumb question, but nobody ever accused me of being smart... within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Please forgive me if there has been discussion on this and I apologize for my ignorance but what's the difference between the 14-16 and the ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ram1
  • 1 Post By ncskibum
  • 1 Post By Captainmal
  • 1 Post By JohnnyMac
  • 1 Post By phprof
  • 1 Post By sourdo

Thread: Dumb question, but nobody ever accused me of being smart...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie Eco
    Liked
    24 times

Please forgive me if there has been discussion on this and I apologize for my ignorance but what's the difference between the 14-16 and the 17-18 ECMs that the earlier ones didn't meet EPA standards but the new ones do? Couldn't they have just loaded the 17-18 ECM firmware into the older trucks or are there enough differences that it wouldn't work? Just curious.
    I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    518 times
    The EPA stopped FCA from selling any trucks in 2017 because they claimed that they did not meet EPA standards. FCA had to reprogram the ECM's and have them recertified before selling any trucks and as a result virtually no Eco Diesel trucks were sold in 2017.

We are getting our reflashed to the 2017 specs.
    JohnnyMac likes this.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    153 times
    I, on the other hand, am often accused of being smart. I'm so smart they call me Alec.

I think there were a few other tweaks necessary on the pre-17s so the EPA required fix was not as easy as just reprogramming the ECM.
    JohnnyMac likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6252 times
    After the re-flash ... probably little to no difference. All they are basically doing is making the '14-16's like the '17's and '18's.

Now there may be a slight equipment difference. Just really do not know. Actually, there's lots we don't know but one thing is true, you question is smart.
    JohnnyMac likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie Eco
    Liked
    24 times
    Thanks guys. Just seemed like it should have been easier, but I guess when you get lawyers and the government involved, nothing is easy.
    HYDREX likes this.
    I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Thanks guys. Just seemed like it should have been easier, but I guess when you get lawyers and the government involved, nothing is easy.
    Well, they have to be paid as well and to be paid they have to do something and to do something they have to take time and effort.

I've been a farmer (until 22), student, and now a professor. I've been accused of being dumb, smart, a jackwagon, and several other problems. However, ain't never been accused of being a lawyer.

In the end, it all costs the consumer. Everything is paid for by the consumer. The purchase price of the truck? The consumer. The DOJ and EPA personnel? The taxpayers (consumers). The FCA payouts? The consumer. They just spread it around like soft butter. People buying Dodge Durangos should be pissed that part of their vehicle payment is going back to some small group of customers, EPA coffers, and lawyers (on both sides). Oh, wait I bought a Durango too so that means I paid myself.

It's a small world after all. Such a small world after all. Altogether now, let us sign a song of unity under the golden sun of peace and prosperity in the shape of a hammer and sickle.
    JohnnyMac likes this.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram1 View Post
    The EPA stopped FCA from selling any trucks in 2017 because they claimed that they did not meet EPA standards. FCA had to reprogram the ECM's and have them recertified before selling any trucks and as a result virtually no Eco Diesel trucks were sold in 2017.

We are getting our reflashed to the 2017 specs.
    And that is why I got my 2017 for $30k OTD!

I heard they had a mountain of 2017's to get rid of last year. The initial "throw me a bone" price was $28.9k, impressive.
    JohnnyMac likes this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Please forgive me if there has been discussion on this and I apologize for my ignorance but what's the difference between the 14-16 and the 17-18 ECMs that the earlier ones didn't meet EPA standards but the new ones do? Couldn't they have just loaded the 17-18 ECM firmware into the older trucks or are there enough differences that it wouldn't work? Just curious.
    Hi: JohnnyMac... Maxwell Smart was smart as a whip... but he still had to take off his shoe to make a call, and that smarts!!!
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    281 times
    OK, I think lawyers and the government may be almost an oxymoron? Seems like when lawyers can't pick our pockets fast enough, they run for office.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Sponsored Links