ATTENTION - GDE tranny tune users BEFORE you get the AEM UPDATE!!!

This is a discussion on ATTENTION - GDE tranny tune users BEFORE you get the AEM UPDATE!!! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Just had my AEM update completed today. Not only does the dealer flash the ECU, they also flash the transmission! If you have a GDE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: ATTENTION - GDE tranny tune users BEFORE you get the AEM UPDATE!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Just had my AEM update completed today. Not only does the dealer flash the ECU, they also flash the transmission! If you have a GDE tranny tune you must reinstall your original tune. If not, you will be in the same boat as me; having to pay full price for another flash device and tune! Learn from my mistake!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4241 times
    That sucks for you. Too bad you didn't see last weeks post concerning GDE and the AEM.

Here's a link for others who haven't seen it. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...ll-notice.html
    TwoBobs and lucskoj like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I work at a dealership and have taken the training course and done a few of these recall. There are 2 loop holes in the recall except in California. 1) you can refuse the recall. But you will not receive any of the settlement or the extended warranty. Except California. California will not allow you the register your vehicle again until recall has been done. 2) the dealership can refuse to do the recall if they visually see the vehicle emissions has been removed, tampered with. Also if the ecm or trans flashes fail and it has be determined that it has an aftermarket flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    redsunBC likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6249 times
    Think some GDE users without the tranny flash had no issues doing the recall flash over their GDE ECM.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1399 times
    I'll add this info since this has the potential to be a good informative thread for GDE customers with the trans tune. Trans tune customers should have received an email from GDE with the following instructions:

As many of you might be aware, FCA’s Approved Emissions Modification campaign for these vehicles is under way. This update action will install new engine and transmission software to your vehicle.

Some customers might already have embarked upon this update adventure already before this note was received.

If you have our GDE flash tool used to deploy the trans tune to your vehicle, it is highly suggested to perform the following steps before you go to the dealer to have the AEM update performed:

Connect the tool to your vehicle, enter the Tuning menu, and write the ORIGINAL (stock) file back into the transmission
    Once the transmission is flashed back to stock, connect the tool to your PC and open the console software used to communicate with it.
    Select “Erase Data” on the left side menu, then click START in the main window. Follow all prompts to complete the process of clearing the tool.

With the tool cleared out, you will now be able to make a read of the new software installed by the dealer and submit to us for re-building.

If the above steps are not followed and the dealer updates your transmission while the tune was still installed, the tool will be locked and the only recovery is to purchase a new tool.
    Captainmal, TwoBobs and Lucky Dog like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1399 times
    Current GDE trans tune customers, only $25 to get your transmission tune updated once you have the AEM completed. https://www.greendieselengineering.c...te/2_59.action
    Captainmal likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED SLT Qcab
    Liked
    81 times
    I had the AEM update today. It wrote over my GDE ecm tune without a hitch. I still have engine braking but no cruze below 25, 3 less MPGs and noticeably
    Less passing power. The engine braking actually seems to work a bit better with the faster down shifting.
    Last edited by Houser; Yesterday at 07:47 AM.
    Kazimodo likes this.
    My next new car will run on hydrogen.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Houser View Post
    I had the AEM update today. My updated ecm is on its way.
    GDE has the AEM replacement tune ready and on its way to you already? They were saying July until the latest tune would be available to replace the AEM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED SLT Qcab
    Liked
    81 times
    this page left intentionally blank.
    Last edited by Houser; Yesterday at 07:52 AM.
    My next new car will run on hydrogen.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Houser View Post
    I have an ecm with current gde tune version on its way. I have a lot of towing and hauling to do starting next week and dont want to spend the
    Whole summer camping season towing and hauling without a tune. Ill pay the extra $50 bucks for an upgrade later if i feel i need to.
    Could you have waited until later to have the AEM installed?
    97hmcs likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links