Surprise was short lived

Surprise was short lived

This is a discussion on Surprise was short lived within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Well, I dropped my 2014 Eco Diesel Ram 1500 off at the dealer yesterday to have the AEM recall done. They called me a few ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By r3gill
  • 3 Post By Captainmal
  • 1 Post By Houser
  • 1 Post By culrich77
  • 1 Post By Dieseldragon

Thread: Surprise was short lived

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Surprise was short lived

Well, I dropped my 2014 Eco Diesel Ram 1500 off at the dealer yesterday to have the AEM recall done. They called me a few hours later and I picked up the truck. WELL, I got in the truck started it up and wamo I spun the tires while leaving the parking lot. I thought I was in my 2002 5.9 Cummins with the chip. I had even thought that they gave me the wrong truck and I had one with a Hemi. I am sorry to say that ten miles down the road I came to a red light. The light turned green and I almost thought the truck killed. My wonderful Eco is now a slow moving turtle. It does not feel nothing like the truck I brought to the dealer. It shifts smooth but performance sux. I am not happy and I bet there will be many others. Where do I sign up for the next class action suit. PISSED

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6538 times
    Suit for what? You want an Ecodiesel race truck to use in NASCAR?

Give things a bit of time. My guess is you were stock tuned in the first place, meaning no GDE. That alone is less performance. Now you think you had extra power but maybe the tires hit a wet spot or they had oil on them from the shop that needed skidded off. Just postulating that your perception may not be reality.

Give it time and report back. If you really want more power, chip it like you obviously did to your 5.9 Cummins. Sure hope it all works out for you ... in time.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Suit for what? You want an Ecodiesel race truck to use in NASCAR?

Give things a bit of time. My guess is you were stock tuned in the first place, meaning no GDE. That alone is less performance. Now you think you had extra power but maybe the tires hit a wet spot or they had oil on them from the shop that needed skidded off. Just postulating that your perception may not be reality.

Give it time and report back. If you really want more power, chip it like you obviously did to your 5.9 Cummins. Sure hope it all works out for you ... in time.
    I don't think ecod with gde is any short of power then the 5.9 cummins. Had a 2003 H.O 5.9 3500 ran same routes in BC interior cascade range and Canadian rockies where 8 percent grades are the norm.. I sometimes feel ecodiesel does the same amount of work as my old 5.9 but just more quietly and economically. The 3500 had 500k kms when I sold it. Don't miss it one bit. Ecod has 130k kms now and hasn't skipped a beat. GDE turbo brake is a big bonus.. Ran hwy 3 from Vancouver to osooyos today doing 15mpgs pulling every 8 percent grade 60 mph no problems with 6k lbs. What else do you want from a light duty truck? There is no end to power I see guys pulling small travel trailers with 3500s duallies all the time. Overkill.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6538 times
    I bought a new 5.9 Cummins 2500 in 2004. Put near a quarter million miles on it. Much of that was pulling and delivering police, military and fire-safety trailer across the country. Think I know a little about how its' capabilities compared to the Ecodiesel.

They don't.

Not even close with the exception of fuel mileage under tow. Given the same light towing load for the Cummins that would be within Ecodiesel specifications to pull, the fuel mileage of the Ecodiesel is just a single mile-per-gallon better. I actually have a toy hauler that I currently pull with my Ecodiesel that I used to pull with the Cummins. I know.

As for power and capability, forget it. The Cummins is way stronger with far greater capability and stability. I could pull Western mountain grades at 60 - 70 mph that the Ecodiesel struggles to pull 50 mph and when it does overheats, causing you to slow down. In windy conditions the larger 2500 is far more stable and in control that the 1500 Ecodiesel.

"Short of power" is a relative statement. The Ecodiesel makes good power for an engine half the size of the Cummins or less, compared to the 6.7 L ones today. Good is not equal and should not be used in any reasonable comparison. The little Ecodiesel is not close to what a Cummins can and does do.
    MAS, HYDREX and Sojourner55 like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    I bought a new 5.9 Cummins 2500 in 2004. Put near a quarter million miles on it. Much of that was pulling and delivering police, military and fire-safety trailer across the country. Think I know a little about how its' capabilities compared to the Ecodiesel.

They don't.

Not even close with the exception of fuel mileage under tow. Given the same light towing load for the Cummins that would be within Ecodiesel specifications to pull, the fuel mileage of the Ecodiesel is just a single mile-per-gallon better. I actually have a toy hauler that I currently pull with my Ecodiesel that I used to pull with the Cummins. I know.

As for power and capability, forget it. The Cummins is way stronger with far greater capability and stability. I could pull Western mountain grades at 60 - 70 mph that the Ecodiesel struggles to pull 50 mph and when it does overheats, causing you to slow down. In windy conditions the larger 2500 is far more stable and in control that the 1500 Ecodiesel.

"Short of power" is a relative statement. The Ecodiesel makes good power for an engine half the size of the Cummins or less, compared to the 6.7 L ones today. Good is not equal and should not be used in any reasonable comparison. The little Ecodiesel is not close to what a Cummins can and does do.
    OK guys, I still love my Eco but it is definitely less responsive since the AEM re-do.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1462 times
    Its getting the same tune as the 17-18 trucks have. I don't think I recall others who have has a 14-16 saying the 17+ perform much if at all different.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED SLT Qcab
    Liked
    105 times
    Lots of throttle lag when the engine is cold. Everything gets better at full operating temps. Shift is good, power is good, cruise is good.
    Not as good as with the GDE tune but ok. My MPGs were 3-4 higher with the tune.
    TexasRam likes this.
    My next new car will run on hydrogen.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 LARAMIE
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Houser View Post
    Lots of throttle lag when the engine is cold. Everything gets better at full operating temps. Shift is good, power is good, cruise is good.
    Not as good as with the GDE tune but ok. My MPGs were 3-4 higher with the tune.
    I agree, in the mornings when I'm turning left out of my subdivision onto the busy street I have to give myself tons of room as the truck has literally 0 pick-up now, even with the pedal floored it barely moves, I was almost hit the first time after the flash. Once my temps are up it seems back to normal, but initially upon start up there is a HUGE difference, my MPG has stayed about the same.
    TexasRam likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    187 times
    Capt real question is do you miss your 5.9 cummins? I certainly don't. It does just fine with my 6000lbs travel trailer. Just way less noise and awesome ride quality. Comfort for the family. Only times I overheated was hills of 9 percent plus with very less air flow. Low speeds. Otherwise its as good as my 5.9 crap 48re truck.

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Hi: yellowjacket... I'm certainly less responsive first thing in the morning and suffer from a lot of lag. I get more responsive as I warm up and do tend to spin my wheels for the rest of the day!!! I'm retired so performance isn't a priority!!!
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    JohnnyMac likes this.

Sponsored Links