Fuel Filter Cap Replacement

This is a discussion on Fuel Filter Cap Replacement within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; So after 10 fuel filter replacements of being extra diligent not to over tighten the drain cap, I finally managed to strip it. I now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fuel Filter Cap Replacement

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

So after 10 fuel filter replacements of being extra diligent not to over tighten the drain cap, I finally managed to strip it. I now have a leak and the dealership says they can't sell me just the cap for the fuel filter. They have to sell me the entire fuel filter housing which is going to cost $285.

I cannot find a replacment for just the cap...

Has anyone else replaced just the cap for their truck?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram EcoDiesel
    Liked
    31 times

My suggestion would be to go to your favorite parts store and find a drain plug and then drill and tap the cap for that thread.

Could also just use a short enough bolt with a sealing washer. The main thing would to make sure the bolt isn’t too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4681 times
    hatchi12 and Captainmal like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2411 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lukkyseven View Post
    So after 10 fuel filter replacements of being extra diligent not to over tighten the drain cap, I finally managed to strip it. I now have a leak and the dealership says they can't sell me just the cap for the fuel filter. They have to sell me the entire fuel filter housing which is going to cost $285.

try a junkyard with a wrecked ecodiesel.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the parts number. I'll just order the entire housing through one of those sites. Still cheaper than the dealership and saves me trips to the junk yard. Guess I'll have spare parts for the housing
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4681 times
    Thanks for the parts number. I'll just order the entire housing through one of those sites. Still cheaper than the dealership and saves me trips to the junk yard. Guess I'll have spare parts for the housing
    Yeah and it includes a new filter. If you shop around you might find a better price. I did a quick search.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1420 times
    I guess I read it wrong , at first I understood it was just the yellow drain screw ,
    if that is the case just get the Genosgarage brass replacement . as seen in this video :
    if it is the thread on the big cap , well good info was already given ......

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    453 times
    Don't mess with lukkyseven, he strips fuel caps with his fingers, lol. I'll remember when I do mine to be gentle.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patroller8D View Post
    Don't mess with lukkyseven, he strips fuel caps with his fingers, lol. I'll remember when I do mine to be gentle.

This is too funny.

I was in a rush when I posted this as I had a child baseball game to get to so I apologize.

Here's a better description of my problem (though I've resolved it)

I have the Genosgarage brass plug and that is actually what the problem is. The threading on it is a little aggressive (though the product has worked for almost 200k miles now or to the 10th fuel filter change). That plug is what is stripped. There is only two threads where it screws into. I have always been very careful knowing that a brass plug in a plastic fuel cap is a terrible terrible design (what's a worse design is the original OEM one - fuel bath anyone?). This time I got it finger tight and then took the wrench to it. I went to tighten it a 1/4 turn like I usually do and it didn't get tight, it just continued to spin. I'd show you the picture of what happened, but it didn't turn out well. The plastic threading on the fuel filter cap broke, it actually cut off it looks like.

Thanks to the previous post I went with a search for part # 68394482AA and ended up buying it for $70ish shipped. That's still a lot of money for me needing just the cap. I know I'll never be able to sell the rest of the fuel/water separator, but oh well. I called a few junk yards within an hour of me and they had or didn't know if they had an EcoD on the lot so that wasn't worth it.

I had planned on just JB Welding the threaded bolt into the fuel cap, but wasn't sure if diesel fuel would eat JBWeld or not.

Anyway, here we are. Thanks for the help guys
    RAM259 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    988 times
    Are you sure the dealer didn't quote you labor also? I would call them and ask for a quote on the part only and if they give you the same price ask them how the heck they can charge over dubble what a Mopar distributor is charging for one!
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links