Radiator fluid saga

Radiator fluid saga

This is a discussion on Radiator fluid saga within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; A few weeks back I took the truck in for a small radiator fluid leak. The truck is out of warranty. This is the same ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Radiator fluid saga

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 Laramie CrewCab 4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    63 times

Radiator fluid saga

A few weeks back I took the truck in for a small radiator fluid leak. The truck is out of warranty. This is the same truck I had the engine replaced at the beginning of the month because of an oil pump failure starving the engine.

I get the truck back and the next day I walk out to find a huge leak under the truck. They pay for the tow and tell me it's the water pump. They may have misdiagnosed the first leak. They give me a deal and replace the water pump. They also replace all the hoses and o-rings on the cooling system on their dime.

I get the truck home and go out an hour later to see fluid under the truck again. It looks like they over torqued one of the thermostat bolts and cracked it. If you squeeze the radiator hose, you can see the fluid squirt out.

I don't know whether to fix it myself at this point, or take it in yet again and make them pay for it.

What say the collective?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    305 times
    I say take it in, but itís up to you. Sometimes itís better to just have the job done right by doing it yourself, but itís also kind of a hard to go back on them if more is wrong and youíve dug into it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    477 times
    It's these dealer mechanic stories the that scare me.
    Cheers
    sourdo

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    It's their problem. Once you touch it, you run the risk they will wash their hands of it and say you caused it.
    Jinx likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6952 times
    What if that rack is not easily fixable?

Make, don't just let them fix it. Good video. Show it to the shop that replaced the pump.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    63 times
    Already sent them the video. They said to bring it back. It's only about 16 miles on city streets. I'll top off the tank and drive it over in the morning. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    63 times
    Well. Somehow they determined that the plastic part was not cracked from over torquing and is a coincidence because of the 180k miles on the truck...

They were kind enough to only charge me the cost of the part after all the other stuff I've been through.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    63 times
    Got the truck back on Tuesday. Noticed on Friday it was almost a gallon low again. Filled it up and drove it back to the dealership this morning. Drove out in a brand new 1500 hemi. I'm moving this week, so they're letting me loan it with an intent to buy for a week so we can close on the house without having credit issues. I'll go back Saturday and we'll finalize numbers. We ran a buy sheet based on some educated guesstimated values to get an initial agreement on cost and make sure the new truck was in my price range.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6952 times
    Guessing that was a good thing for the dealer and for you to be that cooperative. Sad the repairs just were not working.

Guessing you are trading in the Ecodiesel or selling instead of playing the "fix it" game any longer. Good luck with whatever course of action you choose.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    63 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Guessing that was a good thing for the dealer and for you to be that cooperative. Sad the repairs just were not working.

Guessing you are trading in the Ecodiesel or selling instead of playing the "fix it" game any longer. Good luck with whatever course of action you choose.
    Correct. The truck is way out of warranty. After tossing over $10k in the last month trying to get it fixed, I'm done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links