Deleted Ram Raw Diesel Custom Catalytic converter solution.

This is a discussion on Deleted Ram Raw Diesel Custom Catalytic converter solution. within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I deleted my Ram a while ago at 600 miles and don't look back, but..... Since that time I received a ton of nasty complains ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Deleted Ram Raw Diesel Custom Catalytic converter solution.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times

I deleted my Ram a while ago at 600 miles and don't look back, but.....

Since that time I received a ton of nasty complains from my wife about diesel smell...

What makes our deleted truck smell raw diesel is a lack of catalytic which is an integrated part of the DPF.

If somebody doesn't know our DPF has 2 sections. Top section is catalytic converter like one used on older diesel and gas vehicle.
    The bottom section is DPF itself.

The catalytic converter is actually not a big evil when it comes to engine life, unless it is plugged and dead.

So, I started to think about options.... And here what I did:

1. I added MagnaFlow 60110 Universal Catalytic Converter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

2. 3" X 6" Interlock Stainless Steel Flex Pipe (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

3. EVIL ENERGY 3 Inch Stainless Steel Exhaust V Band Clamp Male Female Flange (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

4. OD 3" 4 FT Long Straight Exhaust Piping Tubing Tube Pipe T304 Stainless Steel (https://www.ebay.com/itm/OD-3-4-FT-L...72.m2749.l2649)

5. 2pcs 3 inch OD 45 Degree 2FT Exhaust Piping Tubing Tube PipeT304 Stainless Steel (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-3-inch...72.m2749.l2649)

I welded it all together using my TIG welder. Also I deleted my muffler and used just a piece of 3" 304 pipe and 2 pieces of 2 1/4 45 degree bends I bought in local muffler shop.

It all came out very good. The diesel smell is almost gone. It does smell a bit when I just start the truck and engine is cold, but in minutes smell goes away.
    When engine is hot the exhaust smells less than any gas vehicle.

I will try to get pictures and post them.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    The reason I added 3" V-band is because stock v-band is super flimsy. So I welded my new V-band right to the top ring.

The new V-band is super solid and locks very well without gasket. No leaks from new V-band connection.

I added another flex as the original design had flex right after DPF and it makes sense to have it there.

The catalytic itself has 3 1/2" holes so, I had to stretch my 3" pipes, not a big deal as I have pipe stretch kit.

The MagnaFlow 60110 is designed for much bigger engine, I don't think it will add any restriction to my exhaust system.

The MagnaFlow 60110 was on sale and I paid only $205 for it now I can see a bit other price....
    Last edited by Pasechnik; 06-03-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    274 times
    Newer diesels smell a bit more too because of the pilot injection, Iíd rather be around an old diesel than a newer deleted one for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat67 View Post
    Newer diesels smell a bit more too because of the pilot injection, I’d rather be around an old diesel than a newer deleted one for this reason.

You are right old diesels just stink but new diesels are burning your eyes and throat and nose.

I am surprised how unsmelly my truck is right now.

I do understand just single catalytic converter is not even close to original after treatment system, but it is a very good compromise compare to delete.

But on other hand my mileage is better, my oil is clean without evil EGR, no regens, no DEF, etc.

It is like Ram before 2007...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1074 times
    Soo... How are you keeping that catalytic converter from plugging up?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    274 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggn85 View Post
    Soo... How are you keeping that catalytic converter from plugging up?
    they won't really ever plug up if it is sized up correctly for the engine, which he stated it is. My 06 cummins had one on it, and I had it tuned pretty hot for a lot of miles with the cat still on, with no signs of plugging. Eventually ripped it off in favor of larger exhaust and compound turbos and fully upgraded engine, etc. To stop rambling on though, cat's don't really plug and diesel temps don't get hot enough to "burn" them up typically. hence why they are installed prior to the DPF, sometimes referred to as DOC or diesel oxidation catalyst

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    This cat is big enough to be used on 7.3 Ford, 6.0 Ford and Cummins 5.9.

I think our little 3.0 engine won't make it sweat.. and newer injection system is cleaner anyways.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6536 times
    Surely a different approach than what is normally seen on this forum.

You spent a lot of money, time and exercised your creativity to please the wife and make your Ecodiesel smell better. Bet you don't have a goat. They smell worse and are not fixed in any way.

You gave this forum an education. Thanks.
    Pasechnik likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I've always throught the Ford Powerstrokes- namely the 6.0, 6.4, 6.7- have a much stronger "diesel" exhaust smell than engines from manufacturers, even with all their emissions equipment in place. Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought they smell like they are burning excessive fuel or dumping raw fuel into the exhaust.
    2015 Limited, 3.55 LSD, bought 1/2017 (36k miles). GDE tuned since 3/17, 73k miles and counting.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    274 times
    6.0 had a unique smell with everything intact, however it became worse with the introduction of ULSD, the 7.3 also had a unique smell, and I think it has something to do with HEUI injection. The 6.4 and 6.7 smell a lot like the rest of them with emissions intact in my opinion. I do see higher mileage units start smelling different, Cummins and Duramax engines too. they all vent their crankcase gases differently into the intakes, and I believe this plays a role, Ford introduces it right into the turbo/intake manifold, whereas Cummins takes it in front of the turbo, and it has to pass through an intercooler and then to the intake, GM takes it a different route, but has recently gone to a system like the Fords. I believe some of the exhaust odor is due to CCV gases. The Powerstroke and Duramax seems to visually have a lot more blow by than a Cummins. Also the Cummins has a massive filter built into the valve cover. Hard to really know or tell for sure. However I believe this plays a major role in exhaust smell. My ECO smelled pretty bad depending on conditions, but itís an engine less than half the size of any of the HD diesels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links