Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ?? - Page 3

Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ??

This is a discussion on Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ?? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by lucskoj I know you are correct about the EPA doesn’t require things like a DPF or DEF, that’s just what manufacturers use ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ??

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    186 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lucskoj View Post
    I know you are correct about the EPA doesn’t require things like a DPF or DEF, that’s just what manufacturers use to meet the EPA requirements. I believe it was Cummins recently that was able to meet NOx requirements without the use of an EGR. But I had heard they got shut down because the EPA required an EGR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is true. There was an article some time ago. EPA wanted the egr on no matter how clean the engine ran.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    I don't know what properties lead may bring to the table for bearings, but I know that in most cases when things are made "green" it is done for other reasons than increasing the reliability, durability, and longevity of the product.
    Engine bearings have developed since the model T Ford ect. basically blends of softer metals known as bearing overlay with often copper plated steel backing shells, the soft bearing overlay is engineered to capture and hold large pieces of debris ect worked great for years why change it ? they can experiment on somebody else's dime.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2368 times
    Folks you need to Read about London taxi service spinning bearings in their taxis with VM Diesel engines, also you can read the AussiejeepForum and you’ll also learn they’ve been spinning bearings with their VM Motori Diesels, Now add the EcoDiesel engine into the equation spinning bearings...And I’m sure if you dig deeper you’ll find other VM Diesels spinning bearings as well ...Modern VM Motori Diesel engine’s do not have a good reputation....

VM Motori engines have not adopted well to modern emissions, their EGR system, programming has quite a bit to be desired, Now I also believe FCA having bought VM entirely will straighten out these issues, FCA has more than enough resources, and qualified engineers across The FCA brands to come to a working solution, Because they have to ,FCA introducing the EcoDiesel was a huge game changer in the half ton truck market , they cannot throw the towel in now ,because the EcoDiesel made Ford and GM jump into the half ton diesel market as well .FCA Folks if you didn’t know FCA has become a huge player...
    Last edited by Haul N Grass; 06-09-2019 at 06:49 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    Hi: All... I always find my performance lacks when I have to much "Lead" in my bottom end, and to great a % of "Bourbon" in the mix.
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r3gill View Post
    This is true. There was an article some time ago. EPA wanted the egr on no matter how clean the engine ran.
    Have a link or pointer? Do you recall where the article was published?
    Doug Dickerson
    "We have not inherited the Earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children."

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    186 times
    Can't find a link. It came up in google news some time ago. Will post it up if I find it. Cummins was able to remove all Nox emission there scr system. But no go for the EPA. Many engine manufacturers are already using low flow egr systems already and killing nox with def.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    You can find info on cummins website about their tier 5/stage 5 emissions engines. Basically they removed the EGR and combined the DOC, DPF and SCR into one unit. I can’t find the article that stated the EPA wouldn’t allow it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3591 times
    To H n G’s post even short bursts of low rpm (sub 2k) heavier throttle is higher bearing load at least in my mind. Low oil pressure at that time / rpm also. Get up this driveway, tall gear roll on throttle to merge whatever. A little twisting bearing wear for the crank to grab again later? Just thoughts in my head.

Despite the constant 6-7k high aero drag loads that mine tows both the first & 2nd motor now (190k) seem to do well with obvious load why. Me thinks in part it might be because I don’t tow a high drag TT or heavier boat without utilizing the Tow Haul feature that keeps the motor 2k plus and in its power band with good oil flow & minimal for towing load on the engine or bearing load.

I read on here frequently of people who want to tow in 8th and don’t want to use TH unless they have to in order to get it to shift up. Lol the lesser rpms doesn’t save them any fuel towing on top of that the lesser rpm may actually in this scenario make for more wear. Also it seems a high percentage of failures come to those who baby the heck out of their trucks and never work them. Low rpm / oil pressure relative to the gear / load? Plus perhaps engine doesn’t as frequently get to see long periods at full operating temps to evaporate condensation & unburnt diesel from the oil? Just musings. I know Howie thinks my theory is all wet but the thoughts linger.

Do the European jeeps & taxis get the benefit of the 8 speed transmission?
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 06-09-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    shawclan5 likes this.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lucskoj View Post
    You can find info on cummins website about their tier 5/stage 5 emissions engines. Basically they removed the EGR and combined the DOC, DPF and SCR into one unit. I can’t find the article that stated the EPA wouldn’t allow it.

Do remember reading that same article. Don't remember where. Also remember lamenting that the Cummins would NOT be available anytime soon with that technology.

It may well be that if you wait, holding off buying what is available today for the product of the future, when it comes time to die you never really lived.
    lucskoj likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2368 times
    Verndiesel ... I little understanding of Diesel engine’s optimizing a clean burn ,loading a diesel and low Rpms has always been a huge No No , I was very fortunate to have a fantastic Diesel teacher, His Diesel knowledge and philosophy was run it on the governor!!!! Now this was old day diesels with a fixed governor usually around 2300-2500 max Rpms. This was to keep your rings from sooting up and keep them clean and free moving..

Now my personal experiences with these issues began around 1986 with older retirees with a manual transmission pulling fifth wheels who purchased their first diesels not having knowledge about how their engines actually worked , One of my parents friend had severe issues with lack of power and tremendous amount of smoke, I asked him about his driving style? He was very proud and explained how diesels like low Rpms and he always kept it below 1800 Rpms but usually only 1600rpms .

I explained to him what he was actually doing was not good for his engine, I then explained how his engines ring where probably sticking causing his issues, his face didn’t seem to happy, I felt really bad and then I explained to him what I learned from diesel school, I then advised him to start running his engines Rpms up and next trip through some mountains to gear his transmission down and use the engine to pull the load and RUN UP the Rpms .

About 1 year later he came by my parents house and couldn’t thank me enough about understanding his engine, He had a story about climbing mountains and his trucks engine just broke free and blew out tons of smoke but started pulling like never before, I was extremely pleased smiling from ear to ear because I was concerned about his rings being permanently stuck.. Long story with a very Happy Ending for a WW 2 Purple Heart veteran who travelled our beautiful country for over 10 years...Never pull low Rpms with a diesel.. Now this was old school diesels...Modern diesels have a different strategy handling soot....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links