Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ?? - Page 8

Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ??

This is a discussion on Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ?? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Jinx first no disrespect I totally appreciate this whole conversation and you taking time to call a bearing manufacturer for their insight. I said in ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ??

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3775 times
    Jinx first no disrespect I totally appreciate this whole conversation and you taking time to call a bearing manufacturer for their insight.

I said in reference & support of Haul n Grass’s post / point about keeping a diesel revs up to keep oil pressure up & bearing load down.
    “utilizing the Tow Haul feature that keeps the motor 2k plus and in its power band with good oil flow & minimal for towing load on the engine or bearing load.”

You said “I wouldn't waste time worrying about lugging out engine bearings. In recent years heavy truck manufactures encourage pulling hills at lower RPM's they don't see lugged out bearings or even engine bearing damage.” I said I’m no engineer but the 3.0 is no semi engine either it was designed for use in a car. Plus they are twisting out bearings.

Now you say “I would be looking to upgrade my oil pump if I had the chance or maybe GDE can give a warning every time your oil pressure drops too low maybe due to heat thinning what have you”

But isn’t utilizing Tow Haul effectively keeping rpm / oil pressure up? Your statements seem to at least on one level contradict each other.

My interest in this topic is two fold first in helping my existing engine to last longer than the first. It just hit 200k 3,550 ish hours BTW and secondly to contrast to what we hope to learn about the changes in the 3rd gen engine as it relates to spinning bearings.

Perhaps one day I’ll invest in the next ED, more likely in the Cummins maybe even 3.0 GM except I have such a hard time with believing an aluminum block motor is a good idea. I didn’t buy this truck to do this business it sort of fell into my lap after I bought the It.

Anyway I think in time it has to come out as to why the ED has been twisting out bearings.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 06-12-2019 at 04:54 AM.
    MAS likes this.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    There's plenty of data on this engine if you look at Iveco products in Europe.
    Jinx likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    Here's a few photos that were posted here on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    I also collected a few images ...
    Bearings of cylinders 1,2,3, and 6 look good , 4 and 5 are toast .
    On with the Autopsy ., any opinion Jinx ??..
    For us non-mechanically inclined, what are we looking at? Or better how should these looks in a perfect or new condition?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4771 times

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    Jinx first no disrespect I totally appreciate this whole conversation and you taking time to call a bearing manufacturer for their insight.

I said in reference & support of Haul n Grass’s post / point about keeping a diesel revs up to keep oil pressure up & bearing load down.
    “utilizing the Tow Haul feature that keeps the motor 2k plus and in its power band with good oil flow & minimal for towing load on the engine or bearing load.”

You said “I wouldn't waste time worrying about lugging out engine bearings. In recent years heavy truck manufactures encourage pulling hills at lower RPM's they don't see lugged out bearings or even engine bearing damage.” I said I’m no engineer but the 3.0 is no semi engine either it was designed for use in a car. Plus they are twisting out bearings.

Now you say “I would be looking to upgrade my oil pump if I had the chance or maybe GDE can give a warning every time your oil pressure drops too low maybe due to heat thinning what have you”

But isn’t utilizing Tow Haul effectively keeping rpm / oil pressure up? Your statements seem to at least on one level contradict each other.

My interest in this topic is two fold first in helping my existing engine to last longer than the first. It just hit 200k 3,550 ish hours BTW and secondly to contrast to what we hope to learn about the changes in the 3rd gen engine as it relates to spinning bearings.

Perhaps one day I’ll invest in the next ED, more likely in the Cummins maybe even 3.0 GM except I have such a hard time with believing an aluminum block motor is a good idea. I didn’t buy this truck to do this business it sort of fell into my lap after I bought the It.

Anyway I think in time it has to come out as to why the ED has been twisting out bearings.
    Vern you have your way of running your engine I have mine, to me on a stock Ecodiesel tow haul is is useless I never use it even with GDE. Actually had a great discussion with the Clevite rep. discussed details of bearing construction, affect of heat, bearing crush, twisting engine blocks ect. ect. ect. Unless FCA really screwed up in engine bearing manufacturing the Clevite rep very seriously doubts the engine bearings are spinning as opposed to loss of oil pressure at this point I would tend to agree.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1588 times
    I definitely prefer running mine in t/h when towing. It keeps it in the power band better without having the pedal on the floor and prevents in opertune shifting. Merging on the hwy checking a blind spot and let off the gas a hair and it upshifts only to lug or downshift in a second. It may depend on what transmission programming you have. I don't have the version where it wraps the gears out, it upshifts ASAP and I find myself even empty using the steering wheel mounted buttons to downshift it to the gear I want and/or limit the top gear.

I am looking forward to the revised trans tune I will get with the emissions update stuff as I hope it encourages a higher shift point.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post

Looks like the people that want to run high RPM's are going to be SOL for the 2020 I see it has an increase in HP up to 260 hp. and increased the torque to 480 ft lbs. The kicker here is that they have moved maximum torque * down from 2000 rpm to 1600 rpm * this is more in line in my opinion with where it should have been from the get go. The 2020 should be a big change as far as driving it goes because the transmission shift points would need to be changed to match the changes FCA made to the engine power out put. It looks like this could be a pretty sweet truck if it turns out to be durable, I'm thinking heat is going to be something to be monitored when the vehicle is pulling hills.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    241 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Looks like the people that want to run high RPM's are going to be SOL for the 2020 I see it has an increase in HP up to 260 hp. and increased the torque to 480 ft lbs. The kicker here is that they have moved maximum torque * down from 2000 rpm to 1600 rpm * this is more in line in my opinion with where it should have been from the get go. The 2020 should be a big change as far as driving it goes because the transmission shift points would need to be changed to match the changes FCA made to the engine power out put. It looks like this could be a pretty sweet truck if it turns out to be durable, I'm thinking heat is going to be something to be monitored when the vehicle is pulling hills.
    If FCA engineers are doing things correctly the T/H mode would keep the engine in it's power band much like the T/H function does in the current ED. And given the significant increase in towing capability in the 2020 EcoD the cooling system must have been greatly improved over the current version - it was throttled back quite a bit in the Gen 4 1500 EcoD compared to the Hemi due to the poor cooling. Obviously the frame, axles, etc were all the same in the Hemi and EcoD - cooling or the lack of hammered us.

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    197 times
    I was thinking about the new specs on the way to work this morning. With the vastly upgraded tow specs on the Ram, it's now a cleaner break between the Ram and the Gladiator. If you need to tow, you get the Ram. If you just need a little extra power and room for your rock crawling, get the Gladiator. Saw one in the wild yesterday. Much better looking than on the computer screen. Still not convinced they're going to be worth $70K US to get the diesel.
    TwoBobs and Jinx like this.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Sponsored Links