Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ??

This is a discussion on Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ?? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I have heard the VM Motori 3.0 L engine has been considered a durable rugged engine in Europe I would like to read some info ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Vm Motori 3.0 L European experience ??

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

I have heard the VM Motori 3.0 L engine has been considered a durable rugged engine in Europe I would like to read some info and European users comments if I can. Also I get the impression the European models do not have an EGR system, anybody happen to have a link to any info on the European model ?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    268 times
    I do not know about specifics of the European versions of the engine, however I do know that a lot of their standards fall in line pretty close with our emissions standards. Where they differ I think is on emissions strategies, for example, our EPA wants EGR all the time, no matter what, whether it’s helping out our emissions or not. They’re also probably not having vehicles that regen every 30 miles in city driving. Also what’s to say the specs for each version of the ED are the same? Wouldn’t be the first time an engine manufacturer used different parts for the same thing or maybe the bearings are better that they use in the European engines, or maybe it’s simply a numbers game, there’s 200k over here and 20k failed, there’s only 100k over there and 10k fail. Looks a lot more reliable, even if it isn’t. Plus a Ram 1500 is enormous over there. Whereas they’re pretty standard around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    531 times
    The engine is very similar over there and uses the same egr. Biggest difference is there is a higher output version with a different turbo and exhaust manifolds. In europe the main emissions there worried about is C02, NOx emissions takes second place so Oem’s tune for as clean and complete burn as possible. Think gde tune clean but with full emissions active and monitored ad well.
    Jinx likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    KMS between regens would be interesting, it looks to me that the engine timing is being retarded for Nox reduction with the resulting increase in hydro carbons plugging up the DPF. I'm talking variable timing changes as you drive where the timing can change according to engine load ect.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    328 times
    My business partner is Dutch, he says most Rams in EU are hemis, many with CNG conversions. On the other hand most of the Jeep Liberties run 4 cyl VM Motori diesels that have a decent reputation. He says the #1 pickup truck that he sees is Ram, not F150. At least the Dutch have stupid luxury tax laws, a Grand Cherokee with Ecodiesel could run close to $200,000 EU, where as a Ram might qualify as a "Commercial Vehicle" and escape the luxury tax. Still they get hammered with crazy road taxes and a very high sales tax, VAT or what ever they choose to call it. I call it the "bend over tax. As far as the 3L diesel, other than Chrysler/Jeep/Ram, the only other vehicles that used were Maserati Ghibli, Quatropote and Levante and were offered with up to 271 hp. Would think a Quatroporte would drive nicely with that power.
    Last edited by HYDREX; 06-04-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Jinx likes this.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    167 times
    Based on what I've heard from the VW gurus, the emissions standards on this side of the pond are aimed at NOx, while on the other side they're aimed at CO2. The methods for lowering NOx are reported to put more stress on the complete system. What backs this up in real world is that in order to get my VW closer to the EPA NOx regulations, they had to replace several pieces of hardware. In Europe, to get the same cars to meet the CO2 regulations, they added a swirl flap into the air intake lines.

Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat67 View Post
    I do not know about specifics of the European versions of the engine, however I do know that a lot of their standards fall in line pretty close with our emissions standards. Where they differ I think is on emissions strategies, for example, our EPA wants EGR all the time, no matter what, whether it’s helping out our emissions or not. They’re also probably not having vehicles that regen every 30 miles in city driving. Also what’s to say the specs for each version of the ED are the same? Wouldn’t be the first time an engine manufacturer used different parts for the same thing or maybe the bearings are better that they use in the European engines, or maybe it’s simply a numbers game, there’s 200k over here and 20k failed, there’s only 100k over there and 10k fail. Looks a lot more reliable, even if it isn’t. Plus a Ram 1500 is enormous over there. Whereas they’re pretty standard around here.

Source? From my reading, EGR is the only cost-effective way to meet U.S. NOx standards. To the best of my knowledge, EPA does not require any particular technology. They set and enforce emissions standards and the manufacturers are free to meet them with any technology that works.
    Doug Dickerson
    "We have not inherited the Earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children."

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    268 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdougd View Post
    Source? From my reading, EGR is the only cost-effective way to meet U.S. NOx standards. To the best of my knowledge, EPA does not require any particular technology. They set and enforce emissions standards and the manufacturers are free to meet them with any technology that works.
    Cummins and John Deere have made engines that comply with standards without EGR, but none have ever made it into a unit as a power plant. Why is this?

MAS likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat67 View Post
    Cummins and John Deere have made engines that comply with standards without EGR, but none have ever made it into a unit as a power plant. Why is this?

Depends on when and what the standards were. Like I asked before, source? I am not doubting you, just trying to remedy my ignorance.
    Doug Dickerson
    "We have not inherited the Earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children."

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    268 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdougd View Post
    Depends on when and what the standards were. Like I asked before, source? I am not doubting you, just trying to remedy my ignorance.
    It’s part of the clean diesel initiative, I’m not a lawyer and it seems to be written for them, but it does bring up EGR, and the installation of it, control, etc.

MAS likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links