RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Diesel Fuel Lubricity and Cetane boosters

10K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Hammer 
#1 ·
After reading this review on Amazon:
"We’ve been using Opti-Lube XPD and Oil Fortifier in our family and small business fleet of diesel vehicles for about eight years. We’ve seen mpg improvements, but the big benefit is how the products protect the engine and fuel system. Not one of our eight Duramax engines have experienced a single engine problem, no injector replacements on engines that have over 300,000 miles logged.
These are great products that have proven themselves in our world."

I decided to give Optilube's XPD a chance in my Eco for a while and I'm noticing a slight improvement of MPGs and HP (we're talking maybe 2-3%). Could be snake oil - but I figure what's the harm?
Does anyone else have any other products they swear by for longevity and cetane boosting ability?

#3 ·
I've been using Hot Shots. Cetaine isn't much of a concern for me but lubricity for the fuel system is.

I don't know if it helps, really no way to tell but the cost is minimal.

With injectors costing anywhere from $400 - $600 and fuel pumps in the thousands I figure it can't hurt to try and add some lubricity and pray the fuel pump holds together.

#5 ·
I have a 275 gallon bulk tank and have switched to Opti-Lube XPD added to the tank. I know the Cetane rating before buying my #2, it's very good. I still kinda wish that I could find some B100 to blend in 2% for even better lubricity. Anybody in Maine or even NH know where I can find B100?

#7 ·
Your money. Put in what you want. The question unanswered is ,are the additives needed?

Most owners do well adding nothing and keeping more of their money. Additive manufacturers do well when you give them your money. It comes down to a cost verses affect issue. Only thing is we really cannot document the affects.

Reactions: markcfoster
#9 · (Edited)
I use a mix of Archoil's AR6200 & Hot Shot's EDT every fill up. Not for improvements but as preventative maintenance. My short trips (95% of my driving) are the worst for a diesel. I have used the additives since new and never had an injector or any other problem and don't expect any.

EDIT:
Additives were tested for lubricity in 2007. Here are the top two "best" by a large margin over the others"

1) 2% REG SoyPower bio-diesel
HFRR 221, 415 micron improvement.
50:1 ratio of baseline fuel to 100% biodiesel
66.56 oz. of 100% biodiesel per 26 gallons of diesel fuel
Price: market value

2) Opti-Lube XPD
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
Cetane Improver, Demulsifier
HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement.
256:1 ratio
13 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

Note It was a lubricity only test. There were several additives not tested at that time and there have been many more added since then. Thus the above results are not all inclusive but relevant.

#10 ·
I have had really good results with Hot Shot Secret program, Hot Shot secret Diesel Extreme every six months and Hot Shot every day diesel treatment. The increase in cetane level makes my truck run smoother and quieter and so does Shell V-max. Also I'm thinking the higher cetane level should have the affect of a small amount of timing advance likely why my truck runs smoother and quieter with a slight increase in fuel economy. I was a Diesel engine mechanic at the time fuel companies went to low sulphur fuel initially this caused injectors to sieze ect. even newer engines that had low miles on them because the sulphur in the fuel that was acting as a lubricant to the fuel system was removed. Considering the cost of EDT and the cost of a new high pressure fuel pump or injector EDT is cheap insurance to have adequate lubricity. .

#13 ·
An oldie but a goodie. Here is a useful paragraph, especially when combined with the statement by FCA in our manuals that fuel additives are not necessary,

It may be helpful to regard additives as medicine for fuel. Like medicine, they should be
prescribed by an expert who has made an effort to diagnose the problem, as well as the
underlying causes. Additives should be used in accordance with the recommendations
of the engine manufacturer, and the instructions of the additive supplier. Sometimes, indiscriminant use of additives can do more harm than good because of unexpected interactions

#17 ·
"Increasing the cetane number improves fuel combustion, reduces white smoke on startup,
and tends to reduce NOx and PM emissions. NOx seems to be reduced in all engines,
while PM reductions are engine-dependent. These cetane number effects also tend to be
non-linear in the sense that increasing the cetane number produces the greatest benefit
when starting with a relatively low cetane number fuel." -- Page 21

"What is the cetane number of diesel fuel?

In the U.S. the minimum is cetane number is 40. Some states have higher minimum cetane
numbers. The European Union requires a minimum cetane number of 51." -- Page 99

#18 ·
http://www.truckandenginemanufactur...tion+Pump+Grade+Specification.pdf&C=documents

engines perform better on 50 cetane than 45, i concur based on my first tank. It's as if they brought the italian diesel over and forgot we have 40-45 cetane, I can't even find 45 around here.

I'm at 28,000 miles and decided to use Power Service Diesel Kleen

it's $30/gal
fuel is $3.40/gal
2mpg is about 8% efficiency improvement

basically, you get all your money back in the fuel savings and arguably the lubrication additive is worth more than the fuel savings so it costs less than an equivalent gallon of fuel the way I see it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.