RADIATOR FAN test? - Page 2

RADIATOR FAN test?

This is a discussion on RADIATOR FAN test? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by bradyhn2017 i have in normal level why? question was just for Nola , don't worry about your correct level Brady .....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: RADIATOR FAN test?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyhn2017 View Post
    i have in normal level why?
    question was just for Nola , don't worry about your correct level Brady ..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar73340 View Post
    If the coolant level in the bottle is in the bottom of the tank the level in the radiator could possibly be low. The bottle does not completely drain as the level in the radiator drops as found out by Vern a while back. It could also be the reason the fan does not operate. So check the coolant level in the radiator.

Second with the A/C on the fan should run. If not the first place to check is the fuse as mentioned in the post above.
    thanks the cooolant level in bootle its high not low when turn on the ac ,,...no starts
    witih fan unpluged i test the harness 12v with truck off 13v with car on... if i remove the nut on positive terminal on battery no power on grey plug so i think fuse is working?

i dont know what test i can make my scanner its cheap dont have option fan test

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola3liter View Post
    It’s low, towards the bottom of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    for Nola :
    IMPORTANT ! get some coolant ASAP , get the right kind , it is written on the cap of the degas bottle ,
    << if you can't get coolant , at least fill with Distilled water : $1 / gallon at Walmard >> it could save your engine .
    A heads-up : when removing the cap , if the engine is cold , there is a sucsion effect and cap is hard to turn , it even came apart for some people ,
    if you can't remove it , get the engine warm a little , then it willl turn .
    your engine and Rad are low on coolant , that is the reason your fan in on all the time .next is head gasket failure and you do not want that ...
    once you will have filled the bottle , the engine and rad will come and get the coolant from the bottle ,
    so you will have to fill it more than once , the coolant should be kept higher than the seem in the plastic tank ( degas bottle).
    read first post in this thread , : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...g-systems.html
    there are a few reasons why your coolant is low
    -EGR cooler failure , a few different failures from that unit .( the worst one sends coolant in your exhaust , and clogs your expensive DOC/DPF canister)
    -the water pump leaking
    -the tube under the intake that takes coolant to the turbo has rubber O-rings that fail and leak , so hot ubder there ,
    that coolant evaporates , so you don't see leaks , but over time it will leak more and trickle down the back of the engine
    and then you can see traces of pink residue going all the way to the side of the transmission .
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 06-05-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    VernDiesel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1188 times
    For Nola again ,
    some reading material to get you up to speed on your leak , and the actual source , out of the possible failures.
    you don't have to search the site for hours , read those , you'll know then .

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...lant-temp.html

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...xperience.html

from Gonein10 : thread : post # 23 :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...tml#post837121

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...ing-fluid.html

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

radiator fan fail pls help me pwm wire 1volt

hi i have 14 3.0 2wd eco diesel i feel no ac i open Hood and fan no Works we check every fuse i test the grey plug,the grey plug have 12v car off 13s car with car running the grey plug have ground n positive the pwm wire have 1volt i test pwm wire with ground of grey plug marks 1volt

what you think ? bad fan? i test similar fan of bmw with similar system 3 wires dont run the bmw fan too am not sure if bmw fan Works just friend have one in garage n he give me favor just for test.

thanks for your help

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I check pwm wire with ground of greyplug marks 1volt 1;25volt

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    521 times
    To check pwm you need a rms meter but the first thing I would try is putting a jumper wire across the z fuse.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokedownbutgood View Post
    To check pwm you need a rms meter
    You might see some form of a reading(probably good enough to determine if the fan should be running), but RMS is typically for an AC signal. The PWM signal to the fan motor is DC
    To accurately measure a PWM signal you need an oscilloscope (doesn't everyone owns one of these???) or a meter capable of reading duty cycle.
    https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/be...tal-multimeter

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyhn2017 View Post
    hi i have 14 3.0 2wd eco diesel i feel no ac i open Hood and fan no Works we check every fuse i test the grey plug,the grey plug have 12v car off 13s car with car running the grey plug have ground n positive the pwm wire have 1volt i test pwm wire with ground of grey plug marks 1volt

what you think ? bad fan? i test similar fan of bmw with similar system 3 wires dont run the bmw fan too am not sure if bmw fan Works just friend have one in garage n he give me favor just for test.

thanks for your help
    Have you checked the large 100amp fuse on the battery post as John Jensen mentioned?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokedownbutgood View Post
    To check pwm you need a rms meter but the first thing I would try is putting a jumper wire across the z fuse.
    Z FUSE ? located in positive of battery<? i remove cable tester marks 0v if put the cable again grey plug have 12s car off n 13s car on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links