Non-deleted and over 100,000 miles? - Page 2

Non-deleted and over 100,000 miles?

This is a discussion on Non-deleted and over 100,000 miles? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I have not been over famed Wolf Creek pass. Yeah I took my BH grill off and replaced it with SLT honeycomb grill. It does ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Non-deleted and over 100,000 miles?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3529 times
    I have not been over famed Wolf Creek pass. Yeah I took my BH grill off and replaced it with SLT honeycomb grill. It does buy you some more time or speed and was an easy relatively cheap upgrade. If I ever bust my SLT grill I will see if I can remove the backing plate (black with round holes) from my BH grill so as to remove the restriction and see if I can reuse it.

I’ve never had the computer detune or pull the fuel on my ED. I have briefly been over both 244 water and 266 oil.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
    I fill-up with a minimum of B5 with every tank. Sometimes I get B10, B15, or B20 during the summer months.

I would get the GDE tune, but I'm going to sell or trade the Ecodiesel for a Cummins eventually.
    I will say there’s something to be said for the piece of mind with an HD pickup while towing.
    If you’ve already got the mileage you’ve gotten with no problems, I’d just continue using it as you have been and don’t worry about it. My old body shop guy has one with well over 100k miles on it now, completely stock, previous owner had a few problems, mostly emissions related. The body shop guy uses the pickup as designed, lots of good heat cycles, and hasn’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    207 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    I have not been over famed Wolf Creek pass.
    It's such a long climb that it gets very hot. Plus, there's very little wind being forced through the grille since you're traveling at very low speeds. I can't remember for sure, but when the engine detuned, I think my top speed was 25 mph. I was also towing my travel trailer which is near maximum tow capacity. I don't have the gears that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    Yeah I took my BH grill off and replaced it with SLT honeycomb grill. It does buy you some more time or speed and was an easy relatively cheap upgrade. If I ever bust my SLT grill I will see if I can remove the backing plate (black with round holes) from my BH grill so as to remove the restriction and see if I can reuse it.

I’ve never had the computer detune or pull the fuel on my ED. I have briefly been over both 244 water and 266 oil.
    If I were going to keep the Ecodiesel, I would definitely try to find ways to increase air flow.
    2015 3.0 Ecodiesel/Big Horn/1500/QCSB/4x4
    2016 Arctic Fox/Travel Trailer 22G/Onboard LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    164 times
    Good info, Vern! This gives me a little bit of hope!

Since I live right off I-40 in New Mexico, you can imagine how often I drive it. I had the engine detune going over wolf creek pass due to excessive heat, but that's the only time I've had the engine detune. I also have the Big Horn grille, which I've been told is a little more restrictive.
    Last time I was over Wolf Creek Pass, I had the wife detune. Altitude sickness that eventually landed her in the hospital in Colorado Springs.
    VernDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    207 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat67 View Post
    I will say there’s something to be said for the piece of mind with an HD pickup while towing.
    If you’ve already got the mileage you’ve gotten with no problems, I’d just continue using it as you have been and don’t worry about it. My old body shop guy has one with well over 100k miles on it now, completely stock, previous owner had a few problems, mostly emissions related. The body shop guy uses the pickup as designed, lots of good heat cycles, and hasn’t had any issues.
    We bought a new Ram Cummins in 2006. We drove it for 10 years and never had a problem with it. The reliability of the older trucks (in stock form) is much greater than the newer trucks, unfortunately. We'll be upgrading to a fifth wheel in the near future, so we have no choice but to upgrade the truck as well. My wife misses the Cummins, so she'll be happy to go back to the HD Ram, this time we will upgrade from the SRW to a DRW. Even though we won't be towing anything too heavy, the plan is to add an auxiliary fuel tank to the bed.

We'll probably have to keep the Ecodiesel for at least another six months to one year due to being upside-down on the truck, which is why I was asking questions about exceeding the 100,000-mile mark on a stock truck. We bought our 2015 Ecodiesel new in September of 2016. Then, I didn't make but one or two payments during the first year of ownership, plus I had it financed at 2.7% for 7 years! So, as you can imagine, I'm upside-down on the truck. Since buying it new, we've been averaging 26,000 miles per year. We now owe $26,700. I probably need to start making double payments on it, otherwise, the mileage is going to get too high and the truck will never be worth anything.
    2016 Arctic Fox/Travel Trailer 22G/Onboard LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    207 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskibum View Post
    Last time I was over Wolf Creek Pass, I had the wife detune. Altitude sickness that eventually landed her in the hospital in Colorado Springs.
    That's not good! Were you guys hiking or skiing?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    164 times
    That's not good! Were you guys hiking or skiing?
    We'd been skiing at Wolf Creek with no problems. Stayed in Pagso Springs and packing up and getting ready to head back to Denver did her in. Ended up at clinic somewhere off of I-25. They loaded her into the ambulance and by the time I got the kids back into the car, I never saw the thing. I was doing about 90 to try to catch up.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6370 times
    Refreshing to read so many posts on Ecodiesels doing lots of work.

Will say I am again surprised by how many tow large trailers with their Ecodiesels for thousands of miles. Wish all Ecodiesel owners could read these posts.
    biodiesel likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    207 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskibum View Post
    We'd been skiing at Wolf Creek with no problems. Stayed in Pagso Springs and packing up and getting ready to head back to Denver did her in. Ended up at clinic somewhere off of I-25. They loaded her into the ambulance and by the time I got the kids back into the car, I never saw the thing. I was doing about 90 to try to catch up.
    I'm glad it turned out okay. Tell her not to give up on hiking, skiing, and other high altitude experiences. She needed more time to acclimate to the altitude. We live, eat, an breathe at 6,500 feet, so altitude sickness is not going to be a problem for us unless we climb some of the higher peaks around the world that are pushing 15,000' - 19,000' feet.

Our goal is to summit the highpoint in all 50 states, which is how we have put 70,000 miles on our truck in less than three years. As mentioned above, we've traveled through 17 states and will be traveling through several more in the upcoming weeks. Based on altitude, here are the ones that we've accomplished thus far:

By elevation:

345 ft. (Britton Hill) FL
    535 ft. (Driskill Mt.) LA
    806 ft. (Woodall Mt.) MS
    1,772 ft. (Taum Sauk) MO
    2,405 ft. (Cheaha Mt.) AL
    2,753 ft. (Magazine Mountain) AR
    4,039 ft. (Mt. Sunflower) KS
    4,975 ft. (Black Mesa) OK
    5,426 ft. (Panorama Point) NE
    8,749 ft. (Guadalupe Peak) TX
    12,633 ft. (Humphreys Peak) AZ
    13,140 ft. (Boundary Peak) NV
    13,161 ft. (Wheeler Peak) NM
    14,433 ft. (Mt. Elbert) CO

By difficulty:

Difficulty: 1, Florida - Britton Hill
    Difficulty: 1, Mississippi - Woodall Mt.
    Difficulty: 1, Missouri - Taum Sauk Mt.
    Difficulty: 1, Alabama - Cheaha Mt.
    Difficulty: 1, Kansas - Mt. Sunflower
    Difficulty: 1, Nebraska - Panorama Point
    Difficulty: 2, Arkansas – Magazine Mt.
    Difficulty: 2, Louisiana - Driskill Mt.
    Difficulty: 4, Oklahoma - Black Mesa
    Difficulty: 5, Texas - Guadalupe Peak
    Difficulty: 6, Arizona - Humphreys Peak
    Difficulty: 6, New Mexico - Wheeler Peak
    Difficulty: 6, Colorado – Mt. Elbert
    Difficulty: 6, Nevada – Boundary Peak
    VernDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    207 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Refreshing to read so many posts on Ecodiesels doing lots of work.

Will say I am again surprised by how many tow large trailers with their Ecodiesels for thousands of miles. Wish all Ecodiesel owners could read these posts.
    Our travel trailer is a widebody (8'6" wide) and weighs between 7,000 and 7,500 pounds loaded. Here in a few weeks, we'll be towing the trailer a minimum of 4,000 miles.

Now, when I'm back home, the Ecodiesel doesn't get a break. As a hobby, I do a lot of my own landscaping.

Non-deleted and over 100,000 miles?-h7xwd4p.jpg
    Captainmal likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links