Normal coolant level?

Normal coolant level?

This is a discussion on Normal coolant level? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I just got my truck last week from out of state. It went through the CPO certification on 5/10/19 at 45,850 miles at the dealership ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brokedownbutgood

Thread: Normal coolant level?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I just got my truck last week from out of state. It went through the CPO certification on 5/10/19 at 45,850 miles at the dealership i purchased it from. I received the truck on 5/30/19 with 46,058 miles. Attached is a picture of the coolant level when i received it which i believe is low. I called the dealership and the service mgr there said they filled it up to the cold fill line. I read alot of different threads on the forum of possible causes, i guess the most common cause is egr cooler leaking but possibly loose clamps, cracked radiator, etc. Purchased the Mopar coolant and filled it up to the correct level. Poked around the engine bay and did not see any active leaks. If it starts draining again quickly, i will bring it to my local ram dealer to look at it since it's under the cpo warranty. Besides a pressure test, (will that detect an egr leak?) should i ask them to look for or run any other specific tests?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Normal coolant level?-20190601_184828_1559961471842.jpg   Normal coolant level?-20190601_184840_1559961485352.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Laramie CC SWB GDE Eco-diesel 4X4
    Liked
    975 times
    You're low unless that picture was taken when the truck was at operating temp. Cold it should be at just above the center line and hot should be halfway between the bottom and center. The fact that it is not black and nasty is a good thing. Are you seeing any coolant on the ground after you park it? If you decide to fill it make sure you only fill it with the purple antifreeze!!!! You can take a marker and mark the current level than fill it and mark it again to see if it drops any.
    2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab, short box, 4X4, GDE Tune, western brown with canyon brown light frost beige W/BENCH SEAT, wheel to wheel bars, front windows tinted 15%, 8.4AN radio and more gadgets than I know what to do with!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks, no coolant on the ground, yea it was sitting for about 3 hrs when i took the pic. I used the mopar coolant for the diesel from the dealership. I filled it up, marked it and took a video of the mileage and coolant level, so we'll see soon enough i guess.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perrysburg Dodgeboy View Post
    You're low unless that picture was taken when the truck was at operating temp. Cold it should be at just above the center line and hot should be halfway between the bottom and center. The fact that it is not black and nasty is a good thing. Are you seeing any coolant on the ground after you park it? If you decide to fill it make sure you only fill it with the purple antifreeze!!!! You can take a marker and mark the current level than fill it and mark it again to see if it drops any.
    The coolant level rises when hot just a fyi.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Top it off and monitor temps and levels closely. I "burned up" two gallons of coolant through the EGR cooler in 2 weeks. Dealer replaced the EGR cooler under warranty and coolant level has been stable since. (2016, 86,000 miles at that time).

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1188 times
    usual link for this , first post by Vern , ; https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...g-systems.html

coolant can leak from o-rings of the tubes bringing coolant to turbo , they run under the intake , coolant evaporates there as long as leak is not too big.
    when it get bigger , it runs down back of the engine as in one of the pictures below .
    to find out if EGR cooler pushes exhaust pressure in cooling system , and takes cooling system above 21 PSI ,
    which lifts the cap on degas bottle , then spits out the overflow tube , that tube starts under the degas bottle and ends
    at mid height of radiator on passenger side , that same tube looks like wire loom ,
    some guys have taped a water bottle on the end of that tube temporarely to see coolant was collecting in there
    proving it comes out the tube ,
    Second image is a mirror held to see tube originating under the degas bottle.
    "badest " possibility is when EGR cooler fails in a way that lets coolant go to combustion chamber via the intake manifold ,
    OR down the exhaust , OR both ,,,
    possibility of Hydro Lock on starting the engine , and clogging of the $3000 DOC/DPF canister causing more frequent regens .
    Old images posted before...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Normal coolant level?-degas-lowest-level.png   Normal coolant level?-img_2296.jpg   Normal coolant level?-unstuck-version-bottle.jpg   Normal coolant level?-version-1.jpg   Normal coolant level?-coolant-leak2.jpeg  

Sponsored Links