Need Windshield - OEM or Aftermarket?

This is a discussion on Need Windshield - OEM or Aftermarket? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; We just took a trip to Nashville and on the way home caught a rock on the far right side of the windshield that chipped ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need Windshield - OEM or Aftermarket?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    213 times

We just took a trip to Nashville and on the way home caught a rock on the far right side of the windshield that chipped the surface of the glass. Unfortunately within 10 miles a crack started to move from the passenger A-pillar toward the center of the windshield. The crack grows a little each day and is now about a foot across so I'm going to replace the windshield - but the question is to go OEM or to a glass replacement company?

I have a Laramie Longhorn with the auto-dimming headlights and auto wipers, both of which use sensors to 'see' through the glass. Does the OEM windshield have special properties to enable those functions to work or can I go with any glass company's version for the Ram? I don't have comprehensive coverage on my truck so the replacement will be on my dime. My local dealer saw a different chip in my windshield when I was in for the AEM update and quoted $568 (!) for new glass.

Thoughts and experiences welcomed ;-)

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6528 times
    Kind of surprised you do not have insurance to cover glass breakage. Twice I have had windshield repair the past 10 years. One from a bullet and one recently on my Ecodiesel from a stone or something. In each case an aftermarket company chosen by the insurance company came dn replaced the windshield at the house. There was a third time on my Ecodiesel again when I took it to a local windshield repair to have a teeny chip infused with glue. Again, it was fully covered by insurance with NO negative affect on my insurance rates.

Check your policy to be sure.

Aftermarket is what I got both times. I see no difference in what I have compared to what I had from the factory.
    TwoBobs and Whammo like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Kind of surprised you do not have insurance to cover glass breakage. Twice I have had windshield repair the past 10 years. One from a bullet and one recently on my Ecodiesel from a stone or something. In each case an aftermarket company chosen by the insurance company came dn replaced the windshield at the house. There was a third time on my Ecodiesel again when I took it to a local windshield repair to have a teeny chip infused with glue. Again, it was fully covered by insurance with NO negative affect on my insurance rates.

Check your policy to be sure.

Aftermarket is what I got both times. I see no difference in what I have compared to what I had from the factory.
    I agree, aftermarket is the only way to go. It will be half the cost of OEM (at least). And the tip about checking insurance is a good one. You may already be covered and, if not, adding glass replacement coverage may be cost effective. (Here in Colorado a glass replacement policy is expensive. Often dry and windy and glass damage is ubiquitous. I can replace a windshield every other year out-of-pocket for the cost of the insurance.)
    sourdo and TwoBobs like this.
    Doug Dickerson
    "We have not inherited the Earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children."

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    437 times
    I always use Safelite over the years, inexpensive and fast.

They will come to your house or work too. I watched a guy put in new glass in my old truck last year, pretty slick deal.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Liked
    499 times
    No difference in quality between OEM and aftermarket. Big difference in price. Just make sure they replace with the same type and tint.
    Whammo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselfever View Post
    No difference in quality between OEM and aftermarket. Big difference in price. Just make sure they replace with the same type and tint.
    The OEM glass is supposed to be made by Corning, they have a great reputation as far as I know so I am going to try and stay OEM. The government where I live puts gravel on the icy winter roads so chips are unavoidable the cheap glass seems like it chips easy.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Call your insurance company and play ignorance even if you know they won't help you. I had a rock on the interstate hit my windshield on my JK wrangler a couple years ago and called my insurance co. They told me the cost of the windshield to be replaced was less than my deductible so I was better off just paying out of pocket. BUT, because I called them, they gave me a discount code to use with Safelite. It was $50 off.

I have no complaints about the Safelite windshield. The guy who put it in even offered to re-install my lightbar after, but I preferred to do that myself.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    675 times
    On side windows my experience has been that aftermarket glass tint sometimes does not match OEM tint. That would not be as noticeable with a windshield. You did not mention the price difference between OEM and aftermarket. I always go OEM on all my stuff when possible. As you mentioned, auto-dim and auto-wipers could be an issue. If you go aftermarket, make sure the installer agrees to swap it out if you have any problems.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 LARAMIE LONGHORN
    Liked
    19 times
    I have a '15 Lamarie Longhorn. I got hit by a rock last year on the passenger side, about eye level(wife still claims it was a boulder). I called State Farm and filed the claim, then I had to call and talk to the service they use. While taking to them I told them I preferred to get a OEM replacement, she said it would be no problem, because of the sensors in the windshield. I guess the aftermarkets might not have them. And I still have the little Ram head in the corner.....lol

Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmags40 View Post
    I have a '15 Lamarie Longhorn. I got hit by a rock last year on the passenger side, about eye level(wife still claims it was a boulder). I called State Farm and filed the claim, then I had to call and talk to the service they use. While taking to them I told them I preferred to get a OEM replacement, she said it would be no problem, because of the sensors in the windshield. I guess the aftermarkets might not have them. And I still have the little Ram head in the corner.....lol
    Just did a quick quote on my 2015 with a local discount auto glass vendor. They have windshields available for all the sensors and connectors. 47% cheaper than OEM. If State Farm is paying then go for it. But if I was paying out of pocket OEM is not on the menu for me.
    Doug Dickerson
    "We have not inherited the Earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links