2020 eco - Page 3

2020 eco

This is a discussion on 2020 eco within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I don't get this article. They keep calling it a 3rd generation Ecodiesel. How...the 14-18 trucks were the first generation... I have to say. I ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: 2020 eco

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    503 times
    I don't get this article. They keep calling it a 3rd generation Ecodiesel. How...the 14-18 trucks were the first generation...

I have to say. I was very excited to see Rebel test mules and now that is confirmed. The new Rebel is also available without air suspension. I might need a new truck sooner than I thought.

What a torque curve change.

Biggest question is, what has been done to improve bottom end bearing durability? Sounds like a blank slate motor, not just a few tweaks. Hopefully that's an improvement.

As for max towing, don't forget that the 5th generation truck already had big changes to start with. Changed to 6 lug axles, lighter unladen weight for increased payload and towing, and an available "max tow" package on 2wd only that uses a Dana Super 60 axle. I'd imagine the bragging rights for maximum towing on this new Ecodiesel are based on the 2wd max tow package.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJL_57; 06-10-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    MAS, TwoBobs, malibubts and 1 others like this.
    2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel/8HP70 4x4. QC 6'4' 140" WB. Factory options: Protection Group, Exterior Appearance Group, Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Popular Equipment Group, 3.92, Anti-Spin, UConnect 5.0, ParkView
    List of mods - DJL_57'S RAM

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL_57 View Post
    I don't get this article. They keep calling it a 3rd generation Ecodiesel. How...the 14-18 trucks were the first generation...

I have to say. I was very excited to see Rebel test mules and now that is confirmed.

What a torque curve change.

Biggest question is, what has been done to improve bottom end bearing durability? Sounds like a blank slate motor, not just a few tweaks. Hopefully that's an improvement.

As for max towing, don't forget that the 5th generation truck already had big changes to start with. Changed to 6 lug axles, lighter unladen weight for increased payload and towing, and an available "max tow" package on 2wd only that uses a Dana Super 60 axle. I'd imagine the bragging rights for maximum towing on this new Ecodiesel are based on the 2wd max tow package.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    3rd gen. ecodiesel.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4330 times

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    267 times
    12,500 lb towing capacity? Doesn't help crap if they don't improve the cooling and don't have the payload capacity to match.

However, if it is setup right I might be hooked ... again.

I'm a sucker.
    HollyWoodGriz and Diesel78 like this.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phprof View Post
    12,500 lb towing capacity? Doesn't help crap if they don't improve the cooling and don't have the payload capacity to match.

I'm a sucker.
    I'm in the same boat...snookered again....and again....damn it, I love trucks......
    Diesel78 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie longhorn (sold) 2019 RAM 1500 (current)
    Liked
    153 times
    I see one in my future very soon..... love the 19' 5th gen platform, but would love to be back in an ecodiesel....

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    167 times
    Wife's been saying that maybe we should upgrade to a 2500. With the tow rating on the 2020 ED, we wouldn't need the 2500 now. If only I could win the lottery and not be concerned with how much value my 17 has lost as a trade in. Or how much money I still owe on it.
    Diesel78 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6414 times
    Know what I think?

YES!

As for that 3rd Generation thing, seem to remember there was an Ecodiesel that came out in the Jeep before the 1500 Ram. It used a slightly different oil filter and I think it had slightly different specs in output. Not sure there. Just guessing that could maybe be the first generation. If so than the 2020 would be the third.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phprof View Post

I'm a sucker.
    I'm assuming here - and we know what that means - that the 2020 EcoD got the increased tow rating BECAUSE of the improved cooling. The current generation was restricted not because of the truck frame, chassis, etc but because of the poor cooling system in our EcoD engine bay. The Hemi version of our truck had much higher tow ratings.

Count me as a sucker, too. This news changes my thinking on the long term future of my current truck (tho with the GDE tune I'm within 10 lb/ft of torque of the new engine though without the improved cooling and changes to the turbo, etc.)

Bob
    Diesel78 and 3DHawkeye like this.
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1395 times
    Pretty sure im not in the market, going to keep driving my '15 till it doesn't meet my needs any more. If I was in the market for a new one, id sure be looking at the new ram and the GM 3.0. Would love to hear more about what improvements they have made to the internals of the motor etc. to fix existing issues.
    3DHawkeye likes this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links