Is my engine going to blow up - Page 3

Is my engine going to blow up

This is a discussion on Is my engine going to blow up within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; It is virtually certain to fail sometime between now and 500,000 miles. Impossible to determine when....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Is my engine going to blow up

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2415 times
    It is virtually certain to fail sometime between now and 500,000 miles. Impossible to determine when.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie Crew.
    Liked
    215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC78 View Post
    2016 Ecodiesel 94,000 miles Never towed anything over 1000lbs. was out getting some fried chicken last Saturday and coming to a stoplight my oil pressure dropped to zero. It did not stall and the pressure did go back up while driving but as soon as I stopped again went back to zero and now the engine was sounding different too. Anyway thank god I got the 8 year 120,000 warranty since I got the call yesterday from the dealer they are having to order a new motor and turbo. this after having my EGR crack sending exhaust into the cab at 38,000, my rear end being replaced at 56,000, issues with the windows 4 visits to the dealer and 2 for the backup camera. I loved this truck. it truly breaks my heart but i am getting the new engine and the settlement money for that emissions thing and trading it in on something. I keep asking myself how long is this next motor going to last me. Its not like they have made any improvements to the thing.
    Undoubtedly the fried chicken killed it.
    jetlag likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I wouldn't worry about it at all, especially if you have a warrenty. If or anytime something goes wrong just stand your ground and request a rental car be paid for. I always get a rental when my trucks go in...I would buy a second pcm tuned from gde so you can swap stock back before dealer, leave exhaust stock, and get a stage one egr delete. Do this and you will only have to take about 30minutes to return to stock and have no problem with warrenty. I don't see how these trucks are anymore of a risk then anything else. I've seen two 6.0 gmc crate motors blow in my buddy's truck both with in 100,000, and no matter what year cummins, duramax, and power strokes always one sitting on the lifts at the shops. I drove a buddies 2018 Tundra yesterday and I hated everything about it. It had worst acceleration, power, steering, and I didint like how big the cab width is. Can't stand not being able to rest my arm on the window while I'm driving lol. He gets 15 mpg stock on average and I get 25/28mpg tuned, lifted on 35s.Love my ecodiesel. Talked with gde about there turbo upgrade last week.. Planning on that next.
    jetlag, MR. TED and sourdo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    194 times
    Other than EGR cooler removal at 98k km and added the GDE Hot Tune at the same time my truck is now at 176 k km and running strong.
    jetlag and Kazimodo like this.

Member #
    I have 64k miles and am on engine #4. I will be getting rid of my 2014 ecodiesel as soon as I get my $3k check from dodge. All my engines were covered under warranty. At $20k per engine (that's what dodge quoted me if I had to buy it $10k for dodge to purchase) I can't afford to keep it after the warranty is gone. Would never recommend the ecodiesel to anyone simply for the cost of engine replacement, might as well just trash it and purchase another truck.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrdwg101 View Post
    I have 64k miles and am on engine #4. I will be getting rid of my 2014 ecodiesel as soon as I get my $3k check from dodge. All my engines were covered under warranty. At $20k per engine (that's what dodge quoted me if I had to buy it $10k for dodge to purchase) I can't afford to keep it after the warranty is gone. Would never recommend the ecodiesel to anyone simply for the cost of engine replacement, might as well just trash it and purchase another truck.
    Did you ever get run gde tune? I believe the soot going into the motors plays a huge factor in blowing up. I don't think we should need a tune at all to prevent failure but there is no changing that obviously.

Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    100% of my ecodiesel trucks have had a failed engine.

No engine will run forever, so yes, yours will "blow up" some day.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrdwg101 View Post
    It's hard to believe that any one person could be that unlucky to have 4 go. It makes me wonder about how it is driven and serviced by the owner. 1 okay but 4 ?.
    lucskoj likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Teameno86 View Post
    Did you ever get run gde tune? I believe the soot going into the motors plays a huge factor in blowing up. I don't think we should need a tune at all to prevent failure but there is no changing that obviously.
    The dozens(probably hundreds by now) of oil analysis posted onthis site give no indication that soot loads in the oil at recommended change intervals are causing any problem. Perhaps you can tell us why you believe soot is affecting the lower end failures.

I wil also note that GDE has said their tune does not affect lower end life and one of the big advantages of their tune is getting rid of the soot in the oil and intake manifold.

N 48° 38.680, W 080° 40.837 (Northern Ontario)
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 SLT, QC, Ram Box, Black Forest Green, Canyon Brown
    Liked
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by namretsud View Post
    It's hard to believe that any one person could be that unlucky to have 4 go. It makes me wonder about how it is driven and serviced by the owner. 1 okay but 4 ?.
    I think that part of the issue is the lack of consistency in the way these failures are reported. When someone posts and says "Hey guys, my engine blew. I had xx,xxx miles on it and it just quit. It's being covered by warranty" it doesn't really do us any good. Where is it? What fuel doe sit burn? Where is it serviced? How many drivers? What type of driver (teen, elder)? Does it tow? etc ...etc .... etc ...

I'm not saying these reports are untrue, just that it's next to impossible to draw any useful conclusions unless we get all the same type of information all the time.
    howie12 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links