Is my engine going to blow up

This is a discussion on Is my engine going to blow up within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I just purchased a 2014 1500 ECO-Diesel with 86, 000km on it. I have been told I just made the biggest mistake in my life ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Is my engine going to blow up

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I just purchased a 2014 1500 ECO-Diesel with 86, 000km on it. I have been told I just made the biggest mistake in my life as it only a matter of time before she blows. Did I just make a mistake buying this truck? For 3 days now iv been losing sleep over this please help me out.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Longhorn ED
    Liked
    14 times
    There are plenty of people on this site who are still driving their trucks. They certainly haven't all blown up.
    jetlag likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I certainly hope not. Iv heard great things from forums and nightmares so fingers crossed

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1206 times
    Welcome to the site Stephenr , take care of your truck and it may run for 200000km ,
    read on this site about a few things , you obviously are in Canada , you wrote " km " on your truck ,
    so ; gonna be a lost post to tell you more stuff ...
    -the winter front should be used in winter
    -fuel when tank shows 1/4 , don't run it too low ( lift pump in tank is cooled by the fuel itself , when fuel is low , it's bad for the pump ).
    -IF you use the truck for only short commutes ,of less than 15 km all the time , you will have problems with the
    Diesel Particule filter ( DPF ) not having enough time to get hot enough and regenerate itself , ==> every 100km
    with stock tune ( computer that controls the engine ) the truck injects fuel on exhaust stroke to get exhaust temperatures over 1200 F
    that heat burns the soot in the filter , take 10/15 minutes , but only starts when engine is warm , if you ever smelled the "burnt paint " smell
    already , you were in the middle of a regen , it is not displayed anywhere on the dash ,
    if you are tech savy , you can get a dongle to plug in your OBDII under your steering , get Torque Pro App to communicate with
    that dongle and you can see all the info your truck's computer uses to determine the regen process . ( dongle and App total +/- $50 )

you will read about the GDE tune , it is a program
    that replaces the program in the truck's computer , to stop the EGR from sending soot from exhaust right back into intake manifold
    that particular detail is the weakest link in our trucks , the source of future headaches , ( EGR cooler = CRAP )
    - Important ; open the hood once a week and always keep an eye on that pink / purple coolant bottle ( degas bottle ) ,
    it will show you the first signs that something is happening that needs your attention .don't let it go under half level of bottle ,
    if you have to add coolant = something is going on ,,,,,,
    -read on this site , ask questions , a lot of guys who know those trucks will help you ,
    it is a piece of technology that truck , respect it and don't threat it as a 1980's truck ....
    justind, Havanajoe, sourdo and 3 others like this.

N 48° 38.680, W 080° 40.837 (Northern Ontario)
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 SLT, QC, Ram Box, Black Forest Green, Canyon Brown
    Liked
    270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenr View Post
    I just purchased a 2014 1500 ECO-Diesel with 86, 000km on it. I have been told I just made the biggest mistake in my life as it only a matter of time before she blows. Did I just make a mistake buying this truck? For 3 days now iv been losing sleep over this please help me out.
    Quit reading forums. Stop listening to people who don't own one.

Yes, some of them have issues .... so does every other brand out there. If you are so worried about a five year old used pickup with 86,000km on it, imagine how you feel every time you meet someone coming toward you on the road ... surely most iof them are drunk, high, texting, phone calling, fighting with their spouse instead of looking at the road ..... etc. The truck is the least of your worries.

Drive it.
    justind, 7milesup, sourdo and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Kozimoto thanks alot man I really appreciate all that info. I am a first time diesel owner aswell so all info is helpful to me.
    Docmcg, jetlag and sourdo like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    331 times
    As a former Toyota owner, as soon as I bought my first Mopar product= a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all my Toyota owning friends told me it would break down, blow up etc. Nope I sold it at 275,000 miles with hardly a problem. Since then, have driven Dodges and Jeeps over 750,000 miles, including 43,000+ on my Ecodiesel, trouble free! Listen to what guys like Kazimodo say! I highly advise getting the GDE Hot Tune! Yes, somewhere around 5% of Ecodiesels have failed. I don't lose any sleep. BTW, I owned 2 early 1974 Mazda rotaries. Most of those blew up/failed, but mine didn't. Drove one 175,000 miles, the other rusted out at 100,000 mile, took the motor out and put it in a boat!
    justind and MR. TED like this.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Stop reading the horror stories and you'll begin to enjoy the truck. This truck seems to have an abnormally high level of notoriety for blowing up, all engines from all manufacturers have failures. The best guess I can give based on numbers I've seen is this truck has about a 5% catastrophic failure rate- that leaves 95% of engines that don't blow up.

Get the GDE Hot Tune as soon as possible. Your truck has a nasty EGR system feeding soot back into the air intake which will most definitely reduce the life of the truck. The tune will turn that off, among many other benefits.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6409 times
    Who told you that. You did say, "I've been told".

If all the Ecodiesels blew up why are most running and running into the hundreds of thousands of miles - more if it's kilometers? Whoever told you that has an agenda against both you and Ram. He also must have known you were very sensitive or insecure and would suffer from that story. Whoever told you that is not your friend. That is cruel.

Now go to sleep.
    justind, MR. TED and Whammo like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Put 110,000 km on my 16 outdoorsman lots of towing sometimes pushing the tow limits with our 32 foot travel trailer for long distances never had one single issue with truck. GDE tuned at around 20,000 km money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RudolfDiesel likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links