Actual oil pressures with GDE oil pres. kit ???

This is a discussion on Actual oil pressures with GDE oil pres. kit ??? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Can anybody tell me what actual oil pressure they see with the GDE kit as apposed to the computer generated estimated oil pressure ? What ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Actual oil pressures with GDE oil pres. kit ???

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

Can anybody tell me what actual oil pressure they see with the GDE kit as apposed to the computer generated estimated oil pressure ? What pressure would you see with the engine hot from climbing a steep hill ect.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1531 times
    Hill doesn't matter, pressure just varies based on RPM.

I get 21-22 at idle with the GDE pressure sending unit.
    97hmcs likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post

That's a good psi for idle, engine warmed up I would be happy with that. I noticed on one long hill I was pulling probably 9000 lbs give or take my oil pressure was lower than normal but the engine oil was also likely pretty hot but of course I am getting a computer generated pressure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    That's a good psi for idle, engine warmed up I would be happy with that. I noticed on one long hill I was pulling probably 9000 lbs give or take my oil pressure was lower than normal but the engine oil was also likely pretty hot but of course I am getting a computer generated pressure.
    What oil temps were you running?

I've had the GDE oil pressure sending unit for over a year now, wouldn't run without it.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post

I'm guessing he was looking for an oil pressure when the oil is hot like 250+ which our trucks dont see with our aftermarket oil coolers.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    426 times
    While I installed an aftermarket non-GDE oil pressure gauge, the readings are similar.

When hot, idle is around 22-24 psi.

At 2000 rpm, about 40 psi. This is the one to watch as it's fairly steady reading while on the interstate. If the engine is really hot, that figure will drop to 35-36 psi.

At 3000 rpm, over 60 psi

When the engine is cold, oil pressure will hit 100 psi.

I too am glad to have it installed. At least give you a chance to get off the hwy.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sourdo View Post
    While I installed an aftermarket non-GDE oil pressure gauge, the readings are similar.

When hot, idle is around 22-24 psi.

At 2000 rpm, about 40 psi. This is the one to watch as it's fairly steady reading while on the interstate. If the engine is really hot, that figure will drop to 35-36 psi.

At 3000 rpm, over 60 psi

When the engine is cold, oil pressure will hit 100 psi.

I too am glad to have it installed. At least give you a chance to get off the hwy.
    Those look like real decent oil pressure readings I have not been monitoring my oil temp because heat has been a total non issue to me. I have the Maximum cooling package only noticed the engine fan come on 1 time in the 2 1/2 years I have had the truck everything comes up to temp then hardly moves.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Those look like real decent oil pressure readings I have not been monitoring my oil temp because heat has been a total non issue to me. I have the Maximum cooling package only noticed the engine fan come on 1 time in the 2 1/2 years I have had the truck everything comes up to temp then hardly moves.
    If your referencing the maximum cooling package from RAM as a factory option, it is my understanding that all ecodiesels have the maximum cooling package.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    331 times
    If you are getting 100 psi at cold idle, might want to switch to a thinner oil! I used to run Rotella T6 5w40 in my Arctic Cat Diesel. 1 morning it was colder than -20F, I noticed the mechanical oil pressure gauge was pegged at 100 psi. I probably should have let warm up longer, but after a couple minutes drove it and it blew seals out of the turbocharger! Fairly easy repair on my ATV, bet it's a beoch on a Ram, though. Switching to 0w40 Synthetic ended the problem.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    If your referencing the maximum cooling package from RAM as a factory option, it is my understanding that all ecodiesels have the maximum cooling package.
    I really don't know anything about maximum cooling but it is listed as an option on my truck. I have zero difficulties with heat https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfser...RR7TM7ES378484

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links