Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF?

This is a discussion on Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; So my EGR and DPF were recently replaced at Dealer all under emission warranty (39k miles), but since then I’ve had fuel smell in truck ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kazimodo

Thread: Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Limited 4x4 ED Crew 6' box, 3.92
    Liked
    2 times

So my EGR and DPF were recently replaced at Dealer all under emission warranty (39k miles), but since then I’ve had fuel smell in truck and worse mileage. No fuel drips in driveway or upon visual inspection. Thought maybe bad luck that an injector is leaking, but am now wondering if in replacing the EGR a hose wasn’t tightened or valve cover removed and not replaced correctly. Truck is back with dealer right now to fix an oil leak off two hoses coming from the EGR that they replaced but didn’t put back on correctly and to diagnose the fuel smell. Am thinking the fuel smell after they replaced the EGR isn’t a coincidence. What fuel related components get removed when replacing an EGR or DPF?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    570 times
    None if the technician is any good. Also there is no oil hoses involved with replacing either the egr or dpf. Something sounds off here do you have a copy of the repairs they did?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2 times
    Here’s pictures of the leaking hoses under the EGR on passenger side. In the pics, they’re the black rubber hoses that fit over the metal tubes, secured with a hose clamp and are all shiny with oil. I noticed the leak when changing oil right after the dealer replaced the EGR and DPF. I’m not sure where these hoses come or go; I assumed the dealer removed them to be out of the way when working on it. Kind of looks like there’s a barb on the metal tube that the line may need to slip over. The fuel smell is what gets me though. I read in archives a post about fuel smell from a loose passenger side valve cover after EGR was replaced. So thought I’d chime in here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF?-461550c1-0154-4c5b-b5d6-8d983ba4e8f4_1560408092042.jpeg   Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF?-7eca230e-04e2-4a29-be88-0756babe20c0_1560408386182.jpeg   Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF?-0960a254-cd3c-4af3-8eae-9f66d5fd0126_1560408419546.jpeg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2 times
    Just remembered they also replaced the intake manifold... They said there was a small hole/warp from engine getting hot when DPF failed but I watched all temps and never had a CEL until it went into limp mode. Is there a fuel rail or anything that needs to be moved to r&r the intake manifold?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2 times
    So yes, in reading, it appears fuel rails and fuel lines do need to be removed in order to swap the intake manifold. Hopefully that’s the culprit (they didn’t put it back correctly) and not a leaking injector.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    570 times
    The hoses and metal lines you referred to are transmission cooler line lines. Yes if they swapped the intake manifold then they removed some of the high pressure fuel lines. The high pressure lines are a one time use item according to fca so they should have been replaced if removed. Still sounds like the technician was sloppy. Just a fyi if your intake manifold melted a hole in it then it was from your egr bypass valve malfunctioning not the dpf. Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2 times
    The EGR and intake were replaced first, then took it home and had CEL, and took it back in to have DPF replaced. Dealer said they think fuel smell is from an injector and will advise today. Said he thought it’d be under warranty regardless. But will double check if they replaced fuel rail as well. Thank you!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1327 times
    Very possible that during EGR replacement ,
    they mis handled the fragile Turbo Up Pipe ,and it now has a crack ,,, you would smell exhaust ,
    it's happened before . it goes from turbo , to EGR cooler Actuator,
    fancy image of back of engine , and real image of part that breaks ,,
    of course , if you can see fuel spray in engine bay , then it 's a fuel leak .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF?-page-2-image-aab.jpg   Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF?-turbine-up-pipe-tends-crack-rupture-jpg.jpg   Coincidence Fuel smell, after dealer replaced EGR & DPF?-turbine-up-pipe-crack-leak-jpg.jpg  
    Captainmal and sourdo like this.

Sponsored Links