vibs!!!!! - Page 2

vibs!!!!!

This is a discussion on vibs!!!!! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter Definitely have a road force balance done anytime they're balanced. Also consider more front/rear swaps to isolate the issue to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: vibs!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Definitely have a road force balance done anytime they're balanced. Also consider more front/rear swaps to isolate the issue to just the tires.

Worst case, you might have to try a different shop irregardless of the lifetime balance/rotation deal you bought at the current shop.

today they are going to index and road force balance them all with a rotation. if the problem comes back i will be looking into other options. thinking they owe me 4 new tires of a different make..

OH my first post should of read NEVER noticed vibrations in the entire cab before i got new tires...i do not know how to edit these things so i can not fix it....this problem only started after the new tires.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    If the vibration started after the new tires, I'd demand replacements from the company that sold them. You have to address the coolant loss ASAP. Either warrantee or maybe a stage 2 EGR block off and GDE tune? I agree, Goodyear SRA's are hit or miss. Mine will make it to 55,000 miles, my company truck, a hemi has 72,000 miles on them! When they are good, they are great, but when they are bad.....
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6515 times
    You mentioned GDE and towing. Why?

GDE is better for towing than stock. Actually the issues with your EGR would probably not exist if there was GDE turning that gooey mess off. Now, if there is a leakage problem, that would probably have to be fixed. Then do GDE and clean up the mess in the air sensor and that intake tube.

Hope it's not too late to fix what running without a clean tune has caused.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500, Lexus NX hybrid, Mopeds, boats, jet skis
    Liked
    28 times
    Well, if you have a problem with the EGR, that AEM warranty should take care of it. Get free parts while you can. I'm paying a stelership $140 to change the fuel filter, just so I don't have any issues if my HPFP goes out.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie QC 4X4 Granite Crystal 3.55
    Liked
    230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokedownbutgood View Post
    Tire shops are hit and miss it all depends on how they balance the tires and wheels. The two main types are static and dynamic and since you complain about vibration at speed it sounds like they are doing a static balance. It also matters if the wheel is designed as hub centric or lug centric they need to use the correct adaptor. It is likely the tire shop that is the issue. If they cant fix the issue then find a different goodyear shop.
    Brokenbutgood is absolutely correct.....

I went thought the same thing a few years ago.. If they don't balance the wheels properly with a special jig (adaptor) that ensures the wheels are always held the right way in the same spot they will be out of balance every time they hang them on the machine, because they don't ever hang the same way on the machine without that jig... took me switching shops twice and two sets of tires at Sam's club expense because they don't have the right machine....
    sourdo likes this.
    2015 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Quad Cab 4x4 Granite Crystal with Black Leather interior. Edge CTS gauges, GDE Tuned, 20% tint. Plasti Dipped Emblems, LED CARGO, LED LICENSE,
    Former truck: 2007 3500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4 SRW 6 speed manual.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    You mentioned GDE and towing. Why?

GDE is better for towing than stock. Actually the issues with your EGR would probably not exist if there was GDE turning that gooey mess off. Now, if there is a leakage problem, that would probably have to be fixed. Then do GDE and clean up the mess in the air sensor and that intake tube.

Hope it's not too late to fix what running without a clean tune has caused.
    i was reading that with a hot tune, towing was not a good thing. if it does not hurt it i will just do that and no worry.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    UPDATE!

so i had to get a road force balance done at a ford dealership because they are the only ones in the area that had a road force balance machine, 74 dollars this is what i learned, max limit is 26lbs. FRNT LH 11, FRNT RH 27 REAR LH 26 REAR RH 37. went back to the tire shop with this information. they replaced 3 of the 4 tires.

guess what! same issue still. vibes in the rear. they took the tire with 11 rating and placed that in the rear. still shakes. i no longer think it is a tire issue. so i started researching on here and other ram forum sites.

a common issue i been seeing is rear struts and leafs are "under rated" or worn out. with 89K on the truck i am thinking no but what the heck, what do you all think? i do carry some weight in the bed , no where near max, i do tow a 21 ft bay boat around at times(father in laws) that is about 4500lbs

this morning we towed the boat and i felt the vibes more in the cabin, nothing alarming just around 60 i felt it instead of the 65. i later went under the truck looked at the drive train. where the driveshaft aft u joint goes into the rear diff that seal is starting to leak, very little, just enough to notice. i checked the fluid and it is right at the hole on a level ground, the fluid color is an amber color so the leak just started and my fluid is good.

so now that i am thinking the tires are not the issue would the leaf and struts be a reasonable place to look next? i did a "bounce" test like we all do and nothing seems out of the norm.

or maybe the bearing in the rear would be the next place to look?

i have never had this issue and i am lost. chasing the phantom vibes is starting to drive me nuts.

oh i almost forgot, tonight driving around 45 i felt the vibes bad then went away, last night while my wife and i were driving to figure this out the vibes (65-75) were coming and going in waves, never going away just got stronger and weaker at those speeds and i didn't matter if i was constant, speeding up or slowly down.

jim

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz_Tastic_Voyage View Post
    UPDATE!

so i had to get a road force balance done at a ford dealership because they are the only ones in the area that had a road force balance machine, 74 dollars this is what i learned, max limit is 26lbs. FRNT LH 11, FRNT RH 27 REAR LH 26 REAR RH 37. went back to the tire shop with this information. they replaced 3 of the 4 tires.

guess what! same issue still. vibes in the rear. they took the tire with 11 rating and placed that in the rear. still shakes. i no longer think it is a tire issue. so i started researching on here and other ram forum sites.

a common issue i been seeing is rear struts and leafs are "under rated" or worn out. with 89K on the truck i am thinking no but what the heck, what do you all think? i do carry some weight in the bed , no where near max, i do tow a 21 ft bay boat around at times(father in laws) that is about 4500lbs

this morning we towed the boat and i felt the vibes more in the cabin, nothing alarming just around 60 i felt it instead of the 65. i later went under the truck looked at the drive train. where the driveshaft aft u joint goes into the rear diff that seal is starting to leak, very little, just enough to notice. i checked the fluid and it is right at the hole on a level ground, the fluid color is an amber color so the leak just started and my fluid is good.

so now that i am thinking the tires are not the issue would the leaf and struts be a reasonable place to look next? i did a "bounce" test like we all do and nothing seems out of the norm.

or maybe the bearing in the rear would be the next place to look?

i have never had this issue and i am lost. chasing the phantom vibes is starting to drive me nuts.

oh i almost forgot, tonight driving around 45 i felt the vibes bad then went away, last night while my wife and i were driving to figure this out the vibes (65-75) were coming and going in waves, never going away just got stronger and weaker at those speeds and i didn't matter if i was constant, speeding up or slowly down.

jim
    well it isn't winter anywhere in North America so it cannot be ice or snow building up on the inside of the wide wheels. Are you driving in enough mud where it could cake up on the backside of the wheels and throw them out of balance and then the shaking throws off a chunk of mud and it goes away? The ice and snow issue is a real problem up here when driving in slushy conditions with the temperature falling.

I don't see the details of your truck in your signature. If it is a crew cab and the 6'4" box it has a center bearing and ujoint for the driveshaft. That bearing could be a problem and there have been a few on this forum where the mounting bracket has loosened and that caused a vibration. If I remember correctly someone actually had the center bearing bracket dall off.

These are remote possibilities but could affect you if your circumstances are right.

It is very suspicious that it occurred simultaneously with the tire change. I guess another possibility is they damaged the a wheel or two when changing the tires. If you have steel wheels it is possible for them to bend/distort the center of the wheel if they are careless how they mount them on the tire machine. . This can cause nasty vibrations also. Unlikely problem with the aluminum wheels.

OK, enough rambling. Seems like you need to find a competent shop to diagnose the problem and if you have a competent dealer that might be a good bet since they likely see a bigger number of similar trucks than other places.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1026 times
    Also, there are no leaves. Only coils.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    well it isn't winter anywhere in North America so it cannot be ice or snow building up on the inside of the wide wheels. Are you driving in enough mud where it could cake up on the backside of the wheels and throw them out of balance and then the shaking throws off a chunk of mud and it goes away? The ice and snow issue is a real problem up here when driving in slushy conditions with the temperature falling.

I don't see the details of your truck in your signature. If it is a crew cab and the 6'4" box it has a center bearing and ujoint for the driveshaft. That bearing could be a problem and there have been a few on this forum where the mounting bracket has loosened and that caused a vibration. If I remember correctly someone actually had the center bearing bracket dall off.

These are remote possibilities but could affect you if your circumstances are right.

It is very suspicious that it occurred simultaneously with the tire change. I guess another possibility is they damaged the a wheel or two when changing the tires. If you have steel wheels it is possible for them to bend/distort the center of the wheel if they are careless how they mount them on the tire machine. . This can cause nasty vibrations also. Unlikely problem with the aluminum wheels.

OK, enough rambling. Seems like you need to find a competent shop to diagnose the problem and if you have a competent dealer that might be a good bet since they likely see a bigger number of similar trucks than other places.
    my wife drives my truck, i barely drive it. daily commute is to much for that truck is to much. it has only seen mud and that was 1 time a couple years ago. i have the 20" "chrome" rims i guess they are called chad? on it and they are mostly kept clean. just brake dust and what not from the road. i have a crew cab 6'4" on it i believe. it's a 4x4 as well. As far as the center bearing goes i will look into that. i have to get it to a lift and check, my buddy told me the same thing to check that and i was just told to check the driveshaft trans yoke bolts

i had the rims checked for run out and all rims were checked good. no bent rims were found.
    i live in florida so no snow here lol
    today i will check the bolts and bearing for play

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links