vibs!!!!!

vibs!!!!!

This is a discussion on vibs!!!!! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; hello, i own a 2015 ecodiesel, with 88K on it. i have noticed a vibration in the entire truck while driving. so i knew i ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: vibs!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Angry vibs!!!!!

hello,

i own a 2015 ecodiesel, with 88K on it. i have noticed a vibration in the entire truck while driving. so i knew i was due for new tires anyways. i had 4 new tires installed (20inch factory rims), they are the good year that come with the truck, with mount, balance, and alignment. about 2 weeks into it we noticed vibs (50-70) in the front end / in the cab, slight pulling to the left. called the shop, they said bring it in for a check. they fixed it. new people in the shop...need i say more. my wife drives me truck more then me to save mileage and fuel. she said the vibs have been coming back. so i drove it on the highway at 70 and your teeth rattle in your head, the passenger side chair shakes something terrible. i took the truck to work, went to the auto shop on base and i had the tires re-balanced. they all were out 3-5 oz as soon as they put them on the machine. so they scrapped everything clean and re balanced all 4.

this being said. i drove the truck home, noticed slight vibs in the cabin as i was driving on the highway around 70-75. nothing close to what we were getting. thinking, whatever ill deal with it until i get my lift with new rims and tires. wife drove the truck the next day and she called me freaking out because at 45 the truck wanted to shake itself apart. she got the truck home and when i got home from work i jacked up each side. shook the tires, everything was tight, no loose lugs. i broke all the lugs loose and re torqued down the tires. i just drove it. only feeling a slight vibs in the cabin (i feel it in the steering but it is the same as i feel in the cabin) at 70-75 in the beginning, as you are driving it gets worse. drove about 20 miles and when i got home all lugs were still torqued down. i am scratching my head now wondering....

things i checked already

- tie rods have no play
    - hubs are not loose
    - u joints on driveshaft are tight
    - half shafts upfront are tight.
    - lugs are torqued to 140lbs

maybe a bad tire? i see not bulges or unevenness in rolling.

please help!

sorry this thread is all over the place

jim

Member #
    Vehicle
    2009 Big Horn CC 4x4 Hemi
    Liked
    368 times
    I am thinking it is probably the tires. The Goodyear's over the years seem to have been hit or miss. Mine were great and I got 55k miles with some decent tread left, but other people struggled to get 20k out of them.

Some things to check, front end alignment, a good font end shop could check for anything that may be bent, shocks, if you have the chrome clad wheels they may have dirt build up somewhere, check them, tires may be out of round. Years ago I had a side belt that was bad (new) and the tire wobbled.

I am sure other suggestions will follow. Good luck.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    545 times
    Tire shops are hit and miss it all depends on how they balance the tires and wheels. The two main types are static and dynamic and since you complain about vibration at speed it sounds like they are doing a static balance. It also matters if the wheel is designed as hub centric or lug centric they need to use the correct adaptor. It is likely the tire shop that is the issue. If they cant fix the issue then find a different goodyear shop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM ED
    Liked
    96 times
    I would get alignment and make sure the tire shop can do a road force balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2015 CC 4X4 Tradesman

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6519 times
    Go back again to where you bought those tires. Have them both checked throughly and also rotated so the front ones are in the back. If that changes the issue, it's a sign it just may be one or more tires.

My early experience is those factory passenger-rated tires are not as well made as a light truck (LT) or a full "E" rated tire. Just something to remember for the future.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks! I am sitting at the shop where I got it. They test drove it and when he came back it went right on the lift.

The first 2 times they did it, they did dynamic and the shop on base did road force. They are the good year SRA on the Factory 20inch rims (2015 Laramie). I didnt go to bed till 530 this morning and been here at the shop since 930. I am glad I have the rotation and balance for life with these tires. The guys said they are gonna look and see what it is. I hope its just a tire or alignment. She doesn't seem to pull. Nothing that seemed different then for what the road conditions are.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Since no vibrations in the front end and only a cabin vibration they did the backs. Found them to be out of balance again. So far the truck drives okay. I will really know when I leave for work and I get on 95 and get up to speed (70mph). They did say come back tomorrow if the problem comes back and they will re do the fronts and rotate tires around to see if the problem follows. They squeezed me in today so the machine was taken up when I got back from the test drive.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Go back again to where you bought those tires. Have them both checked throughly and also rotated so the front ones are in the back. If that changes the issue, it's a sign it just may be one or more tires.

My early experience is those factory passenger-rated tires are not as well made as a light truck (LT) or a full "E" rated tire. Just something to remember for the future.
    i should of thought of that before hand, was just under the impression that what came from the factory was best for now until i got my lift and tires put on in the future, if i decide to keep this truck. been problems since i bought it.
    i am about to bring it back to the dealership, she has been eating coolant since the emission recall now. noticed carbon slug in my intake from the EGR tube, used to be just a dense powder now its has a gummy texture and my coolant now at the bottom of the fill range compared to the full mark it was just at about 1 month ago. wife noticed the avg fuel mileage has dropped about 3-4 MPG since the update. Her average now 20 for her commute instead of 23-24 MPG. i was thinking GDE hot tune but not sure is towing is recommended on that tune setting. oh well.

jim

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1026 times

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1548 times
    Definitely have a road force balance done anytime they're balanced. Also consider more front/rear swaps to isolate the issue to just the tires.

Worst case, you might have to try a different shop irregardless of the lifetime balance/rotation deal you bought at the current shop.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links