Even if the engine blows I still wouldn't ditch my EcoDiesel

This is a discussion on Even if the engine blows I still wouldn't ditch my EcoDiesel within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Every time I hear the gas mileage of somebody else's truck diesel or gas, stock tires, no lift, the eco just makes me happy. (Thanks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Even if the engine blows I still wouldn't ditch my EcoDiesel

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Every time I hear the gas mileage of somebody else's truck diesel or gas, stock tires, no lift, the eco just makes me happy. (Thanks GDE) Even if my engine blows I'll just replace it and keep going. The torque, power and mileage is perfect combo, although gde's turbo will end up happening soon.. No other truck out there even interests me pre-1960 LOL. Feel free to post cluster pics. Even if the engine blows I still wouldn't ditch my EcoDiesel-0624190616_1561371681194.jpg
    HYDREX, Sasquatchilly and andymax like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    I'm with you! I delivered a 30 boat for a friend Saturday with mine. He drives a 2500 Silverado gas(hog). He was scared to tow it, with his Chevy. I doubt if boat and trailer weighed over 10,000 lbs, probably 9,500. Filled the tank before we left, 75 miles later, when I dropped it off, EVIC showed 16.7 mpg! HaHa, my last hemi Ram would struggle to get 16 mpg empty. I reset mpgs on the EVIC and went on a long trip. Now , it has climbed up tp 35.3 mpg! My friend couldn't believe how easily it towed his boat up the hills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Even if the engine blows I still wouldn't ditch my EcoDiesel-p1010172.jpg
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1433 times
    Took a full cab of 6 people and our 24-foot boat for a 200 mile stroll this weekend. It returned 17.1 mpg, and that included idling for 40 minutes with the air on with my kids and mom in the truck while I cleaned fish and cleaned up the boat for the return trip.

I wonder about the issues plaguing this powerplant, but all in I love it, it has been the best truck ive owned thus far and if the engine bombs its getting a new one and ill drive it more.
    sourdo and Sasquatchilly like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6494 times
    Guy at the rifle range Saturday came to me and asked about my Ecodiesel. He is driving a rather new Ford 2500 gasser. 14 mpg.

I answered all his questions. Showed him my EVIC while I had a trailer and quad hooked up and had been towing. This thread's topic gets repeated and repeated and repeated. It's all good.
    sourdo and Sasquatchilly like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    436 times
    I had to wonder myself when my wife and I took off with RV TT behind us on our recent 10 week RV jaunt.

But I said; "If it blows, it blows but I'll not worry" to my wife.

We towed over 14,000 miles in ten weeks, not one issue. Nada

It's a 21 foot Coachman, and we were packing a bit or weight, total truck, trailer, bodies, dogs, etc, was 13,200 lbs (scaled at a garbage dump)

My best mileage was driving along the Gulf coasts, flat as water and all day no wind. I got 16.4 mpg hand calculated.

But any hills or wind will drag down my mileage to an average of 14-15 mpg. The worst was going through interior Canada. They were still using #1 clear diesel and with the Northern Rocky Mountains, drug the mileage down to 11.5 mpg.

My last truck, a 2011 Silverado 5.3 L V8 got 10 mpg average, same trailer. The truck before that got about 8 mpg towing.

I do truly like this Ram over any truck I'm owned, for its power, towing ability, and comfort.
    MAS and Sasquatchilly like this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    340 times
    I agree with everyone above. For 60+ years I was a Ford or Chevy 1 ton truck owner and fan. Got my Ecodiesel new in 2016 and was instantly more than satisfied. If it ever takes a crap I'll gladly put in a new engine. It's the best truck ever! I still have my 2006 Ford F350 6.0 diesel to pull my 30' travel trailer. It's a tuned pulling beast but that's all that it has over my Ecodiesel.

An Ecodiesel and a Ford 6.0. Seems like I have a knack for owning the most controversial diesels.
    MAS, Sasquatchilly and TwoBobs like this.
    2016, Ram 1500 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4x4, EcoDiesel, 3.55 Axle, Leer 100XR Shell on 5.7 bed
    2006, Ford F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0 Diesel, 3.73 Axle, Leer 180 Shell on 8' bed
    2005, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4x4, 4.0 Inline 6, Rock Crawler
    ARCHOIL 9100 & 6200 and PRI-D & PRI-G Dealer

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    I'm with you! I delivered a 30 boat for a friend Saturday with mine. He drives a 2500 Silverado gas(hog). He was scared to tow it, with his Chevy. I doubt if boat and trailer weighed over 10,000 lbs, probably 9,500. Filled the tank before we left, 75 miles later, when I dropped it off, EVIC showed 16.7 mpg! HaHa, my last hemi Ram would struggle to get 16 mpg empty. I reset mpgs on the EVIC and went on a long trip. Now , it has climbed up tp 35.3 mpg! My friend couldn't believe how easily it towed his boat up the hills.
    35.3 is insane! When I first bought mine I was getting 30mpg completly stock. I still get 29 driving down to North carolina but, I will take the 24/25 daily over the constint regens, egr leaks and stock height and tires.
    Sasquatchilly likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3609 times
    Hydrex your friend with the 6.0 & 9,500 pound boat says the same thing every gas truck used for towing owner that rides in mine says; I can’t believe how easily or effortlessly this accelerates or tows. First It actually accelerates and it does it without loud screaming or high rpm and NO swilling fuel!! Now yes the 8 speed is partially responsible as is the fact that I’m not trying to run up the grades at 70 plus because I know the cooling system won’t handle it.

As to the ED spitting it’s bearings. At least FCA covers you well to 100k. A swap is quick and comes complete with new read expensive injectors fuel pump & turbo And 24 month unlimited mileage warranty good at Ram dealerships nationwide. Wished I had better understood the value in keeping to degas tank to the seam perhaps I wouldn’t have pushed a head gasket at 371. But now with 200k on the replacement motor I’m still very happy with my ED. Both motor and condition of the truck in general.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 06-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I have a bone stock 1014 Ram Eco with 65,000 carefree miles. I never , even on long trips not loaded got more than 17 MPG. 99% of my mileage has been 22-24 MPG. I just had the warranty flash and from what I can see the mileage will stay as is at best. Any suggestions other then GDE ?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1025 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
    I have a bone stock 1014 Ram Eco with 65,000 carefree miles. I never , even on long trips not loaded got more than 17 MPG. 99% of my mileage has been 22-24 MPG. I just had the warranty flash and from what I can see the mileage will stay as is at best. Any suggestions other then GDE ?
    You're the one who should be giving suggestions! Ain't nobody else had a truck for over a millennium!
    MR. TED and Sasquatchilly like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links