Lucky Dog's luck just ran out. - Page 2

Lucky Dog's luck just ran out.

This is a discussion on Lucky Dog's luck just ran out. within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Lucky Dog How could it be a fuel issue? Poor quality fuel leading incomplete combustion and lots of soot?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Lucky Dog's luck just ran out.

N 48° 38.680, W 080° 40.837 (Northern Ontario)
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 SLT, QC, Ram Box, Black Forest Green, Canyon Brown
    Liked
    302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
    How could it be a fuel issue?
    Poor quality fuel leading incomplete combustion and lots of soot?
    Lucky Dog likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 eco outdoorsman, 82D150 custom
    Liked
    197 times
    I had issues less then 12 hours after the AEM tune. The SCR system crapped out and set check engine light. They replaced all of it except filter. Has been fine ever since. And in almost 2 years and 50,000 miles I still haven't gotten a regeneration warning. And it hasn't used as much DEF fluid as it did before. I changed the oil a week before the tune and have almost 6,000 miles on it and am only around half. It would normally be close to a 1/4 til empty. Has anyone else noticed there usage change. And we even towed the camper with it twice sense the tune. One was 900 miles round trip. It should have used more DEF.
    Ecodisel, drinks Satin's bathwater and emits angel's tears.

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Poor quality fuel leading incomplete combustion and lots of soot?
    Interesting. I didn't think of that.
    If I were getting poor combustion, wouldn't there be a bit of smoke? I wouldn't think the DPF could stop it all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Interesting. I didn't think of that.
    If I were getting poor combustion, wouldn't there be a bit of smoke? I wouldn't think the DPF could stop it all.
    If it was poor fuel wouldn't you have the same issues now after you took trailer off. Or did you refill with fresh fuel ?

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFF4 View Post
    If it was poor fuel wouldn't you have the same issues now after you took trailer off. Or did you refill with fresh fuel ?
    Good question, I did not fill up after pulling the boat. But maybe it had to do with having a load on it?

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Good question, I did not fill up after pulling the boat. But maybe it had to do with having a load on it?
    Might be a good excuse to go out in the boat again. Ya know in the interest in making sure it's all good again

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Good heavens. A regeneration every 100 miles or so is mind boggling to me. That means the inconvenience is frequent and the fuel mileage sucks.

It has been a long, long time, maybe 90,000 miles or so, since I had a stock Ecodiesel. Still got my gauge to monitor it long ago and never ever saw anything like that. Now I see them maybe 800 miles or so, depending on driving style. Almost never while towing as the CAT runs so hot and it seems to just clean itself under normal towing operation.

My opinion may not be valid on this frequency if you choose to drive a stock emissions Ecodiesel. Hope you figure it out or choose to eliminate the problem.
    Yep, GDE makes a big difference. I saw 99 miles average when I had the stock ECM in there for several weeks after the AEM update. Put the GDE ECM back om last weekend, and it shows 779 miles. Again, I'm not sure how that average is calculated - all regens, last N regens or what.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie
    Liked
    223 times
    My Edge measured soot% has been erratic since the AEM. One second I look over at it and it's 12%, 5 minutes later it's 50%, a little while later it's at 20%. The mileage between regens is about 130-170 in town and up to 275 on the highway. I'm leaving on a towing (7k#) trip which is 150mi each way and through the hills in northern VT so it will be interesting to gather data. This particular trip usually returns me a 13.4-13.9 mpg.
    2015 Laramie CC 4X4, Protection Group, Convenience Group, Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Anti Spin Diff, 3.55, Remote Start, Uconnect 8.4AN w/Altec Lansing Speakers(9), Romik Steps, Weathertech Mud Flaps, Dual Liner, AMP BedStep, Stampede Hood Protector, Edge Insight CTS2
    Gatortrax One MX Tonneau cover, Husky Centerpoint TS Hitch, Total Load Control Air Bags
    Build 12/2014

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Bighorn
    Liked
    2 times
    Today I hooked the boat up to go fishing. Got down the road a ways and noticed my Soot level had climbed from 32% to 65% in about ten miles.
    I apologize for such a naive question, but how/where can you see the soot level?

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JLawley View Post
    I apologize for such a naive question, but how/where can you see the soot level?
    You need a monitor. Aftermarket

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links