Lucky Dog's luck just ran out.

This is a discussion on Lucky Dog's luck just ran out. within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Just got my AEM flash done on Thursday. I posted good reports. Today I hooked the boat up to go fishing. Got down the road ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lucky Dog's luck just ran out.

Member #
    Liked
    287 times

Just got my AEM flash done on Thursday. I posted good reports.

Today I hooked the boat up to go fishing. Got down the road a ways and noticed my Soot level had climbed from 32% to 65% in about ten miles.
    I got on the express way, cruised along at 65 mph, and the level quickly got to 75%. The truck went into a regen, and continued for 10-12 miles of expressway driving. Much longer than normal.
    I turned around to head home and got back onto the expressway. Finally the regen quit, back to 9%.
    As I watched, the soot level climbed about 2% every half mile. Very quickly it was back into a regen. It quit the regen about 3 miles from home. By the time I got home, it was back up to 30% and climbing.

Any one else experience this?

I'm going to take it back out without the boat and see of it loads up as fast without a load on it.

I drove about 40 miles with the exhaust temperatures between 800 and 1200 degrees. Engine temps were normal if not a bit cooler than pre AEM. I was starting to worry with all the heat that I might be posting photo's of a truck on fire..

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    23 times
    No wonder they extended the warranty on the emissions gear. But seriously that's the first post I've seen with a problem like that. One thing I noticed after running the AEM for over a month was my average regen interval was only 99 miles. That seemed low. What I'm not sure of, though, is if that's the average of every regen in the history of the ECM, or if it's the last 10 or what.

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    My truck would regen 40 to 50 miles. I had a bad egr cooler after AEM but it still only went 40 to 50 miles after replacement. Towing seemed to be worse for me also but I don't think it was as bad as your experiencing. My truck has always taken 10 to 12 miles to regen before and after gde tune.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    550 times
    wow. that sucks. I guess I won't change my forum name to "Lucky" Ram1...
    Kazimodo likes this.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6855 times
    Good heavens. A regeneration every 100 miles or so is mind boggling to me. That means the inconvenience is frequent and the fuel mileage sucks.

It has been a long, long time, maybe 90,000 miles or so, since I had a stock Ecodiesel. Still got my gauge to monitor it long ago and never ever saw anything like that. Now I see them maybe 800 miles or so, depending on driving style. Almost never while towing as the CAT runs so hot and it seems to just clean itself under normal towing operation.

My opinion may not be valid on this frequency if you choose to drive a stock emissions Ecodiesel. Hope you figure it out or choose to eliminate the problem.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with 3:55
    Liked
    43 times
    Something is not right here my friend, this is also the first I have heard of an issue like this. If you don't take it back to the dealer, I think you know what has to be done. Go Green!

Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    Update:

I just took it on a 60 mile ride with no trailer and no load.
    Started at 15% and ended at 26%.

The odd thing is that if I accelerated hard, the soot % would jump up by 10-20%, but then slowly go back down to where it was before I accelerated.

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
    Update:

The odd thing is that if I accelerated hard, the soot % would jump up by 10-20%, but then slowly go back down to where it was before I accelerated.
    That's exactly what mine did before I tuned it. I'd never get more then 50 or so miles before a regen though. Soot % on monitor would fly up on acceleration then drop at cruising speeds.

N 48° 38.680, W 080° 40.837 (Northern Ontario)
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 SLT, QC, Ram Box, Black Forest Green, Canyon Brown
    Liked
    346 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
    Update:

This almost sounds like a fuel issue?

Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    This almost sounds like a fuel issue?
    How could it be a fuel issue?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links