Any Engine Replacement Happy Endings? - Page 2

Any Engine Replacement Happy Endings?

This is a discussion on Any Engine Replacement Happy Endings? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by VernDiesel Truck benefits from ECM & TCM tunes for a reliable service experience without the check engine lights guiding you in for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Any Engine Replacement Happy Endings?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500, Big Horn, Crew Cab, Ecodiesel
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    Truck benefits from ECM & TCM tunes for a reliable service experience without the check engine lights guiding you in for dealership friskings for trivial codes.
    I would love to tune it. If I had, they would not be replacing my motor right now. If I still have it after the the warranty is up, it will get tuned w/ EGR delete.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3677 times
    Whitrock fwiw I know it takes some front money or credit but if I were you I would get a tuned ECM, TCM flash tool, thermostat, and EGR delete kit. Then have the AEM done. After which swap in the ECM and send the original back to get your core money back. Flash the TCM and install thermostat and EGR block off plates. Now you have a far better running better towing and likely more problem free truck with a longer life expectancy than it currently has.

When you get your $3075 it will more than cover your costs and should be a great investment. Like most investments their is risk. It can still spit a bearing. In which case the tunes plates & thermostat can be carried to the next motor. 350k may go by without a hiccup. Naturally properly maintained. Make sure your ECM tune includes EGR cooler delete & turbo brake and it does not have to be a full delete so the exhaust & rest of the emissions stuff can remain intact.

The long cranking can be a couple things. Might ask member Haul n Grass. Mine was the lift pump. I linked rock auto. They have a factory replacement and an upgrade Spectra unit. I went with the upgrade and it’s been good a long time.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,10147

Badkoz you can wait on warranty expiration. I didn’t and have never been asked about whether I had a tune. I tuned at 30k and would do it over with a new truck. I would do it again only immediately after purchase if possible. Risks both ways pick your poison.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 08-09-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    The EcoDiesel is too annoying to drive in stock form in my opinion. How people make it to 100k miles (included powertrain warranty) with the slowness and lags is beyond me.

I tuned mine at 4300 miles (bought it with 3900 miles on it). The dealers can't detect the GDE Hot Tune accurately, if they ask you about a tune simply deny or say you have no knowledge of one, it's how you bought it.

There is no reason to wait, you are only causing accelerated engine wear by leaving it non-tuned. Now if you plan to trade it shortly after the warranty runs out and don't care about accelerated engine wear from soot then I could see not bothering with the tune however I still find it too annoying to drive because of the slowness/lagging.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with 3:55
    Liked
    34 times
    Welcome to the forum Badkoz, sorry to read that it's under these circumstances. Your coolant loss issue and oil analysis reports are nearly identical to my problems. No engine replacement but just had my egr cooler replaced under warranty and am monitoring my coolant level. It has dropped slightly. I will be sending in another oil sample after a couple thousand miles and hopefully no contamination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links