Any Engine Replacement Happy Endings?

This is a discussion on Any Engine Replacement Happy Endings? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; My problems with my 2017 Ecodiesel started while I was towing my 4k lb travel trailer and lost power about 20 minutes into my trip, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Any Engine Replacement Happy Endings?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500, Big Horn, Crew Cab, Ecodiesel
    Liked
    3 times

My problems with my 2017 Ecodiesel started while I was towing my 4k lb travel trailer and lost power about 20 minutes into my trip, on level ground, going 55 mph. I got an error message that said "Service Electronic Throttle Control", CEL turned on, and a whole bunch of white smoke came out from under the hood. I had 33k miles on the odometer. Truck went to the shop. They called and said I needed a new turbo. After they replaced the turbo they called back and said there was more trouble, EGR valve was sticking open which blew a small hole in the intake manifold. They replaced all defective parts under warranty and I got my truck back after two weeks.

After a few weeks of being a grocery getter, I towed my trailer from Modesto, CA to Crater Lake National Park in Oregon. While coming home, pulling over a pass, I noticed my engine temp getting a little high, about 3/4 of gauge, I turned off the AC and temp immediately came down, (like, too fast immediately, almost instant). I pulled over at the next gas station and noticed my coolant reservoir was empty, also noticed my oil level was about a half an inch above the max line on the dip stick. Added distilled water, drove home and made an appointment to have oil changed. Before I took the truck to the shop, I took an oil sample and sent it off to an oil lab. Told the service writer about coolant loss and high oil level and asked them to investigate. They pressure checked the coolant system and told me everything was honky-dory, they changed oil and topped off fluids.

After a week, I noticed the coolant reservoir was nearly empty again, I took the truck back to the shop, talked to service manager, and said it was not honky-dory. I got my oil analysis back and it said I had coolant contamination in my oil, potassium and silicon contaminants were critically high indicating coolant contamination. I gave oil analysis report to service manager as well. They called after a few days and said FCA Engineering ordered a wet/dry compression check and they found two cylinders to have low compression. They called back two more days later (yesterday), and told me FCA Engineering told them to replace the engine. He said he had to order parts and that was the last I've heard at this point.

Next Tuesday, the truck will have gone over 30 days total in the shop, and it's currently at three attempts to fix. I'm wondering if I should go with the replaced engine or start Lemon Law attempt and try to upgrade to 3/4 ton with a Cummins. I'm kinda on the fence though. I would also like to drive this truck until it's paid off, enjoy some more 30 mpg for a few years and then trade it in for a Cummins.

I've read a lot of horror stories about engine replacements and multiple engine replacements, but nothing very recent.

My question is this. Anybody get an engine replacement and happy with their truck? Anybody getting 100k+ out of an engine replacement?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4567 times
    It sounds like the oil cooler failed and contaminated the engine with coolant. There have been many engine replacements reported and I haven't seen many issues after the replacement. I does seem exceptionally long before the engine replacement was apprved.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2411 times
    I believe if it was an oil cooler failure the OP would have noticed oil in his coolant tank when adding the distilled water to his low tank , 2nd when the dealership performed the compression test 2 cylinders low on compression = Blown Head-gasket...
    sourdo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4567 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    I believe if it was an oil cooler failure the OP would have noticed oil in his coolant tank when adding the distilled water to his low tank , 2nd when the dealership performed the compression test 2 cylinders low on compression = Blown Head-gasket...
    That makes more sense.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6661 times
    To answer your question, Vern here replaced his engine after around 280,000 miles. The new engine is now about another 300,000 miles and still running.

Back in late 2014 and early 2015 there were often talk here of people having an engine replaced. Granted maybe two or three actually had two replacements and then we heard nothing about them. The rest with those replacements may have now had 3-5 years of satisfied usage. How many miles would some of them have?

Only the shadow knows as there are many over 100K and lots over 200K miles today.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    I would review your states lemon law. Most likely you will do very well under the lemon law and cold get a 2019 Ecodiesel.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500, Big Horn, Crew Cab, Ecodiesel
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, Captainmal. Good to hear.

No oil in the reservoir. I was looking for it, this truck has the prettiest coolant I've ever seen...

I was thinking head gasket too, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear they were replacing the engine. Makes me think there's more going on.

This truck really does suit my needs, and I would love to get 100k+ out of it. My next truck will most likely be a Cummins, but I'd like to put that off for a few years and squirrel around with my near 30 mpg.

I would just like to feel comfortable hauling my trailer over the big passes without worrying about another white smoke incident.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
    I would review your states lemon law. Most likely you will do very well under the lemon law and cold get a 2019 Ecodiesel.
    I believe most states fall under the 1 year or 18,000 mile rule for claiming a lemon. The notable exception is New Jersey which is 2 years and 24,000 miles. My 2018 eco diesel just failed with 24,489 miles and 14 months on it. So far it’s been a comedy of errors trying to get the engine replaced. The tech that was working on the engine just quit so now the dealership has no one available to install the engine. I’m sitting at three weeks now with no resolution is sight and very limited communication as to what in world even caused the failure.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3678 times
    My first engine pushed a head gasket at 371,000. I think Previous low coolant from EGR leak had taken a toll. Upon tear down bearings were well worn as well. Replacement motor has 217,000 only issue has been dirty fuel. Truck benefits from ECM & TCM tunes for a reliable service experience without the check engine lights guiding you in for dealership friskings for trivial codes.
    Captainmal likes this.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ram ecodiesel, 03'ford 250 6.0 superduty, 05' volkswagen jetta tdi, toro 23hp kubota diesel
    Liked
    29 times
    engine replaced at 23,000 and have 113,000, water pump replaced at 98,000 and egr cooler orings leak to the outside when the night temp cools quickly, aint scared to keep it too 300,000. Have long crank times occasionally and trying to figure it out before taking to dealer. Not tuned yet. Great tow truck for 7500+ lb camper too.
    TwoBobs likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links