32 gallon fuel tank in a 2014 eco

This is a discussion on 32 gallon fuel tank in a 2014 eco within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; did the delete on my 2014 no longer need the def tank. was wondering if anyone has tried putting the 32 gal fuel tank under ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

did the delete on my 2014 no longer need the def tank. was wondering if anyone has tried putting the 32 gal fuel tank under there eco diesel.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2360 times
    Im sure it would fit and diesel doesn't expand as much as gasoline so there isn't an issue with expansion room.
    There is also the Titan 39 gallon fuel tank but it is for Crew Cabs w/6.4' bed though

Member #
    do you know if the fuel pump is positioned in the same place on both tanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1615 times
    Will the lift pumps interchange between the gasser and the diesel? I would think there are some physical differences that would prevent adapting the 32gal for diesel use.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    I was hoping to use the pump and fittings from the old tank but have not compared the two. found a salvage yard with a 32 that's out of the truck so I can do some measuring . hope to take a look at it this week. I'll let you know.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6633 times
    Been a few years but someone tried to just use the DEF tank for diesel. They played with a connection down low between the tanks so the fuel would naturally just flow between them. That left the fuel pump in the main tank untouched to work as normal.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    I thought of that but was afraid it would be hard to get the def tank cleaned out completely and it is very corrosive.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I thought of that but was afraid it would be hard to get the def tank cleaned out completely and it is very corrosive.
    Take that def tank out. Flush it good with water and let her dry. Ready for use.. Just need something solid to connect the two tanks at the bottom.. Should be good to go.. I will do this once the warranty is up and truck is fully deleted.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1615 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r3gill View Post
    Take that def tank out. Flush it good with water and let her dry. Ready for use.. Just need something solid to connect the two tanks at the bottom.. Should be good to go.. I will do this once the warranty is up and truck is fully deleted.
    Think you'll be able to tap and connect two plastic tanks with no leaks?
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6633 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Think you'll be able to tap and connect two plastic tanks with no leaks?
    Do remember that as an issue. Don't remember the solution Think I have an idea for the OP.

Rather than cutting into and cutting a low tap or drain in the main tank, use a simple electric transfer pump. On the main tank a simple tap into the fuel filler (RDS offers one) and the pump mounted there and switched with a simple toggle in the cab. Then just run a line from the pump into the top filler of the DEF tank. When the fuel level drops a bit in the main tank, turn on that transfer pump and pump the fuel from the DEF tank out into the main one. I have pressure pumps in my boat that I use for fresh water to the sinks. They are quite cheap, self-prime and also auto shut off.

Bet it would work and probably cost less than $100. My RDS extra bed fuel tank was about $200 and more for the fuel transfer valve into the main tank filler tube. Of course that's 20 gallons in size and there are larger. The extra 8 gallons the DEF tank overs would sure be nice if accessed inexpensively.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links