GDE Tune or Not? - Page 2

GDE Tune or Not?

This is a discussion on GDE Tune or Not? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; You will love it and wondered how you lived without it! I got mine in my 17 at 10k and was a huge difference in ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: GDE Tune or Not?

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    You will love it and wondered how you lived without it!
    I got mine in my 17 at 10k and was a huge difference in towing m, no more turbo lag, and better fuel economy.
    Power seems so much more “there” when I want it, probably due to increase response.

Things to watch out for if you get GDE tune:

Warranty work or even an oil change at the dealer and he will reflash your computer and wipe the tune without telling you.. they reflash upgrades automatically.

If this happens you will need to send your ecu back to GDE, and although yes it’s only $50, what they don’t tell you is all the extras(addons) you had with it are full price!
    Like, DEF disable, gear down, cold weather kick down etc ended up costing me several hundred dollars!

If you disable DEF, make sure it is always full! Add a few gallons every year to top it off.
    The def fluid evaporates in the tank eventually and crystallizes on the pump, destroying it. And it cost thousands to fix it!
    I was lucky, after the first year it was still under warrantee but they questioned how I was able to drive it empty. I played dumb of course and they had already wiped my ecu. Which is how it came up,, if they had not, I would have never known until after i traded it in or sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1615 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarum View Post
    Things to watch out for if you get GDE tune:

Warranty work or even an oil change at the dealer and he will reflash your computer and wipe the tune without telling you.. they reflash upgrades automatically.

If this happens you will need to send your ecu back to GDE, and although yes it’s only $50, what they don’t tell you is all the extras(addons) you had with it are full price!
    Like, DEF disable, gear down, cold weather kick down etc ended up costing me several hundred dollars!

If you disable DEF, make sure it is always full! Add a few gallons every year to top it off.
    The def fluid evaporates in the tank eventually and crystallizes on the pump, destroying it. And it cost thousands to fix it!
    I was lucky, after the first year it was still under warrantee but they questioned how I was able to drive it empty. I played dumb of course and they had already wiped my ecu. Which is how it came up,, if they had not, I would have never known until after i traded it in or sold it.
    It's been my experience that this is wrong. I've had my GDE ECM updated several times and was never charged a second time for the add-oin options. Each update was only $50, nothing additional for all the options I have (regen msg, high idle, turbo brake, oil pressure sender).

Fill the DEF tank half full with distilled water if you have the DEF system turned off.
    Mopar73340 and VernDiesel like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    882 times
    Ditto to the above post. They don’t charge extra for the options if a reflash is needed, it’s still $50.

GDE spent many hours testing their tune before it was released. The tune is subtle, there are no night & day differences your really going to notice except for the lack of hesitation most have experienced with the stock tune and the way the oil stays clean do to the EGR being turned off which as stated above is worth the price of the tune if you plan on keeping the truck any length of time. The other benefits such as the lack of check engine lights for emissions equipment, slight fuel mileage increases, reduction in soot production, less regenerations, are all icing on the cake.
    2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I have been giving some thought in how to respond to this response. Gotta say, it's not at all what I expected from this forum. Yes, I have looked at several postings regarding GDE Hot tunes, however I haven't devoted all of my time in researching other GDE postings. Some of the ones I have read have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. Some have been absolutely hammered as being bogus or out and out lies regarding the claims made. Others have been very conservative in their claims. In my 70 plus years, I have learned that it's not out of line to ask an honest question of those who may be more in the know about a given subject than me, hence my question to the forum. It appears that I have received a few honest responses. The bottom line is that I'm still in sticker shock after putting out over
    $40K+ for a 1/2 ton pickup. The additional $700-$1000 for an upgrade to my truck seems worthy of some additional research. As you mentioned, I have been a member of this forum for over 5 years. Others postings carried a great deal of weight in my decision to buy the truck.
    My 17 has the lack of throttle response when cold, I dont drive hard so when I pulled out I eased into the throttle until the point I knew I was going to get hit and had to push it down to get it to go. My dealer offers a lifetime powertrain warranty so I had no intention of tuning the truck due to what might happen. Now that I see ram has dropped their prices so low on trucks like mine that I'll never be able to sell it, I'm considering tuning it to keep it. I've got it listed at 33k with 16000 miles and not one person interested. I had an 02 duramax and attempted some of my own tuning with efi live. A poor tune yielded poor results or a tuck that was hard to drive which is what the factory has done, it's a terrible tune. What I'm getting at is, there is no doubt in my mind that GDE (and others) have apparently made a very good tune that corrects the issues the factory created.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4546 times

Wrong.
    Bounty Hunter likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1315 times
    Things to watch out for if you get GDE tune:... If this happens you will need to send your ecu back to GDE,
    and although yes it’s only $50, what they don’t tell you is all the extras (addons) you had with it are full price!

I was lucky, after the first year it was still under warrantee but they questioned how I was able to drive it empty.
    I played dumb of course and they had already wiped my ecu.
    Which is how it came up,, if they had not, I would have never known until after i traded it in or sold it.

WRONG ... not only all the options remain , add to that , even if you sell your tuned ECM to someone else , (when
    you sell your truck ) , the tune is transferable , and whoever buys your ECM from you , keeps all the options you had
    at no extra cost .

I see you have a 2017 , you must have had the early 2017 hot tune , GDE had not figured out the new software completely
    in the first version of the 2017 tune , and the DEF was turned OFF , they soon figured the thing out , and DEF usage was
    back in with the hot tune , unless you paid for deactivation of DEF , not recommended for reasons you wrote , that is why GDE
    reinserted the DEF function on the tunes.
    it was in early june 2018 , see here : see post # 30 in this thread :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...tml#post891312

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel; GDE tuned
    Liked
    21 times
    Braumeister, I was like you, I researched for several months, if not a year, reading post after post. The thing I was really looking for was the "negatives", and in all honesty, it was really difficult to find posts that were negative about GDE, which told me something, people are happy with it and it's been around for many years.

I PM'd different people who had different tunes to get their honest feedback. Some had tried different tunes so they were great conversations to have to hear the comparables. I'm up in Canada, so for me, the options were Celtic Tuning or drive down to Detroit and get GDE. Of everyone I talked to, many had one and switched to the other, but it always came back to "get GDE" it's far superior.

Yes, you can get HP gains from pretty much most tunes, but that's not what I was after. I wanted a tune that would fix up all the problems that the stock tune was creating in hopes that my truck would last until the day I was ready to sell it... And I wasn't into paying for two different tunes just to test one vs the other. I don't have that kinda money to burn.

With GDE, I reported the following:

i) stock regens on my 2016 truck were happening around every 150 km (approx every 2 days). When I got GDE, my regens now occur every 1100 - 1200 km (approx once every 3-4 weeks). That alone is less wear and tear on the DPF (the heating cycle of getting up to 1300 F and sustaining those kinds is temps is bound to take it's toll on the DPF in few years, so if I can reduce regens, that's a POSITIVE. Also fuel economy takes a hit everytime we regen so that has improved. And extra unburned fuel (not sure on this) but IMO, could end up in the cylinders / oil and create fuel dilution which was a reported problem with other tunes that didn't reduce regen frequency. Fuel dilution is not good for bearings!!

ii) cleaner oil, cleaner intake, cleaner diffuser tube, cleaner MAP sensor is a plus (no computer issues).

iii) increased MPG - With stock, I was averaging around 23 - 25 mpg, with GDE, if I drive conservatively, I'm up in the 29-30 mpg range.

iv) no more lag when you hit the gas. With the original stock tune, (I never got the AEM), I also had issues pulling onto the highway, cutting someone off, hitting the gas and waiting 3-4 seconds before the truck would move. Now, I can do that with GDE and not worry cause the truck responds when I need it to move.

GDE is not a big HP gain, nor do they sell it as such. For me, it was about looking at all the problems people are having with this truck and finding a tune that addresses the problems so that in theory, this truck will hopefully last me a few years and not have the issues that others are having. It's only been 3 months, but so far, I am glad I got it.

Hope that helps.

Member #
    Absolutely, shut off the exhaust recirc from the egr, it will kill your engine! Soot will turn into a briquette in your manifold, i did gde tune, and egr block off, completely removed egr cooler as it was leaking coolant into my manifold, much better now!

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

GDE Tune or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    WRONG ... not only all the options remain , add to that , even if you sell your tuned ECM to someone else , (when
    you sell your truck ) , the tune is transferable , and whoever buys your ECM from you , keeps all the options you had
    at no extra cost .
    4 people chimed in and said “Wrong”
    If they are correct, then I got ripped off by green diesel engendering!

I did have to pay for addons on the reflash 100%
    I even called first and was told I had to check them off again or it will come with regular flash and no addons.
    See screenys showing original purchase and then reflash purchase.
    -minus $650 for core charge on each bill

You are correct with earlier version of the flash disabled def, I liked it so much I made sure it was added on the reflash..
    I also have a 2016 ram eco and got the flash for that truck too, and paid 50 extra to have def turned off. I’m very careful that is does not get reflashed
    I wouldn’t have another without GDE flash.

I’m calling GDE Monday morning and asking about charges for addons on upgrades/reflashes and let you know here what they say, maybe I can get my $150 back and it was some sorta miscommunication or oversight by them.
    Or at least 4 people here in this thread are wrong (which I’m hoping is not the case)

Last edited by Sarum; 08-10-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4546 times
    I’m calling GDE Monday morning and asking about charges for addons on upgrades/reflashes and let you know here what they say, maybe I can get my $150 back and it was some sorta miscommunication or oversight by them.
    Or at least 4 people here in this thread are wrong (which I’m hoping is not the case)

Let us know. I recently had a reflash for 50 bucks and I did keep regen notice and brake.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links