GDE Tune or Not?

GDE Tune or Not?

This is a discussion on GDE Tune or Not? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Have had my 17 ED since Dec '17. Love the truck. I'm still running stock. Like many I too have experience the turbo lag but ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: GDE Tune or Not?

Member #
    Vehicle
    17' Ram 1500 Big Horn Ecodiesel 4x4
    Liked
    5 times

GDE Tune or Not?

Have had my 17 ED since Dec '17. Love the truck. I'm still running stock. Like many I too have experience the turbo lag but have not ever had any life threatening experiences. Approx 17K of my 30K miles on the truck have been towing my 23' TT. So, question. What have others experienced, both positive and negative with the GDE Hot Tune? I'm looking for real experiences in MPG, Turbo Lag and Towing. I look forward to hearing your experiences.
    jetlag likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I gained a few mpg and the truck is all around better in every way. The truck has pretty much no lag anymore. It seems a little more peppy. Towing seems better for fuel economy and ease. The egr is shut off so ya get a cleaner engine and oil. Negatives I really don't have any to list.
    jetlag and Mooseeater like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    379 times
    Get the tune! Shutting off the soot making EGR alone is worth it, the rest of the benefits are frosting on the cake
    *****-------------------------- I hate "politically correct" --- Tell it like it is --- Be truthful --------------------------*****

2016, Ram 1500 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4x4, EcoDiesel, 3.55 Axle, Leer 100XR Shell on 5.7 bed
    2006, Ford F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0 Diesel, 3.73 Axle, Leer 180 Shell on 8' bed
    2005, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4x4, 4.0 Inline 6, Rock Crawler

Dealer of ARCHOIL and PRI-D & PRI-G oil & fuel additive products

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    There is no turbo lag on a stock truck. It takes fuel to spool the turbo. The problem is the factory tune fails to respond to pedal input which is just piss poor tuning. GDE apparently has corrected that. I'm still stock on my 17 but have had the fear of being hit due to it not responding at all. When you punch it farther it snaps your head back as it finally fuels and lights the turbo. The variable geometry turbo spools faster than older turbos but no matter what the engine has to fuel and rev to spool it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6633 times
    You serious?

I mean the praise for GDE, clean-running, better quality operation, extra features and smoother power are all over this forum and the internet. You have been a member here for 5 years. During that time literally thousands of posts praising GDE have shown up here. There is even a topic in the venders' section with more information. From a mechanical reliability standpoint, emissions reliability and more - GDE has a major track record of success. So much success it is really and seriously a MUST for all Ecodiesel owners.

Where you been all these years? You must not be reading or paying any attention to this forum. The forum members here should not be asked to help those that will not help themselves.
    John Jensen and Merlin30 like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    That all is true I am sure, however my truck runs much better since the AEM . I may get a tune, not sure since the truck is running so well, but if I do it will not be GDE unless they pony up with a OBDII handheld. By the way, I am speaking for three Eco Diesel engines, and my wife and daughter are very pleased with their Jeep's performance

Member #
    Vehicle
    17' Ram 1500 Big Horn Ecodiesel 4x4
    Liked
    5 times
    I have been giving some thought in how to respond to this response. Gotta say, it's not at all what I expected from this forum. Yes, I have looked at several postings regarding GDE Hot tunes, however I haven't devoted all of my time in researching other GDE postings. Some of the ones I have read have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. Some have been absolutely hammered as being bogus or out and out lies regarding the claims made. Others have been very conservative in their claims. In my 70 plus years, I have learned that it's not out of line to ask an honest question of those who may be more in the know about a given subject than me, hence my question to the forum. It appears that I have received a few honest responses. The bottom line is that I'm still in sticker shock after putting out over
    $40K+ for a 1/2 ton pickup. The additional $700-$1000 for an upgrade to my truck seems worthy of some additional research. As you mentioned, I have been a member of this forum for over 5 years. Others postings carried a great deal of weight in my decision to buy the truck.
    Captainmal, tollmtn and HYDREX like this.
    God created beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, White, Crew Cab 2wd, 3.92 rear axle
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I have been giving some thought in how to respond to this response. Gotta say, it's not at all what I expected from this forum. Yes, I have looked at several postings regarding GDE Hot tunes, however I haven't devoted all of my time in researching other GDE postings. Some of the ones I have read have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. Some have been absolutely hammered as being bogus or out and out lies regarding the claims made. Others have been very conservative in their claims. In my 70 plus years, I have learned that it's not out of line to ask an honest question of those who may be more in the know about a given subject than me, hence my question to the forum. It appears that I have received a few honest responses. The bottom line is that I'm still in sticker shock after putting out over
    $40K+ for a 1/2 ton pickup. The additional $700-$1000 for an upgrade to my truck seems worthy of some additional research. As you mentioned, I have been a member of this forum for over 5 years. Others postings carried a great deal of weight in my decision to buy the truck.
    I think you’ll love the Hot Tune. I installed it on my truck somewhere around the 25k mark. I now have 106k on my truck with zero issues related to the tune. And I’ve also had my truck in the dealership a couple of times. Whenever I go, I simply tell them not to flash the truck. They have never given me any flack about it. Hopefully this week I’ll get the AEM update installed. When I do, I’ll be reinstalling the Hot Tune ASAP. Then I’ll also add the transmission tune. You mentioned towing a travel trailer. I highly recommend the turbo brake option. Totally worth the $50.00 extra.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    206 times
    GDE tune is simply the best money you can spend on your truck. DO IT. Trans tune is also good but if money is short just do the hot tune.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    If you look past the expense of the gde hot tune you won't regret it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links