Threw a rod on a new ED.. Trade for 5.7 or keep it? - Page 2

Threw a rod on a new ED.. Trade for 5.7 or keep it?

This is a discussion on Threw a rod on a new ED.. Trade for 5.7 or keep it? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; There are some good deals on the last of the 2018 Cummins 2500's right now. That is an old design motor with a long track ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Threw a rod on a new ED.. Trade for 5.7 or keep it?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6635 times
    There are some good deals on the last of the 2018 Cummins 2500's right now. That is an old design motor with a long track record. Only thing, same with the Ecodiesel, you really have to do a delete and get rid of the soot at least.

For now FCA will be replacing your motor. Not gonna cost you anything. That toy hauler over 7,000 lbs is quite a load. Hope you have a 3:92 rear-end ratio.If so, I would keep it. If not, that's a lot of strain on the little 3.0 with loads like that.
    Haul N Grass likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    177 times
    The Hemi has it's own issues. Broken exhaust bolts, wiped cam lobes and terrible fuel mileage. The mileage made even worse when you tow.
    Haul N Grass and Hammer like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1078 times
    I say get the engine changed and give it another try. Can't really hurt. you can always ditch for a 5.7 after the fact. You got a bad one. Just happens sometimes.

You loved the truck, it did what you wanted and needed and did it well. I have 57k on my 2015 and have had very few issues - all but one were caused by my dealer.
    Sojourner55 and MR. TED like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2405 times
    I agree with Capt and namretsud , The 2009-2016? hemi’s are definitely having serious issues with lifters and camshafts ..

You can still purchase a 2018 Cummins from Dennis Dillon, Tradesmen are running 44k a Laramie 57-60 k . Now I wouldn’t purchase a 2019 Cummins, a newly designed engine.. The 2016-2018 Cummins are the go to years , Least amount of issues with a very solidly designed longevity engine, if you purchased a Cummins today and you take care of it , most likely you’ll still have it when your baby graduates high school.....

BTW check out Oak Grove Ram they still have a couple 2018’s Internet price isn’t as good as Dennis Dillon but much closer to you...
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2370 times
    Only FCA knows the engine failure rate for sure. I have heard numbers from 2 to 5% failure rate. If the rate is 2% the odds of one failure is one in 50, the odds of two failures is one in 2500 and the odds of three failures are one in 125,000. IF the failure rate is 5% the odds of one failure is one in 20, two in a row is one in 400 and 3 in a row is one in 8000.

Hopefully these statistics will help you take the emotions out of the decision and look at it rationally.

If I was you I'd take the replacement engine and keep on going with it.

All the best,

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    If your are truly looking for a truck to last 20 years I think your better off with the hemi unless your going to delete all the emissions stuff.

That said I bought mine in 2015 with the intent of keeping it as long as it was reliable and fit my needs. My son is almost 5 and he might get it for a wore out first ride in 11 years.
    Funny, I've told my wife something very similar. Although it's the three year old granddaughter I have in mind. Nothing better for a first car than one that is about the same age as the kid.

To OP: It's not the truck that disappointed, it's the original engine and FCA is replacing that. I know it's easy to say don't worry about it, but you are starting the clock over. As shaggn said, you can always trade/sell it later. You'll probably get a better deal if the dealer isn't circling like a shark with blood in the water. One other thing to consider, if you decide to dump it right away, take it to a different dealer.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    There are some good deals on the last of the 2018 Cummins 2500's right now. That is an old design motor with a long track record. Only thing, same with the Ecodiesel, you really have to do a delete and get rid of the soot at least.

For now FCA will be replacing your motor. Not gonna cost you anything. That toy hauler over 7,000 lbs is quite a load. Hope you have a 3:92 rear-end ratio.If so, I would keep it. If not, that's a lot of strain on the little 3.0 with loads like that.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll scout for a leftover 2018 Cummins, but don't think my local dealer had any when I looked. Current truck has the tow package w/ 3.92 rear and did very well during a 6,000ft climb/descent with that toy hauler. Had to use load-levelers but would opt for airbags in the future.
    Captainmal likes this.
    2018 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoD - Tow Package w/ 3.92
    Raptor Series - Polished Stainless Steel Oval OE Steps

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6635 times
    All i put on mine are a simple set of Tmbren bumper stops. They sure have worked for me when I toy the toy hauler with motorcycles or the tractor trailer. I need to get the most from the least and that is a solution to a helper on the suspension.

Above are some links for possible 2018 Cummins 2500's. Surely there are many places you can find one. Like Haul 'N ... states above, it is a proven package for towing in to the future. The new engine, because of one particular component in the fuel system, has a suspect track record early on. Might be the same for the valving change on the modified transmission for that new motor. Then again, just might be the solution.

Another option, in additional to keeping what you have, is the upcoming 2020 Ecodiesel. Their tow rating has been presented into the 11,000 lb range. That's a lot for a 1/2 ton but if true, gives you a goodly margin for towing with your present equipment. You have many options and all, including keeping what you have, seem positive.
    GhengisT likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 1500 ecodiesel
    I just hope that FCA does not use us as beta testers as they have on their past vehicles, the Dart and the 200 are perfect examples, and I am wondering if this was the case with the ecodiesel...??

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by applianceman View Post
    I just hope that FCA does not use us as beta testers as they have on their past vehicles, the Dart and the 200 are perfect examples, and I am wondering if this was the case with the ecodiesel...??
    I had a 1963 Dodge Dart. Great car. The slant-six: 170 cu in engine was bulletproof and the push button auto trans was futuristic at the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links