Threw a rod on a new ED.. Trade for 5.7 or keep it? - Page 3

Threw a rod on a new ED.. Trade for 5.7 or keep it?

This is a discussion on Threw a rod on a new ED.. Trade for 5.7 or keep it? within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by applianceman I just hope that FCA does not use us as beta testers as they have on their past vehicles, the Dart ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Threw a rod on a new ED.. Trade for 5.7 or keep it?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 & 2014 Ford F-350
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by applianceman View Post
    I just hope that FCA does not use us as beta testers as they have on their past vehicles, the Dart and the 200 are perfect examples, and I am wondering if this was the case with the ecodiesel...??
    The EcoDiesel is a beta test, one that has been a success overall, most people have zero issues, stock or not, the only really big failure would be the emissions “scandal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhengisT View Post
    Been enjoying my new 2018 Laramie ED quite a bit in the 10 months since purchasing. It's comfortable, looks great, get's amazing mileage and towed a 7300-7400lb toyhauler to the race track with ease. Took her for a 150+ mile drive on the highway this weekend with the Mrs and about a mile from home, it started clattering and making an awful racket just as I was about to cross a busy intersection. I backed out of the intersection while I had a chance and the clattering seemed to ease up in reverse. Wife is 9mo. pregnant and was scared as hell. The engine smoothed out a bit, so I limped us home asap. I've heard rod knock before, so caught the sound on video and bounced it off my motorcycle mechanic, who advised don't drive it and it's on it's way out.

I had it towed to the dealer where I bought it, who also did the first oil change about a month ago. They confirmed it threw a rod at 8500mi, new engine will be here within a week, and installed the following week.

The wife and I are questioning whether we can trust this little motor for the long haul, replacement and all, and considering trading it for a 2019 Laramie w/ 5.7 Hemi. We would lose a chunk of value on the current truck, which would be rolled into our new auto-loan and the MPG hit between the ED and Hemi is negligible. I personally feel that a diesel just feels proper in a truck with it's driving characteristics, but a $65K+ Cummins is a bit beyond our budget.

As a side note, my dad has been doing business with our current dealer for 30-40yrs and currently has a 5.7 Hemi in his '05 2500 that runs like an absolute top with 140K miles on her. He's tootin' his horn about how I bought the wrong motor .. Ultimately seeking a motor that's going to last me the next 15-20yrs.
    I had an 04 Hemi Laramie that I bought new never had any issues with it to speak of in over 100k miles. I traded in the 04 back in 2014 for 15 Laramie ED. The ED that had an engine failure at just over 60k at the time there were a bunch of engines on back order and Ram couldn't tell me how long it would be before I got the truck back. I found a good dealer that gave me full trade value on the ED and I traded for an 18 2500 Bighorn with Harvest package with the Cummis. Been super happy with it so far, it does ride rougher and the mileage isn't as good but I have confidence in the truck and that is worth a lot to me so I have no regrets moving to the Cummins. That being said I had a bit of equity in the 15 and didn't have to roll over anything into the new truck loan. As far as the Hemi goes the one I had in my 04 was a solid reliable engine but fuel economy sucked especially when towing.

Canadian Border on the Mighty St Lawrence River
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Eco Laramie 4X4
    Liked
    1 times
    Got a 2018 Loaded Eco, LOVED it until @ 17,400 miles had a total engine failure. One of the main caps and assorted parts were lying in the base. 2 months at dealership, new engine just arrived. Been driving assorted rental and loaners,not too happy

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captbill56 View Post
    Got a 2018 Loaded Eco, LOVED it until @ 17,400 miles had a total engine failure. One of the main caps and assorted parts were lying in the base. 2 months at dealership, new engine just arrived. Been driving assorted rental and loaners,not too happy
    Did it take 2 months because the engine was on back order or something? I've seen some people with a turn around of 2 weeks on a new engine..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links