Erratic soot percentage on my 2016 ecodiesel

This is a discussion on Erratic soot percentage on my 2016 ecodiesel within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; New to the forum, but I have read the forums since I got my truck. Lots of information here and I'm very appreciative for all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Erratic soot percentage on my 2016 ecodiesel

Member #

New to the forum, but I have read the forums since I got my truck. Lots of information here and I'm very appreciative for all of the knowledge i have gained reading it.
    Up until about a month ago all was good with my ecodiesel. I monitor my regens with an Edge cts 2. My soot percentage buildup was very regular. It would tick up by 1% every few miles, faster when the engine was cold, but nothing like it does now. Now it can jump 20% in a matter of seconds. I recently took a trip to the beach. 400 mile round trip. Had to take the truck on a highway drive just before the trip to do a regen. About 50 miles into the trip the soot jumped from 50% to 70% in a about 1 minute of driving. The regen then started.
    The erratic readings ended about 150 miles on the way to the beach. I thought that it just needed a long trip to clean it out, but on the way home I had the same thing. Erratic soot until I was nearly home. Now it is even worse. 27 miles between regens.
    I should mention that I got a check engine light with a P20EE code and the dealer replaced my catalytic converter just days before the trip. While at the dealer, I mentioned the soot problems and was told to ignore my edge monitor. The erratic soot percentage started before the check engine light. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4524 times
    Perhaps a bad sensor giving false readings. Welcome to the forum.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1313 times
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    P20EE = early 2014 change SCR//or to fix ;flash with RRT 15-088 dated Dec 2nd 2015
    maybe clogged injector nozzle ,,
    ------------------------------------------------------

Yours is a 2016 , they still changed the SCR ,,,,,,,ok ,,,,
    that funny business with soot levels started only after the dealer touched it ???
    code P20EE never came back ???

in time it may throw code P0428 , pinpointing which sensor around the DPF is going bad
    there are 3 sensors I believe .impossible to tell just by looks ,
    ** don't buy a used sensor when you replace , .
    a thread on one of the sensors .
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...-question.html
    also how is your coolant level in bottle ??
    the EGR cooler can fail in a few different ways , one of them sends coolant down in the exhaust ,
    clogging the face of the DOC ( DOC is the first of 2 sections inside the DPF canister ) ,
    the multiple sensors around the DPF measure differences in restrictions
    PRE and POST DPF , if the coolant is making a waxy deposit on the DOC it could mess with the readings .
    just another possibility
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Erratic soot percentage on my 2016 ecodiesel-complete-delete-2.jpg   Erratic soot percentage on my 2016 ecodiesel-complete-delete-1.jpg  
    Haul N Grass likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2398 times
    Could be your EGR is going bad , Watch your coolant level making sure it stays where it should.. Just having your SCR replaced makes me think it’s a upstream issue,causing down stream problems....

BTW your Edge unit only READS the trucks mechanical functions and health issues , I’d be more inclined to believe the Edge over your dealership.
    Kazimodo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6627 times
    Welcome to the forum - First post.

You have a 2016. Did you get the AEM done? If so, regardless of the mileage, you have a warranty on all those stupid emissions sensors. There are also two catalyst systems in the truck. You say one was replaced. Which one?

Let the dealer figure it out. It all should be on warranty.
    Kazimodo likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1313 times
    I dropped the ball on the "welcoming a new member " part ,
    good thing the Captain was there to pick it up .
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2398 times
    Kazimodo.... Didn’t mean to post basically same reply as yours , You where just quicker to the draw . BTW kazimodo your definitely a very positive asset to this forum !!!! Keep up your supply with great information

Member #
    Thank you all for the replies. They replaced the converter. Said it was clogged. Interesting that the coolant was questioned. I did have a leak a while ago and they said the tank itself had a leak and replaced it.that was last fall. I just looked today and it was about 1/2"below the full line. My initial thought was that is was the particulate sensor. I should have mentioned before that the soot % also drops, but not nearly as much as it goes up.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6627 times
    Mmmmm. A drop in the coolant level should have nothing to do with the DPF. Watch that rather often for now. It should not be dropping at all. If you top off, use the right stuff or distilled water. Do NOT try to use any of the "universal" coolants sold.

Appreciate the follow-up.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    Welcome.

My 15 started the same erratic soot readings right after I had the AEM done. To the point where I could not tow my boat because it would essentially go into a continuous regen.

GDE solved my issues.

Now I see the soot bounce up a couple points under hard acceleration, then go drop back in a minute of driving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links