Continued EcoDiesel Issues

This is a discussion on Continued EcoDiesel Issues within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I took my truck in (‘16 EcoDiesel with 49k miles) 2 weeks ago to have it looked at. I continue to lose coolant with no ...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I took my truck in (‘16 EcoDiesel with 49k miles) 2 weeks ago to have it looked at. I continue to lose coolant with no signs of leaks in the driveway. They say they did a pressure test and “checked the EGR” and couldn’t find any leaks. They topped it off and a week later it is already noticeably lower in the reserve tank again. I also told them about a different noise I am hearing in the engine compartment. I explained it as a exhaust leak or small hole in the muffler but they claim they don’t hear anything abnormal. There is absolutely a different noise over the last 1k miles.

This weekend I pulled out in traffic and pressed the pedal to the floor to try to accelerate to keep up with the flow of traffic and the truck would barely accelerate. It was like the turbo wasn’t spooling up. I left my foot off the gas and again mashed it to the floor and it did the same thing again.....no power. The third time I did it the truck took off. I continued to check it on the way home by pressing the accelerator to the floor and the truck took off every time.

Any thoughts on any of these items? I am working with a case manager at Ram but sometimes I wonder just how qualified those guys are to help.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4546 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kyfisherman1 View Post
    I took my truck in (‘16 EcoDiesel with 49k miles) 2 weeks ago to have it looked at. I continue to lose coolant with no signs of leaks in the driveway. They say they did a pressure test and “checked the EGR” and couldn’t find any leaks. They topped it off and a week later it is already noticeably lower in the reserve tank again. I also told them about a different noise I am hearing in the engine compartment. I explained it as a exhaust leak or small hole in the muffler but they claim they don’t hear anything abnormal. There is absolutely a different noise over the last 1k miles.

This weekend I pulled out in traffic and pressed the pedal to the floor to try to accelerate to keep up with the flow of traffic and the truck would barely accelerate. It was like the turbo wasn’t spooling up. I left my foot off the gas and again mashed it to the floor and it did the same thing again.....no power. The third time I did it the truck took off. I continued to check it on the way home by pressing the accelerator to the floor and the truck took off every time.

Any thoughts on any of these items? I am working with a case manager at Ram but sometimes I wonder just how qualified those guys are to help.
    With no visible signs of leakage I would think EGR cooler or possibly head gasket. How much coolant is it using?

Did the dealer do the AEM software update? That would explain the lag. Is the lag more evident before the truck is warmed-up?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    It seems to getting worse. In one week it went from the high “cool” level to the low “cool” level in the reserve tank.

I assume the AEM update is the class action lawsuit update. Yes that has been done and the lag does seem to be worse. But my incident with mashing it to the floor and getting nothing was something other than a lag. A lag eventually kicks in but this never happened.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4546 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kyfisherman1 View Post
    It seems to getting worse. In one week it went from the high “cool” level to the low “cool” level in the reserve tank.

I assume the AEM update is the class action lawsuit update. Yes that has been done and the lag does seem to be worse. But my incident with mashing it to the floor and getting nothing was something other than a lag. A lag eventually kicks in but this never happened.
    Yeah that sounds like an altogether different issue.

Member #
    Vehicle
    16' RAM Limited
    Liked
    5 times
    My money is on the EGR cooler leaking. As far as lag....no clue.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1315 times
    the pedal not responding would be the AEM update .
    the sound of exhaust leak , maybe the turbo up pipe , bringing exhaust from
    turbo to EGR cooler actuator , the pipe is a flexible pipe and cracks sometimes ,
    then you get the exhaust leak sound , but mostly , others mentioned a exhaust smell
    in the cab when they had that cracked turbo up pipe .

take a piece of garden hose , or anything like it , put your ear at one end ,
    and fish the other end behind engine , where the tube is , listen for exhaust leak sound .
    as others said , coolant down ===> EGR cooler , or hard lines under the intake bringing coolant to the turbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Continued EcoDiesel Issues-turbine-up-pipe-crack-leak.png   Continued EcoDiesel Issues-turbine-up-pipe-tends-crack-rupture-jpg.jpg   Continued EcoDiesel Issues-arrow-pointing-actuator.jpg  

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I'd bet it's a egr cooler failing. My truck lost coolant with no visible leak. Dealer said it was fine and all was good. 1 week later different dealer said bad egr. No coolant loss since replacement. Lag in gas pedal AEM get your egr leak fixed and tune it. Lol

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    If the egr is stuck open and burned a hole in your intake manifold would it sound like a exhaust leak ?

Member #
    IM putting my money on the EGR cooler having a crack. Losing coolant with no signs of loss. It's going into the EGR cooler. Also will need new NOX sensor. Continuing to drive and add coolant will cause additional problems. This has happened to me twice. May 2018 and currently as we speak. If you haven't done so, there is a recall on most ecodiesels that extends the warranty to 120,000 mi.. Here's the kicker, I've taken it to two dealers in the area (rural) and there are no EGR coolers available--anywhere! They are not currently making them.It may be months! Like I don't need my truck? My next stop is Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) What good is a warranty with no parts? They should at least furnish a loaner. Venting.

Sponsored Links