Please Help With Blackstone Report!

This is a discussion on Please Help With Blackstone Report! within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I purchased this truck with 27k on it. It does not have the tow package, and there were no signs on the hitch that it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Please Help With Blackstone Report!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    6 times

I purchased this truck with 27k on it. It does not have the tow package, and there were no signs on the hitch that it had been used. I drive about 30 miles one way to work and drive it like a diesel vs. a gasser (warm up, cool down, etc). I have not towed with it yet. This is not a grocery getter, mostly highway, but in some traffic in Houston. I am surprised by this report which was from my first oil change since I bought it. Can anyone shed some light on it with real world experience with Blackstone reporting. One thought I have is the dealer I purchased it from didnít use the correct oil, but just a guess. Should I be concerned? It is stock, I have the Maxcare which to me gives another 5 years and 90k miles or so. Any input besides the typical Ecodiesel ďsell it now!Ē would very much be appreciated. I plan to run another report closer to 5k-6k miles.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please Help With Blackstone Report!-642d4184-1315-4823-aab8-86d5bd55844e.pngPlease Help With Blackstone Report!-fdbb0840-ca65-4ef2-8263-8326095ebe4b.png
    2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Ecodiesel 4x4

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    575 times
    See the link below...I think it is still breaking in based on metal numbers as they are not crazy out of whack. As far as coolant IDK however your covered with a warranty. Does it really have Rotella 15w40 as the report indicates? That alone could lead to some slightly inflated metal numbers.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...t-results.html
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6 times
    Should be 5w/40, not 15w

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Definitely not what you want read on your first OA after buying the truck. Take a deep breath. I had a similar first OA with my truck. Any idea if your truck has had any engine work done before you got it??

To start off with, the used car lot where I bought my truck changed the oil, said they used the right oil, but Iím still skeptical. Second, my EGR failed less than an hour after signing the paperwork. The place that I bought it from towed it up to the local Ram dealer and after 3 weeks, I got my new to me truck. The dealer thought it only needed an intake, but once they had it apart, they discovered the failed EGR. Truck sat for another 2 weeks before the parts and work was completed. I suspect the engine was at least partially disassembled for most of those 3 weeks. Dealer apparently didnít change the oil either!

Like I said, my first OA had all of the same high readings like you, and I think a few more like chrome. I was having the same thoughts as you, drop it like itís hot! I didnít.

I changed the oil myself, ran it for maybe 5000 miles and sent in another sample. This one was much better. Potassium was still on the high side, but wear metals were normal. Pretty sure I ran that oil for the full 10k. OA on the full 10k, wear metals were slightly higher than normal, but that was attributed to the high potassium. All subsequent oil changes and analysis have been good.

So my advice is take a step back, change the oil, drive it for awhile, take another OA and see what you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    570 times
    Looks like you might have a egr cooler leak occurring hows your coolant level?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab EcoDiesel Limited
    Liked
    9 times
    I can't give you any info as to the report itself. Was certainly interesting to read as I've never read one before. But I would mention that you might want to redact your PII from documents before posting them online where any potential criminal might find it

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Laramie Longhorn ED
    Liked
    102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shawclan5 View Post
    See the link below...I think it is still breaking in based on metal numbers as they are not crazy out of whack. As far as coolant IDK however your covered with a warranty. Does it really have Rotella 15w40 as the report indicates? That alone could lead to some slightly inflated metal numbers.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...t-results.html
    I agree--the engine is still breaking in. I would expect to see your averages go down over the next two oil changes. If not, that's when I'd start worrying.

I have 141k miles on my '14 and have sent a sample to Blackstone every time I've changed the oil (first three changes were courtesy of the dealer, so I didn't get samples). Blackstone tells me my engine is doing fantastic and they currently have me changing my oil every 22k miles. I was going to call it good when I got to 20k miles per oil change, but now I plan to see if I can take it to 25k per oil change and then call that my normal oil change interval. I do replace the oil, air, and fuel filters each time I change my oil; I figure changing the air and fuel filters a little early might help my oil live a little longer.

Dave

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6 times
    I really appreciate all of the input. Prior to my purchase, the truck had no engine work per the servicing dealer records. The coolant level is perfect, has not moved, and I check it at least weekly. The Carfax showed regular oil changes, etc. between the Carfax and the dealer records, it was as clean as could be. I will run another analysis at 5k on this oil change and see what the report says. Love the truck, happy to hear it might just be still breaking in, but I will be vigilant on monitoring, due to some of the issues out there. I am still a big believer that the odds are in my favor overall.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    575 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl0724 View Post
    I really appreciate all of the input. Prior to my purchase, the truck had no engine work per the servicing dealer records. The coolant level is perfect, has not moved, and I check it at least weekly. The Carfax showed regular oil changes, etc. between the Carfax and the dealer records, it was as clean as could be. I will run another analysis at 5k on this oil change and see what the report says. Love the truck, happy to hear it might just be still breaking in, but I will be vigilant on monitoring, due to some of the issues out there. I am still a big believer that the odds are in my favor overall.
    Just dug up an old BS report with the Pennzoil 5w30 sent at second change, 17,500. Note the wear metals over time. Also added GDE at 50k and have 194 on the truck now. Current oil is Amsoil 0w40 w/ 16k on it. Always change the oil filter at 10k if going longer on the oil.

157,500 (5w30).pdf
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1623 times
    I don't think it's break-in, Blackstone would have picked up on that because of their experience with similar models and mileage. They're usually spot-on.

I would monitor the coolant level closely and not get overly concerned. Wait for 8k and retest, see if things drop. There's nothing the dealer would do for you based on oil analysis anyway. Just a good track record.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links