Changing the battery - Page 3

Changing the battery

This is a discussion on Changing the battery within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Vern its the heat killing your batteries... With all the towing that you do it must be baking the batteries under the hood. New heavy ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Changing the battery

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    236 times
    Vern its the heat killing your batteries... With all the towing that you do it must be baking the batteries under the hood. New heavy trucks are moving batteries more towards the rear of the frame to keep them away from the hot running engines nowdays. Maybe AGM is more tolerant to heat but not sure.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6827 times
    Hope this thread is not a jinx.

Still using my original factory battery. It would have been made late 2013 or early 2014. I took delivery early March of 2014 so go figure. Darn thing is relatively old for a battery. AGM rules.
    Deward, sourdo, MAS and 1 others like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1066 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post

Still using my original factory battery. It would have been made late 2013 or early 2014. I took delivery early March of 2014 so go figure. Darn thing is relatively old for a battery. AGM rules.
    Come on Cap! I'm pulling for your battery to make it until you trade that beast in for your 2020.
    97hmcs and Captainmal like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
    Liked
    71 times

So am I cap, but it’s time has come for me. No one believed me haha. Oct 2014.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by the big rig View Post
    Well, very timely that this post was just written. My 2015 has 67K on it and I noticed in the last couple days that it was slow cranking. I went to an Interstate battery center near me today and they tested battery and said it was showing 12.5 amps or volts (can't remember which) and the guy said it was on the lower side but no reason to replace it yet. He said the replacement was $185 and sent me on my way.

I go out to start the truck after work and of course, it is dead. Warning for everyone here, if your truck is slow cranking...replace your battery!

Jump start got it going and now I have a check engine light on. Back to interstate in the morning to get a new battery, hopefully don't have to go to the dealer to cancel the check engine light.

Anybody know if there are any tricks to removing/installing the battery before I tackle it in their parking lot?
    Terminal nuts are 10mm and the clamp holding battery down in 10mm. Took 2 minutes in the parking lot. As far as the CEL...I bought a cheap Bluetooth OBD II plug for $17 on amazon and the $10 app for a total of $27. Resets CEL, provides live time engine data, and a couple of other basic functions. Will NOT force regens or adjust running lights as more expensive models will however simply bought for CEL on my Excursion and works on all our vehicles...even my 2000 F150.

Model named "FOSEAL" for IOS and Android.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 286k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 196k miles / 4,760 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    23 times

2014 model here as well and still on the original battery. Bought mine in late 2014, so I figure I can add at least 6 months to whenever you replace yours, ha ha. Well, maybe not because mine has to get through a Wisconsin winter starting in 3-4 months.
    Captainmal and TwoBobs like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Come on Cap! I'm pulling for your battery to make it until you trade that beast in for your 2020.
    Should learn to shut up. Now it could be cruel. Shot terrible today. Cried at a friends memorial service. Spilled meatball on my new shirt and now another concern.

Cruel.
    TwoBobs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    My 2014 is on its 3rd battery. First factory AGM failed fairly quickly, warranty AGM failed after 4 years. I am on a high quality wet cell this time. If it fails too soon I will switch back to high quality AGM again (non-OEM for sure though).

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6827 times
    Still better than the 12th battery I just put in my Harley FatBoy today. 12 years old. 12 batteries and all AGM. The battery sits in a hollow surrounded by the oil tank. Hot????

That design wrote the book on what hot is to a battery. One year. That's it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel, Bighorn, 3.55.
    Liked
    13 times
    Got my battery at B+B and installed it myself. No hassles, no electronic problems. Just a little heavy to pull out and put back in.
    DrivingZiggy and TwoBobs like this.
    2016 RAM 4x4 EcoDiesel, Bighorn, Crew, 6' 4", 3.55, 8.4NAV, TimberGrove airshocks, Lemur Bluedriver OBD2, Leer 180

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links