GDE Tune at 120K Miles Questions - Page 2

GDE Tune at 120K Miles Questions

This is a discussion on GDE Tune at 120K Miles Questions within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by VernDiesel The AEM messes up both the engine & the transmission tunes. Get both you will not regret it. Truck will run ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: GDE Tune at 120K Miles Questions

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    The AEM messes up both the engine & the transmission tunes. Get both you will not regret it. Truck will run & tow better than ever. Oil stay clean, better cruise control function, bump in mileage & power etc. These can improve the life of both engine & transmission.

My truck tows commercially I put the tune in at 30k & the trans tune in when it came out. Change my transmission fluid every 100k still working good at 590k. On the engine tune get the turbo brake feature if you tow.

Watch your degas tank coolant level. Never let it get below the seam if it does more than once you likely have an EGR cooler leak developing. If so Kazimoto linked the best & permanent solution. Oh and if you are doing EGR cooler delete let the tuner know and they will add code to stop check engine light for EGR cooler. If you add that feature to your tune later it costs you $50 to change your tune. At least that’s my understanding unless something has changed.

If I do very little towing, would you still recommend the trans tune and transmission fluid change? From what I understand the fluid change is a pain and ram says the fuild supposed to last the life of the truck.
    As for coolant leak, iv'e never lost a drop.
    lastly, 590K is amazing. Think you'll make the million mile club before upgrading?

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    With 120k miles on a stock tuned truck you can be sure that your egr diffuser tube, map sensor and intake are pretty sooted up, if you have never cleaned them. GDE will stop all that crap from continuing to foul the intake but it won't make what's already there disappear.
    You may want to look at the sensor and tube and also take a light and see how bad the intake looks. As preventive maintenance, if real bad, it may be worth having your intake cleaned after you get the tune.
    I don't know about the U07 safety feature with GDE. I'm sure someone here can answer that or you may want to contact GDE directly. I'm still confused as to wether the U07 is included with AEM or if you can opt out and just get the AEM without the safety update.
    So here's my thinking and I'm sure its wrong. If i'm not getting any error codes now, and the soot build up should stop pretty much completely post GDE tune, then is their any reason to clean the sensors if they're working fine as is? In other words, is what's already their hurting anything?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1441 times
    Vern , the GDE hot tune is already compatible with EGR delete .
    the early tune in 2014 was not , but now the latest versions are .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    These were just suggestions based on what I have read here and seen with my own engine. The whole idea about preventive maintenance is to avoid having future CEL's and possible costly repairs.
    Cleaning the map sensor and diffuser tube is a fairly painless and easy process. Since your getting GDE the diffuser tube is not as important as the map sensor. You can search on this site for cleaning instructions or I believe there are videos on YouTube.
    If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't even know about this stuff.
    Cleaning the intake is a whole other matter. I wouldn't attempt it unless you know what your doing. Better off having this done by an experience diesel mechanic.
    I would talk to the guys at GDE. See what their professional opinion is and go with what they tell you.
    VernDiesel and 3DHawkeye like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cds13ca View Post
    Off road is only if you plan to delete everything (DPF, SCR, DEF, all that stuff).
    Almost correct! You only have to beat the stuffing out of the DPF. You can leave all the rest of that alone.
    lucskoj and redsunBC like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3759 times
    I would still recommend the trans tune since you did the AEM. I would still do the trans fluid change. I think lifetime for Rams purposes is 150,000 miles which is at least 25 beyond their longest warranty. ZF designers of the transmission recommends fluid changes.

Doing a fluid change is discussed with instructions how to do it in the trans section of this forum. I do mine at a buddyís shop following the ZF transmission fluid change instruction / flow chart. When you drive it in with temperatures already in range with the instructions it shortens the time on the lift.

I also use a quality but less expensive Valvoline Max life transmission fluid that you can buy in a much more cost effective gallon jug. It takes 6 quarts to do a simple fluid change which leaves a couple quarts of the old fluid but itís a safe easy cost effective & practical way of doing it and if you are doing it every 100k or so it works.

A million miles on the truck would be an accomplishment. Itís also a long ways off depend on whether I can keep it rolling cost effectively. Right now itís in pretty good shape and looking promising but a wreck motor or transmission failure could change that.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    635 times
    ^^^ agree and your even a slight fender bender away from being cashed out by INS w/ those miles. Your tans has really spoken volumes for the already stellar ZF. Was wondering though how mnay Ziggy wheele's (reluctor ring) your truck has been through?

Personally more concerned with that vs. pooping bearings out the tailpipe...
    Kazimodo likes this.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 286k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 197k miles / 4,790 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1070 times
    Oh, great. Now I'm forever associated with those damned things.
    7milesup likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Regarding the Intake...I can tell you based on fresh info from Keith at GDE that you are better off to leave the sooted up intake as-is, so long as you have no other issues. I had my intake loose, but did not remove it based on their advice. Runs like a champ.

GDE does not remove the auto-park disaster...I really hate that.
    Kazimodo, Captainmal and shawclan5 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Oh, great. Now I'm forever associated with those damned things.
    Reluctor reluctance??
    7milesup likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links