GDE Tune at 120K Miles Questions

This is a discussion on GDE Tune at 120K Miles Questions within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I have a trouble free 2015 Ecodiesel Farm truck that's just hit 120K miles. Nothing but filters and oil changes to date. I Plan to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: GDE Tune at 120K Miles Questions

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

I have a trouble free 2015 Ecodiesel Farm truck that's just hit 120K miles. Nothing but filters and oil changes to date.

I Plan to spend my settlement check on the GDE tune and have a few questions.

Will the hot tune get rid of this Auto Park when door is open crap?

Is the any reason to get the Off road tune? I don't mind spending ~$20 every 10K miles on DEF. What other benefits does it offer? I live in Virginia, so emissions tests aren't an issue (yet).

Having been 120K miles. Is their any cleaning / maintenance you'd do after tuning it pertaining to soot build up? Or 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

For those with GDE tune and high milage, have you done a full EGR Delete? From what I understand the tune only electronically shuts it off, but it could still eventually leak? Is the risk worth the effort? How hard is a full delete (or just adding metal plates)?

My focus is solely longevity of the truck and fuel efficiency. With that being said, is their any add-on feature I should consider? And is their any reason to get the transmission tune?

Performance isn't important to me, as the truck already exceeds my expectations.
    markcfoster, MR. TED and bruski54 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Watching this thread for my ‘15 stock, pre-AEM/U07, ED with 105K miles in no-smog county of Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    631 times
    Leaving my DEF system intact because prefer not to stink up the garage and travel with rear window vented 90% of time. The other reason being preference for clean diesel regarding Mother Nature. Even w/ GDE have always typically added DEF and sometimes distilled water.

EGR...I will mechanically delete when/if a reason occurs.
    bruski54 likes this.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 286k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 197k miles / 4,790 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    With 120k miles on a stock tuned truck you can be sure that your egr diffuser tube, map sensor and intake are pretty sooted up, if you have never cleaned them. GDE will stop all that crap from continuing to foul the intake but it won't make what's already there disappear.
    You may want to look at the sensor and tube and also take a light and see how bad the intake looks. As preventive maintenance, if real bad, it may be worth having your intake cleaned after you get the tune.
    I don't know about the U07 safety feature with GDE. I'm sure someone here can answer that or you may want to contact GDE directly. I'm still confused as to wether the U07 is included with AEM or if you can opt out and just get the AEM without the safety update.
    EcoD and 7milesup like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel; GDE tuned
    Liked
    36 times
    Great questions! An excellent decision based on what you're looking for, which is longevity!

I'm not sure about the autopark either, give them a call or email and ask.

Off road is only if you plan to delete everything (DPF, SCR, DEF, all that stuff). If you still want to use DEF (like I do), and keep the truck running clean with all the stock pipes, go with the hot tune. That just shuts off EGR. My def still functions as it always did, but as they say, you could if you wanted run distilled water and it won't know the difference as I believe it shuts off the sensor that determines if your DEF is any good or not. But the DEF injector still spits out DEF as I know I can smell it in my exhaust.

As for cleaning - yes, as was already said, pull the diffuser tube and the MAP sensor and clean them both - there's some great youtube videos on cleaning both and how to remove them. They will definitely be SOOTED up by now, BADLY, in fact, I'm surprised you haven't thrown an intake code yet... Also, have you ever cleaned your DEF injector? That's probably caked up with crystalized chalked up DEF... I clean my every 10,000 km and even that often, it's pretty plugged up... I like to be proactive so I'm not stranded on the road with a "you have 10 km left before the truck shuts down" message..

I run GDE Hot tune, but I have not done an EGR delete. There are kits that are available for stage 1 (which is just removing the diffuser tube and putting in blocker plates) and stage 2 which removes the egr cooler. Apparently the kits are getting harder to find in the US (I guess EPA is on their case), but still available in Canada.

I'm playing it by ear, I just had my egr cooler replaced under warrantee so the new one should last me a few years (knock on wood), but when the cooler starts leaking, I'm getting the kit and deleting the cooler and egr tube. I"m not dumping $3000 in some shitty egr cooler that is prone to leaking...

For now, like you, under the hood, my truck looks stock.

Other advise that many have said is remove the foam insulation over the egr diffuser as well as the plastic cover over the engine, esp if you're getting tuned. They retain a lot of heat which some believe may have been the part of the reason the intake fires burned so bad.. I dunno for a fact, but I tried remove it just to be on the safe side.

OPTIONS
    Some really like the regen message, I didn't get it because I run an OBDII scanner with Torque Pro app on my phone so it already tells me when the truck is in regen.

I got the high idle feature cause I live in Canada and at work, I can't plug the truck in and there's nothing worse than waiting 10 min idling to warm the thing up... I haven't yet tried it cause I just got the tune back in May, but I'm looking forward to having it.
    bruski54 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4703 times
    GDE tuned ECM = No auto-park.
    bruski54 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1439 times
    good looking EGR kit :https://noecodelete.com/product/no-eco-egr-delete-kit/
    step by step instructions on the EGR delete : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tructions.html

instructions that come with kit above : https://noecodelete.com/wp-content/u...structions.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GDE Tune at 120K Miles Questions-kit-noecodelete.jpg  
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6855 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    GDE tuned ECM = No auto-park.
    You sure?

Looking at that AutoPark paper I got to being the truck in to have it done. It does not mention any communication with the ECM. It clearly states ( yes I did soak it in solvent cleaning a rifle) they program the PCM, TCM and RF frequency. NO mention of ECM and that's where GDE is.

Might also have to do with year. Mine is a 2014. Just curious and hope you are right.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4703 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    You sure?

Looking at that AutoPark paper I got to being the truck in to have it done. It does not mention any communication with the ECM. It clearly states ( yes I did soak it in solvent cleaning a rifle) they program the PCM, TCM and RF frequency. NO mention of ECM and that's where GDE is.

Might also have to do with year. Mine is a 2014. Just curious and hope you are right.
    The PCM is the ECM. No you got me thinking what about the TCM and RF hub??? I could be totally wrong.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3757 times
    The AEM messes up both the engine & the transmission tunes. Get both you will not regret it. Truck will run & tow better than ever. Oil stay clean, better cruise control function, bump in mileage & power etc. These can improve the life of both engine & transmission.

My truck tows commercially I put the tune in at 30k & the trans tune in when it came out. Change my transmission fluid every 100k still working good at 590k. On the engine tune get the turbo brake feature if you tow.

Watch your degas tank coolant level. Never let it get below the seam if it does more than once you likely have an EGR cooler leak developing. If so Kazimoto linked the best & permanent solution. Oh and if you are doing EGR cooler delete let the tuner know and they will add code to stop check engine light for EGR cooler. If you add that feature to your tune later it costs you $50 to change your tune. At least that’s my understanding unless something has changed.
    lucskoj likes this.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links