Ecodiesel extremely poor reliability - Page 3

Ecodiesel extremely poor reliability

This is a discussion on Ecodiesel extremely poor reliability within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I'd trade that thing....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Ecodiesel extremely poor reliability

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 CC 4x2
    Liked
    273 times
    I'd trade that thing.

Member #
    I had one oil hose, then oil cooler, then lack of power, finally EGR replaced. FCA just bought it back after a 2 week case review.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 4x2 quad
    Liked
    18 times
    Captainmal, in his first sentence stated, "So tell us something we don't know" …. yep, the comment is factual, sounds kind of harsh, or more like, you're singing to the choir.... your story, about the egr, seriously, it's nothing new... not only to Dodge Ram owners, but everyone... clear back to the turn of the century, every manufacturer, including the big boys, Ken, Pete, Ford, Western Star, Paccar, International, Cummins, Cat... and today, anyone that makes and builds Ag and construction equipment, your EGR issue, it's not totally a Chrysler or FCA issue... It's called the EPA.... Once upon a time, Cat was huge in the OTR truck power plant business... not now, EPA helped run them out of the Trucking industry... Mercedes which acquired and owned Fartliner, Sterling, and Western Star, used the Detroit built MBE series engines, they were pretty decent, just redesigned Detroit's that were made better, but, do to EGR rules, you now won't find another MBE in a new truck, I might be wrong, but, somewhere between 2009 to 2012 they became extinct except for remans... I too, own a 2016 ECO with 85K on it... she's been great, that is up and until the 9th Circus court and the State of California went after FCA and got my truck AEM'd... so, if you did the recall, you should have received an warranty extension on your emissions systems... in the meantime, yes, EGR is a pain in the Haines, not only for FCA owners, but everyone burning and blowing oil... one last comment, everyone on here seems to like GDE tuning systems, there also others, ie. Banks, but hang on to your shorts with some of these systems, GDE seems to prove out best for the money... and you can shave off that EGR issue...

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What GDE Tune are you referring to the "Hot Tune" or the LCD Programmer?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Which GDE Tune are you referring too? They have a "Hot Tune" and a LCD OBD Programmer tune....Which work good?

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstrike44 View Post
    Which GDE Tune are you referring too? They have a "Hot Tune" and a LCD OBD Programmer tune....Which work good?
    They are referring to the Hot Tune...that is the engine tune that keeps your entire emission system physically intact, but stops the exhaust gas recirculation back into your intake, plus a bunch of other improvements. The LCD OBD programmer is a tool used/needed ONLY for installation of the GDE Transmisison tune, should you opt to buy that.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel, 2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
    Liked
    19 times
    I'm waiting on the new GM I-6 to go on sale soon so I can get out of this 5000lb bucket of bolts before it fails me again. I purchased 2015 Lone Star (33000 miles) used for towing and primarily for the fuel efficiency. Pre AEM performance was excellent, spin the tires off the line. At 48000 miles the intake manifold and throttle body burned up while I was towing a camper. 30 days later I finally get the truck back and it's been neutered. Even cold the engine never performed that bad. Forget towing...4000 lb trailer returning 13 mpg and constantly shifting 7-6 gear on small inclines at 65.
    After a couple of weeks frustration I was either going to have to trade off or tune. Bit the bullet and purchased the SKT engine and transmission tune. Couldn't be happier with the results. Instant response even cold, and I recently took my toy hauler on a 3450 mile three week trip through Rockies to Sturgis avg 15.5 mpg. Only issue is it uses more DEF towing due to EGR delete.
    Now that towing performance specs are out on the GM I can't wait to get back to the General. This is the first Chrysler product I've owned since my 99 Grand Cherokee self destructed. GM has never let me down or stranded on the road with a camper.
    Last edited by ms14796; 09-12-2019 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Spell chk
    Abilene TX
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel
    2017 HD Ultra Limited Low

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ms14796 View Post
    I'm waiting on the new GM I-6 to go on sale soon ......GM has never let me down or stranded on the road with a camper.
    I'm also a huge GM fan, but I would take this bet all day long. I'll bet that if you do buy a new GM 1500 diesel that you will get a check engine light within the first 10K miles. It's simply a function of the light duty diesels being so choked up with sensitive electronics mandated by strict EPA rules. If you don't I may be the next guy in line for that GM!
    Sojourner55 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel, 2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andymax View Post
    I'm also a huge GM fan, but I would take this bet all day long. I'll bet that if you do buy a new GM 1500 diesel that you will get a check engine light within the first 10K miles. It's simply a function of the light duty diesels being so choked up with sensitive electronics mandated by strict EPA rules. If you don't I may be the next guy in line for that GM!
    From what I gave seen of the engineering GM decision to use an inline 6 makes more sense than the V6. The DPF is attached to the turbo so it maintains higher temps to reduce regens. They also went with a post DPF EGR return that reduces soot buildup in the intake, something Peugeot did with their diesels years ago. So yeah I'm confident GM's engine will outperform its rivals.
    Abilene TX
    2015 Ram 1500 Lone Star Ecodiesel
    2017 HD Ultra Limited Low

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by richardapu View Post
    I had one oil hose, then oil cooler, then lack of power, finally EGR replaced. FCA just bought it back after a 2 week case review.
    How did you get them to buy it back?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links