Ecodiesel extremely poor reliability

This is a discussion on Ecodiesel extremely poor reliability within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; My first post here Bought a 2016 ecodiesel Laramie with the airbag suspension as a demo in 2016. Brought it back to the dealer for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Ecodiesel extremely poor reliability

RAM Rookie jstohrcrg@hotmal.com's Avatar
    Member #

My first post here
    Bought a 2016 ecodiesel Laramie with the airbag suspension as a demo in 2016. Brought it back to the dealer for 1st oil change and was told the oil cooler had failed this was at about 10k miles. The dealer stated they could not purge the oil from the cooling system and replaced the entire engine along with all cooling components radiator, heater core, hoses ect. That took a month to complete. Next major issue was towing a bass boat and truck decided to do 1st regen which burned a hole in the intake next to the egr produced limp mode had to tow boat and truck. Had the recall done now truck lacks power and drive-ability, higher shift points, typical complaints. Then at 52k towing the bass boat again trying to come home from a lake overheating began occurring, back to limp mode with a failed egr cooler, towing of the truck and boat again, dealer has had truck two weeks all egr coolers on back order. I made a case with FCA who supposedly helped get a EGR cooler shipped to this dealer but it was damaged on arrival and Ive heard nothing further.
    I have never had this much trouble with any vehicle nor been stranded with a bass boat by any other vehicle very frustrating. I'm hoping the egr cooler is an improved version but no one at FCA seems to be able to answer that question either.

I'm considering trying software from Green diesel for both the engine and transmission to see of this truck can be reliable with that modification. Selling, filing lemon law ect.are the other options.

I do like the truck other than the extremely poor reliability, any advice on improving reliability, this seems to be something Chrysler/FCA cant accomplish. FIAT fix it again tony comes to mind.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4681 times
    Welcome. Wow that's a nightmare. The GDE tune is a plus for the engine and will shutoff the EGR.
    Last edited by 97hmcs; 09-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1677 times
    Welcome to the forum.

I, too, have a '16 Laramie with the air suspension. I installed the GDE tune when it was brand new and now, at 85k, haven't had any issues. Maybe you're on to something with installing the GDE Hot Tune.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6822 times
    Welcome to the forum - First post.

So tell us something we don't know. Everything you talk about has been a topic here over and over. If you can get it running correctly by the dealer and want to try - add a GDE engine control module. That will turn off the EGR, keep the intake and swirl valves clean, clean up the oil, quiet the DEF issues and should give you a little more performance with loads and loads of greater reliability. Granted it's a shame you and so many have to put up with this but the reality exists. So is a possible solution.

If you get it running, then make the decision to keep or let it go. Your problems are near universal without GDE.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3721 times
    Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of guys here. I support your idea of both tunes since the government mandated AEM tunes degraded both the engine & transmission tunes. I have both & it’s a much better running trouble free truck than stock let alone AEM detuned.

Since you tow consider adding the turbo brake option. Oh and why not consider an EGR cooler delete kit to permanently fix the EGR cooler since the tune turns off the EGR anyway and with a tune it will turn off the check engine light that would otherwise be associated with EGR cooler delete. After these they may have to pry your cold dead fingers off the steering wheel to take the truck from you. Let us know what you think if you get it done.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    236 times
    Yep GDE is no brainer like others have said. I too have 2016 laramie bought in Nov 2016. Tuned with gde within first few thousand miles and now has 83k miles with no engine issues. We have been all the way down south to san Diego and all the way east with 7k lbs TT. No issues whatsoever.

I have full confidence in this engine that its no less reliable then the big brother cummins once its tuned and the evil egr is turned off.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    194 times
    I have no doubt that GDE will be your answer. I had the EGR cooler fail at 98k kms and deleted it, got GDE Hot tune then and recently Tranny tune. I now have 190k kms with zero issues since the GDE tune. Good luck..
    VernDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    621 times
    Have 315,431 kms thus far with zero mechanical and NO ghost CEL issues. First 80,000 kms were stock on Pennzoil 5w30...then GDE.

4,740 hours 355 of which are idle.
    sourdo and 3DHawkeye like this.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 286k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 196k miles / 4,760 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shawclan5 View Post
    Have 315,431 kms thus far with zero mechanical and NO ghost CEL issues. First 80,000 kms were stock on Pennzoil 5w30...then GDE.

4,740 hours 355 of which are idle.
    Why are you listing your mileage in kms if you live in Florida? Just curious. Love the Ecodiesels.
    shawclan5, Kazimodo and bruski54 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    290 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    My first post here
    Bought a 2016 ecodiesel Laramie with the airbag suspension as a demo in 2016. Brought it back to the dealer for 1st oil change and was told the oil cooler had failed this was at about 10k miles. The dealer stated they could not purge the oil from the cooling system and replaced the entire engine along with all cooling components radiator, heater core, hoses ect. That took a month to complete. Next major issue was towing a bass boat and truck decided to do 1st regen which burned a hole in the intake next to the egr produced limp mode had to tow boat and truck. Had the recall done now truck lacks power and drive-ability, higher shift points, typical complaints. Then at 52k towing the bass boat again trying to come home from a lake overheating began occurring, back to limp mode with a failed egr cooler, towing of the truck and boat again, dealer has had truck two weeks all egr coolers on back order. I made a case with FCA who supposedly helped get a EGR cooler shipped to this dealer but it was damaged on arrival and Ive heard nothing further.
    I have never had this much trouble with any vehicle nor been stranded with a bass boat by any other vehicle very frustrating. I'm hoping the egr cooler is an improved version but no one at FCA seems to be able to answer that question either.

I'm considering trying software from Green diesel for both the engine and transmission to see of this truck can be reliable with that modification. Selling, filing lemon law ect.are the other options.

I do like the truck other than the extremely poor reliability, any advice on improving reliability, this seems to be something Chrysler/FCA cant accomplish. FIAT fix it again tony comes to mind.
    One should never have to go to a tune to fix a manufactures equipment. Never. FCA owes you a new, working truck.
    Sojourner55 and bruski54 like this.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links