Mysterious coolant level going UP... - Page 3

Mysterious coolant level going UP...

This is a discussion on Mysterious coolant level going UP... within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; After some thinking about what would cause this and hiding the bottle of Mopar coolant I've been using to overfill the degas bottle....lol I wonder ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Mysterious coolant level going UP...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2427 times
    After some thinking about what would cause this and hiding the bottle of Mopar coolant I've been using to overfill the degas bottle....lol

I wonder if the pressure cap is leaking air. It's possible that the air escapes but it will not suck in air when the engine cools off. I've seen o-ring seals do this before.
    just another thought to throw into the ring
    JohnnyMac likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1435 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    After some thinking about what would cause this and hiding the bottle of Mopar coolant I've been using to overfill the degas bottle....lol

I wonder if the pressure cap is leaking air. It's possible that the air escapes but it will not suck in air when the engine cools off. I've seen o-ring seals do this before.
    just another thought to throw into the ring
    So it was you all along ........I have to admit you accept to drive pretty far just to play a joke on me LOL ,,,,
    after reading this I went out side , truck not completely cold , removed cap , came off easily , 2 orings are not cracked , still have a little silicon grease
    I put on last year . the coolant level did not move when removing cap , I would have loved to see it get sucked in by rad and engine but no .

=======================

got a fast reply from GDE , here is what they said :

""Took a quick look to the ram1500 post. I would buy a kit to test for the presence of exhaust gas in the coolant, it would seem that the cooling system is getting externally pressurized.

If the test confirms exhaust gas present, then it’s likely either a cracked EGR cooler or leaking head gasket.

Also, have you done any other mechanical changes that would have touched the cooling system?

I would remove the small rubber hose that goes from the water pump up to the degas bottle, and with the engine running make sure that there is coolant always flowing thru that hose. If not, then the water pump is not primed and moving coolant or the water pump is failed.

Let us know if there’s any other detail which might be interesting to hear about.

Thanks

GDE ""
    ================================================== ==============================

now off to find a test kit for presence of exhaust in coolant ...
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 09-12-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1435 times

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4694 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    Question is , why do others with failing EGR cooler find their bottles way low ,
    and if it is my EGR cooler failing , why is mine going up instead of down ,
    does it go up first like mine , then with no room to rise anymore , just gush out the overflow tube ,
    and later the same pressure would push more additional air in degas bottle and air pressure replacing the coolant until some day
    owner opens the hood and sees coolant way down in bottle ???????

all I got on EGR cooler failure to explain this UP patern .
    I think if the EGR valve (exhaust) is closed with GDE, you won't be losing coolant through the intake like others have. The EGR (COOLER) could be cracked and pressurizing the coolant.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1567 times
    How much total coolant have you removed and have you ever added any?

If it is just EGR over pressuring the system eventually it is going to go dry/low.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1435 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    How much total coolant have you removed and have you ever added any?

If it is just EGR over pressuring the system eventually it is going to go dry/low.

that would explain why others find degas bottle low , and I found mine high , first stage in development of the leak maybe .

Total loss so far would be a jar of the glass jar in the picture , no telling
    if I lost any over the Mayo jar , but there is no hole in the plastic jar , so my guess 1 pint
    no overheating so far .

my degas bottle is yellowish , wonder if all degas bottle turn tarnished like that after 4 years and 20,000 miles
    or if it was the heat from exhaust that turned it yellow .
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 09-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1435 times
    CFT performance plates on the way .,,,,
    and this little tool , because I'm old and I have read other member's posts about
    the contortionists needs to do this EGR delete .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mysterious coolant level going UP...-topside-creeper.jpg   Mysterious coolant level going UP...-stage-2-cft-150-us.jpg  
    Captainmal and sourdo like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6849 times
    Oh my. This is another saga you don't need.

Thanks for all the follow-up and knowing you, there will be more. With such low mileage you would think some kind of warranty might fit.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

RAM Rookie Lsharris0320@gmail.com's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I just took my 2016 in for the disappearing coolant. I was driving back from UT to Las Vegas and I started getting high temp warning. So I went to my closest Auto Part store bought a bottle of coolant, put the whole gallon in the reservoir, to the fill line. This was last Tuesday.

Yesterday, I was driving home from work I got another high temperature warning. Again I went to my local Auto Parts shop and checked the coolant level, The reservoir was dry. WTH. I bought another gallon, and put all of it in, to the fill line.

When I looked the capacity up, the engine takes 2.8 gallons. Where did the previous 2 gallons go?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1435 times
    Lsharris , probably down your exhaust , or you burned it in combustion chamber , unless you were lucky enough to get the kind
    of EGR cooler failure that pushes pressure in excess of 21 PSi in degas bottle , then the cap on the coolant bottle ( degas bottle ) lifts , and coolant
    goes out from the tube under the coolant bottle , and down the tube that looks like wire loom , but that is actually a tube , it
    goes down along the side of the rad on passenger side , and ends at mid height of Rad , if it leaked all from there you would have
    coolant smell at the front of the truck and in engine bay ,
    if it all went down your exhaust , the DOC DPF combo located inside the DPF canister will be a mess and you will regen very often .
    keep adding coolant until you fix the cause , overheating is bad for the water pump and head gaskets ,
    as mentioned in vern's warning thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...g-systems.html

image in small mirror of tube under the degas bottle.

P.S. thanks for the capacity number ( 2.8 gallons ) I was wondering what it was .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mysterious coolant level going UP...-img_2297.png   Mysterious coolant level going UP...-hose-under-degas-bottle.png  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links