Mysterious coolant level going UP... - Page 4

Mysterious coolant level going UP...

This is a discussion on Mysterious coolant level going UP... within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Crash68 I wonder if the pressure cap is leaking air. It's possible that the air escapes but it will not suck in ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Mysterious coolant level going UP...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie Eco
    Liked
    60 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    I wonder if the pressure cap is leaking air. It's possible that the air escapes but it will not suck in air when the engine cools off. I've seen o-ring seals do this before.
    just another thought to throw into the ring
    This sparked a little memory. I used to work on propane generators up on mountains at radio sites and had this happen. Every time I went up to work on this particular genset, the overflow tank was.....well.....overflowing, the radiator was empty and the motor had shut down due to an over-temp alarm. It ended up being that the engine would get hot, push coolant into the overflow like it should, then as it cooled down, because the radiator cap wasn't air tight, it would suck air and release the vacuum, and the radiator wasn't able to draw the coolant back in. After a few cycles of this the radiator was too low and the engine would throw an alarm. New radiator cap and it was fixed.
    VernDiesel and Crash68 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1441 times
    Interesting Johnny Mac ,
    I could do a bottle cap replacement attempt while waiting for my EGR delete goodies to be delivered ,
    but with the history of bad EGR coolers on Ecodiesel , the % of probability is on EGR , gotta fall off sometime anyways.
    JohnnyMac likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    After some thinking about what would cause this and hiding the bottle of Mopar coolant I've been using to overfill the degas bottle....lol

I wonder if the pressure cap is leaking air. It's possible that the air escapes but it will not suck in air when the engine cools off. I've seen o-ring seals do this before.
    just another thought to throw into the ring
    Not sure about this " air coming back in theory " , the cap has been known to be hard to turn OFF when cold ,from succion created while cooling down ,
    I wonder if the cap even lets air back in , then there would be no succion to pull down cap ,
    sure would explain why it keeps all coolant at the top .....
    maybe you got something there , combined with Johnny Mac's story , it's time to see the parts guy at the dealer
    for an experiment with new degas bottle cap . not too expensive or complicated of a test .
    VernDiesel and Crash68 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    CFT performance plates on the way .,,,,
    and this little tool , because I'm old and I have read other member's posts about
    the contortionists needs to do this EGR delete .
    Looking forward to hearing about the install.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1441 times
    Day 3

as suggested by GDE (( reply from them in post# 22 ))

I tested with little tube that comes from the water pump to the degas bottle ,
    tube is 3/8 ID , added a piece of clear tube and started the truck , right away coolant was flowing thru the tube from water pump to degas bottle
    soon as engine is turned off the coolant goes back down in that tube ,
    ALL THAT WITH COLD ENGINE
    so I guess the water pump is primed , anomaly not coming from there .

went to dealer with back up car , luxurious Yaris 2007 , wrong hour , everybody out from noon to one ....

to be continued ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mysterious coolant level going UP...-img_2624.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    240 times
    I love all the problem solving going on in this thread. I especially like that Kazimodo is choosing to be positive and proactive instead of complaining and pointing figures. Once the problem has been identified and resolved, then we all get to walk away from this thread with a great deal of knowledge.
    shawclan5, VernDiesel and sourdo like this.
    2015 3.0 Ecodiesel/Big Horn/1500/QCSB/4x4
    2016 Arctic Fox/Travel Trailer 22G/Onboard LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    204 times
    Been watching this thread. Although I don't ave any theories on this I DO doubt the EGR cooler theory.......
    I hope it ends up being much simpler.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecosparky View Post
    Been watching this thread. Although I don't ave any theories on this I DO doubt the EGR cooler theory.......
    I hope it ends up being much simpler.
    Steve , the theory for now would be at first stage of this kind of EGR failure , the EGR pressurises the cooling system ,
    spits coolant out the oveflow tube , I have no symptom , truck runs flawless , why would anyone notice anything at this first stage ,,,,

(( where my theory is doubtfull is the fact for the smell of coolant on the ground and inside engine bay that would have to be noticed )),,,

I did not get smell and mess because of my Mayo Jar Mod ..

after running the little GDE test with tube from water pump , it would mean the next step is for the engine and rad to get low , as Vern described
    in his warning thread , then the pressure still present in the system , but now no more coolant pushed to degas bottle by water pump , just pressure ,
    and that would empty the degas bottle on the second stage of the failure , many have noticed the low level before , in "" the many disappearing coolant threads "",
    next is hearing the fan come on as some have heard , describing as a jet engine was under the hood , and overheating .

this is all just theory for now ,
    .......I got my new degas bottle CAP from the dealer installed , will go for a ride next , to see if coolant goes UP again ,
    and report back .
    -----------------------
    If it turns out to be the EGR cooler , I'll think of you Steve , and the beating can start, ready for a 6 hour fight with that part....

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
    I love all the problem solving going on in this thread. I especially like that Kazimodo is choosing to be positive and proactive instead of complaining and pointing figures. Once the problem has been identified and resolved, then we all get to walk away from this thread with a great deal of knowledge.
    good attitude but still I would prefer not to have this stuff happen ,
    in addition my backup car is a piece of junk , I saw a cute older woman in shoping center parking lot ,
    she gave me a smile , but when I opened the door to my 2007 Yaris , you would think I was a Leper , no more smile , LOL .....
    JohnnyMac likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1441 times
    hi hi hi hi hi hi hi
    I can't stop giggling ,
    Crash68 you were right
    Johnny Mac you were right ...
    Ecosparky you were right to doubt my bogus theory
    ....and i admit i was wrong
    went for a ride on day 3 , with new degas bottle cap installed , stopped every 10 minutes ,
    and every time the level was exactly where it was when I started , didn't go UP ,didn't go down ,
    very glad about this .....

I was kinda expecting the level to go down once warm because I removed some twice , but it didn't ,
    tomorrow when the coolant has cooled I'll look again , maybe the action takes places when cooling ,

and of course on day 4 , I'm going to put the stock cap back on and go for a little ride , not to far , to see if the
    level goes UP again , and prove without a doubt that a B/O cap will do this .

this cooling system is more complicated than I figured , that degas bottle is more than just an Overflow tank .

Thank You to everyone , who posted advice , opinions and jokes , made me feel I was not alone in
    dealing with this strange situation .

to be continued .....
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 09-12-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links