Question on Factory Warranty and this is my first post

This is a discussion on Question on Factory Warranty and this is my first post within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I've got 35,000 on my 16 ED. I can buy a warranty for 3500 that will cover me for another 4 years and up to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bounty Hunter

Thread: Question on Factory Warranty and this is my first post

Member #
    Vehicle
    16 Ram ED.

I've got 35,000 on my 16 ED. I can buy a warranty for 3500 that will cover me for another 4 years and up to 85000 miles. They tell me that if I don't use it I get the money back?? I just had the AEM done and I want to do the GDE. Do I get the warranty, or is that a waste of money? I just don't want it to throw a rod at 36001 and be crying. I'm assuming that the GDE won't ruin my warranty?

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Sounds very expensive and too good to be true. Run and don't look back.
    2015 laramie. Air suspension. 3.92.
    FCA ECM
    2017 ATC 28 front bedroom. 5.5 onan. Empty 6400lbs.
    Andersen WD
    Cooper HD XL
    Nationwide full time for 5 months/year.
    2012 300c AWD Hemi.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1690 times
    Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?

Try Chrysler Warranty Direct and see what they offer you. I got a great price on my 8yr/120k extended warranty.
    Dieselfever likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6840 times
    Welcome to the forum.

With the AEM yo go the extra 40K miles bu it is near the same as the basic one that goes 100,000 miles. Sure there are a few more pieces that seem to come under the AEM. It still does not cover that total engine. That is covered to 100,000 miles or 5 years.

So, ask yourself if what you might buy would be worth it if it basically only covered what might happen beyond 100,000 miles? Betting it would be a waste of time but I sleep well at night. Some do not and want to pay for their fears.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Black 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel CC 4x4 Air Suspension
    Liked
    116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp5kpdw View Post
    I've got 35,000 on my 16 ED. I can buy a warranty for 3500 that will cover me for another 4 years and up to 85000 miles. They tell me that if I don't use it I get the money back?? I just had the AEM done and I want to do the GDE. Do I get the warranty, or is that a waste of money? I just don't want it to throw a rod at 36001 and be crying. I'm assuming that the GDE won't ruin my warranty?
    If you throw a rod a 36001 miles the factory warranty will cover it. Like Captainmal pointed out the powertrain warranty of the Ecodiesel is 5yr/100,000 miles. The 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty is what you are about to exceed mileage on. Personally I put in the GDE hot tune after my AEM update and I don't worry about it. But I'm not you and to each his own. The price does sound steep though. Welcome to the forum.

Mods: Cabin filter, Bakflip F1 and BakBox, Kat's block heater cord, Tinted front windows, Ram stainless steel door sill plates, Amp Research PowerSteps PNP

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1565 times
    Just my personal opinion, extended warranties are not and have never been worth it.

At 35k miles on a 2016, your averaging about 10-12k miles per year, your power train warranty is going to run out long before you get 100k miles.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie 4x4
    Liked
    39 times
    I am wrestling with this decision myself. I think the only positive of the warranty situation is that IF a failure occurs you get a loaner to use while the repairs are being made.

I wish there was some way to find the common failure points, and average the repair bill of said points.
    2017 RAM 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 ED black, fully loaded, GDE tune, linex, Gator bed cover, hers.
    2010 Challenger R/T 6M - 6.1 based [email protected]:1,Howards Cam,ported heads/intake,52# Deatschwerks injectors,AFR shaker,Derale oil cooler,Barton STS,SRT8 shorties/mids,BBK 85,HP tuned,Jet 180*,BT Catch Can,SLP line locks,splash guards-alu dash kit,MP hood struts,sequential tails,Pirelli tires,MyGig 730N,rear cam,park sense.
    09 Suzuki GSF1250 Bandit 1255 I-4, Yoshi exhaust, World Performance seat, Givi screen

Member #
    Vehicle
    16 Ram ED.

I did call Chrysler warranty direct and they are cheaper.

They want 2720 for a 8yr/100000 mile policy with 200 deduct. I don't ever buy extended warranty's just because I feel like I'm buying blue sky. The dealer tried to talk me into it when I bought the truck. I farm in Nebraska and am seeing more problems with farm equipment just because of the emissions crap they put on the engines. Theres no reason that a 500,000$ combine or tractor should have the problems they do. I'm tempted to get warranty on new equipment now and sell before they are out of warranty. Ecotune is doing a lot of business in agriculture in my area. I see that they have the Ram on their website with 3 tunes. Ecotune.ie Fuel Efficent ECU Remapping for cars trucks commercial vehicles tractors and trucks Galway Ireland Is GDE selling the ecotune? or is that their own. We have to have the emissions on a motor just to pump water for 4 weeks out of the year. Trump needs to put an end to all of this tier 3 and 4 BS. end of rant!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    457 times
    Appears that this is a European supplier to tunes and after checking under cars, they show the 2014 RAM only, not beyond that. GDE is American and reliable.

Member #
    Vehicle
    16 Ram ED.
    Our farm equipment gets downloaded to Canada, then it goes to Europe where it gets changed. I believe its Norway. Either way, its done out of the US and its very reliable.

Sponsored Links