repair cost vs warranty premium

This is a discussion on repair cost vs warranty premium within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; My wife and I were discussing the cost of a possible repair vs plopping down the $4k for an extended warranty that we may or ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By capsfloyd

Thread: repair cost vs warranty premium

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie 4x4
    Liked
    39 times

My wife and I were discussing the cost of a possible repair vs plopping down the $4k for an extended warranty that we may or may not need.
    From what I've seen on this forum, regarding failures, it seems most would be paying about 50% of what a warranty costs for said repairs.
    What are the common failure points: EGR cooler, TPS/throttle pedal ?
    Excluding catastrophic failure, what would be the average repair bill for the common failures?

If we don't go with an extended warranty I'll probably do a EGR cooler delete when it fails.
    I don't foresee top end problems since the EGR is disabled.

Just trying to figure out if I should pull the trigger on an extended warranty or wait and see what happens.

edit: this is my wife's truck, occasional light towing, always reaches operating temp when driven.
    2017 RAM 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 ED black, fully loaded, GDE tune, linex, Gator bed cover, hers.
    2010 Challenger R/T 6M - 6.1 based [email protected]:1,Howards Cam,ported heads/intake,52# Deatschwerks injectors,AFR shaker,Derale oil cooler,Barton STS,SRT8 shorties/mids,BBK 85,HP tuned,Jet 180*,BT Catch Can,SLP line locks,splash guards-alu dash kit,MP hood struts,sequential tails,Pirelli tires,MyGig 730N,rear cam,park sense.
    09 Suzuki GSF1250 Bandit 1255 I-4, Yoshi exhaust, World Performance seat, Givi screen

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    460 times
    The devil is in the details.

Miles? Age? New? Used?

Where are you buying this extended warranty from? If you buy it from a dealer, be prepared to bend over and get it hard.

Or, go online for much, much less. I bought the Mopar Max Care 7 year, 100,000 mile $100 deductible for $2145. After 12,000 miles or one year of ownership, the price goes up. This warranty is transferable, giving my truck extra value for resale.

I'm getting that age where I can afford it, and I just don't want to deal with any issues. And I got my truck so cheap buying the extended warranty was really paid for ($30k OTD)

Plus since I paid for one, I'm pretty much guaranteed nothing will ever go wrong!

http://www.factoryplans.com
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Longhorn
    Liked
    68 times
    Call Chrysler warranty direct. good prices
    biodiesel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1561 times
    I can only assume, but the vast majority of all the failures we have heard and read about were covered under the factory warranty.

It is my long standing belief that extended warranties are not worth it.

Personally I would buy a new truck every 2-3 years to maintain factory warranty before I would spend 4,000 on an extended warranty.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Laramie
    Liked
    40 times
    With the AEM update warranty, do you guys think an extended warranty is even needed anymore?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6812 times
    Depends on mileage. Factory to 100,000 is a winner. AEM after that is another winner for another 40,000 miles. Put those two "free" warranties together and you just may pass all the mileage and time an expensive after-market warranty would cover.

Also remember that some after-market warranties can be questionable to get to cover anything. Those companies are in the business to make money, not pay out money. You want to make money, buy stock in a warranty company. Think about that.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Sponsored Links