8.4" Touchscreen update demand after scheduling AEM

This is a discussion on 8.4" Touchscreen update demand after scheduling AEM within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; OK, this may be just sheer coincidence but it seems awfully suspicious. I called on Tuesday afternoon to schedule to have the AEM performed on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram1500 ED
    Liked
    6 times

OK, this may be just sheer coincidence but it seems awfully suspicious. I called on Tuesday afternoon to schedule to have the AEM performed on my 2016. Earliest time they could give me was was Thursday afternoon. Interestingly, I had tried to just bring it in and drop it off about 2 weeks earlier on a Monday morning and was told that it had to be scheduled. 1st available time was Wednesday morning. In both instances we're talking about 48 hours from from the date I want to get the AEM to when they can actually do it. Now, this is what seems strange to me. My radio does something that it has never done before, ever. When I turned off the truck and opened the driver door the radio kept playing. Opened and closed the driver door again, still playing. Opened the driver door and the rear door but radio still playing. Close the doors, lock the truck, and after about 30-45 seconds the radio cuts off. I figure it's a one time thing, no worries.

I get to work Wed morn and turn the truck off, same thing happens but as I was about to lock the truck and walk away I noticed that the radio is showing that an update is needed. It just so happens that both my son and a coworker have the same MY truck with the Hemi. I check the software revisions on both of their trucks radio and they are the same as mine. They have not received any messages. The message offered to do the update immediately or to schedule the update. I did neither.

Fast forward to Wed evening, less than 24 hours from the scheduled AEM. I crank the truck and the message display shows that my uConnect update MUST be completed within the next 24 hours. Now I'm starting to get suspicious over the strong-arming because I waited months before allowing the last uConnect update. What happened next has me 100% convinced that FCA is up to something. The message in the uConnect screen will not go away and I cannot use any functions via the touchscreen at all. I cant even make a phone call. I then notice the the EVIC shows that the radio is locked. The only thing that works is the backup camera.

Conspiracy theories?

Why is FCA sending a message the my uConnect needs an update?
    Why the urgency to get it done BEFORE I take it in for the AEM? Why the strong-arm tatics to force me to allow it to happen? Are they trying to collect data to detect a Tune?

Has anyone else had this happen prior to having the AEM done?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Same exact thing happened to my radio but a few days after the AEM recall. Its supposed to update tonight, so ill see tomorrow if this update messes up my radio like the last one did 2 years ago.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram1500 ED
    Liked
    6 times
    Last uConnect update messed up my backup camera resolution. Before the update the camera was like HD. After the update it was more like 360p. So since your uConnect update was after the AEM maybe FC isn't trying to sniff out a tune.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I got my AEM done a couple of months ago and still waiting for the butt holes to process my claim. However, I noticed the same thing with my radio today. I have never noticed it from happening before. When I got home i got the upgrade notice. I went ahead a let it upgrade the system. I still have no idea what it did. I sure hope it fixes what Dodge F'ed up when I got the AED.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1065 times
    I didn't get AEM and my Uconnect updated a couple of days ago. So it's most likely just a scheduled update.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Black 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel CC 4x4 Air Suspension
    Liked
    115 times
    Can anyone confirm if hemi or pentastar trucks with the 8.4 uconnect are also receiving this required OTR uconnect update or is it specific to Ecodiesel? I don't frequent other Ram forums but i'm sure others on here do and would know if the update is also being forced on trucks with the other powertrains.

Mods: Cabin filter, Bakflip F1 and BakBox, Kat's block heater cord, Tinted front windows, Ram stainless steel door sill plates, Amp Research PowerSteps PNP

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4681 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRam View Post
    Can anyone confirm if hemi or pentastar trucks with the 8.4 uconnect are also receiving this required OTR uconnect update or is it specific to Ecodiesel? I don't frequent other Ram forums but i'm sure others on here do and would know if the update is also being forced on trucks with the other powertrains.
    It's been talked about on other forums with hemi's.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Black 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel CC 4x4 Air Suspension
    Liked
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    It's been talked about on other forums with hemi's.
    Ok thanks! That clears it up then.

Mods: Cabin filter, Bakflip F1 and BakBox, Kat's block heater cord, Tinted front windows, Ram stainless steel door sill plates, Amp Research PowerSteps PNP

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Bighorn (named Silver)
    Liked
    21 times
    I believe the update is across ALL Uconnect devices regardless of vehicle. If you call the Uconnect help line, there is an automated message that talks about the update, but doesn't specify any brand. my guess is they are rolling it out gradually in groups because the server, or network, or whatever other equipment they have can't handle every radio at once. groups of 1000 vehicles at a time for example. this would explain why they put a time limit on it "you must do it by X date" because they need to move on to the next group.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Funny I just noticed today for the first time that the radio stayed on after I shut it off and shut the door. Mine did shut off when I hit the lock button. I had the AEM done months ago though. Just noticed it today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links