2015 Ecodiesel Weird Towing Sound (possibly loose vale or tranny)

This is a discussion on 2015 Ecodiesel Weird Towing Sound (possibly loose vale or tranny) within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I own a 2015 Ram EcoDiesel 1500 Quad Cab with 3.55 Rear End. I was towing a 5500lb trailer for 150 miles and had this ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ajb3015

Thread: 2015 Ecodiesel Weird Towing Sound (possibly loose vale or tranny)

Member #

I own a 2015 Ram EcoDiesel 1500 Quad Cab with 3.55 Rear End. I was towing a 5500lb trailer for 150 miles and had this sound happen while under load. With the trailer off the truck does not make the same sound.

The sound comes on only when I press fully down on the throttle while towing, the truck is going past 80 km/h or 53 mph. The sound comes on after 2700-2800 rpm all the way to redline. When I am towing and going slow during acceleration the issue does not happen.

Video:

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2414 times
    Hard to tell by the video but I'm wondering if it's a leak on the pressure side of the turbo, you only hear the noise once the boost starts to build. Check the piping/clamps from the turbo to the intercooler and then to the engine.
    The other more expensive thought is something in the transmission

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Bighorn (named Silver)
    Liked
    22 times
    check this thread:

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...nder-load.html

and then check the flange between the dpf and scr. seems like the same problem both g00fy and i had. seems to be more of these happening lately
    LAD_Mavric likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. It is that stupid bolt that came off. I can see it under my truck.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Bighorn (named Silver)
    Liked
    22 times
    No problem. If you're still under warranty, or did the AEM and have that warranty, it is covered.

I'm personally very curious about this problem, and think there are far more people out there with this issue that just don't know it because they don't push the truck hard enough. I only found it because I pushed the truck over 3000rpm passing a semi on the highway. Yours was while towing and g00fy was during heavy throttle and towing, so it obviously takes decent exhaust pressure to cause the whistle. It's probably leaking all the time, but only heard during heavy throttle or high load situations.

Sponsored Links