Regeneration filter

Regeneration filter

This is a discussion on Regeneration filter within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I live in a town of only about 7500 and a one way trip to almost anywhere in town is rarely more than a mile. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Regeneration filter

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Regeneration filter

I live in a town of only about 7500 and a one way trip to almost anywhere in town is rarely more than a mile. It only took a 10 days if town driving following a 300 mile road trip for my exhaust filter indicator to tell me it was 90% full and needed to go back on the highway for regeneration. Is this normal, or is it an indication of a problem that I should discuss with the dealer?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Laramie EcoDiesel CC Maximum Steel Metallic
    Liked
    826 times
    I would say that's about normal. The stock tune is pretty smokey, and the DPF will fill up quickly. Especially with cold starts until up to normal operating temperature. If you buy an aftermarket gauge, like an edge CTS, you can monitor the DPF soot load, and take it for a highway run once it reaches 65+% full.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwaterguy View Post
    I live in a town of only about 7500 and a one way trip to almost anywhere in town is rarely more than a mile. It only took a 10 days if town driving following a 300 mile road trip for my exhaust filter indicator to tell me it was 90% full and needed to go back on the highway for regeneration. Is this normal, or is it an indication of a problem that I should discuss with the dealer?
    Here's some information that might be useful:

Active = fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke strictly for the purpose of increasing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) in order to get to the temperature necessary to burn the soot out of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Your truck will regenerate (active) when the DPF soot level reaches 65%. This will likely occur every 100-300 miles. You will only see the notice on the EVIC if the soot level reaches 80-90% due to uncompleted regens.

Active self-regeneration occurs when there is not sufficient heat in the exhaust to convert all the carbon being collected in the DPF. Exhaust temperatures are raised by injecting a small amount of fuel upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter.
    The resulting chemical reaction over the DOC raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to oxidize the carbon from the filter. This is all done without any operator intervention.

Passive = the engine is working hard enough under its own power that the EGT's are hot enough to keep the regeneration of the DPF in process, there is no extra fuel burned as it is not necessary.

Based on my observations, you will not see EGT’s hot enough for passive regeneration at unloaded highway speeds. The EGT’s are actually quite low when cruising on the highway unless you are towing a heavy load,are carrying a full payload, or driving hard.

From forum member Patty:

The truck's programming will make many repeated attempts to regenerate the DPF, from a high soot mass level of 65% down to <10% when a cycle is complete. If your trip is too short and the engine is then shut off, or the truck is put in park with the engine idling, an active regeneration process stops (at whatever soot level the DPF is at). The next drive cycle when the DPF again reaches 65% soot mass the whole process starts all over again. If you are going on a road trip the complete cycle will happen many times over...up to 65%...regen...down to <10%...over and over again.
    hatchi12, roegs and CR4V3 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thank you for the information. It was very helpful and enhanced my understanding of my new vehicle.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1053 times
    Sorry to say, but if your driving like that, you bought the wrong vehicle.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
    Thermorex, TCDiesel and Piney like this.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    Back to work, New Travel Trailer Coming!

Member #
    Vehicle
    Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GMC Duramax, Ford 7.3 diesel
    Liked
    3148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwaterguy View Post
    Your shot trips are not allowing your engine to heat up enough for a regeneration to start. My driving style is just a bit better with my trips averaging 6 miles round trip and one 25 mile round trip per week. That seems to be enough to get a regen going and I have not seen the regen message yet. I personally believe that the emission system is designed to operate under any conditions and it will tell you if it needs to run a bit. It would be nice if the manufacturers would at least mention the drawbacks of this emission system though. You may be a good candidate for the GDE tune. See other discussions regarding this...
    Thermorex, lbengston and 97hmcs like this.
    Gene

2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax diesel
    1992 Ford E350 Navistar diesel

"Science prevails over bullshit and superstition"
    -Me

Member #
    What is GDE tune?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxerson View Post
    What is GDE tune?
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/g...roduction.html

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 SLT BigHorn
    Liked
    2 times
    I have 36402 miles and have not seen an active regen
    Gabe1986 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannerstap View Post
    I have 36402 miles and have not seen an active regen
    Here's some information that might be useful:

Active = fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke strictly for the purpose of increasing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) in order to get to the temperature necessary to burn the soot out of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Your truck will regenerate (active) when the DPF soot level reaches 65%. This will likely occur every 100-300 miles. You will only see the notice on the EVIC if the soot level reaches 80-90% due to uncompleted regens.

Active self-regeneration occurs when there is not sufficient heat in the exhaust to convert all the carbon being collected in the DPF. Exhaust temperatures are raised by injecting a small amount of fuel upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter.
    The resulting chemical reaction over the DOC raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to oxidize the carbon from the filter. This is all done without any operator intervention.

Passive = the engine is working hard enough under its own power that the EGT's are hot enough to keep the regeneration of the DPF in process, there is no extra fuel burned as it is not necessary.

Based on my observations, you will not see EGT’s hot enough for passive regeneration at unloaded highway speeds. The EGT’s are actually quite low when cruising on the highway unless you are towing a heavy load,are carrying a full payload, or driving hard.

From forum member Patty:

The truck's programming will make many repeated attempts to regenerate the DPF, from a high soot mass level of 65% down to <10% when a cycle is complete. If your trip is too short and the engine is then shut off, or the truck is put in park with the engine idling, an active regeneration process stops (at whatever soot level the DPF is at). The next drive cycle when the DPF again reaches 65% soot mass the whole process starts all over again. If you are going on a road trip the complete cycle will happen many times over...up to 65%...regen...down to <10%...over and over again.
    Flmx81 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links