Long term prospect of ED ownership

This is a discussion on Long term prospect of ED ownership within the RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Below is something that I PM a board member per their request about an aftermarket powertrain warranty that I purchased. I'm glad you enjoy my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Long term prospect of ED ownership

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3614 times

Below is something that I PM a board member per their request about an aftermarket powertrain warranty that I purchased.

I'm glad you enjoy my posts. Yes I am a happy optimistic ED owner. That said I have never been a blind fan boy of any brand. I try to be a contributor of useful info to the forum. As a business owner using the ED I recognize the liability the 3.0 & to a lesser degree the trans etc carry with it when beyond 100,000. This is precisely why i put the info on the forum. It gives people a path for peace of mind and IMO financially a better long term ownership position.

Between the factory warranty and the one from American Auto Shield you can have 9 years and 200,000 of powertrain coverage making an ED IMO a good or better investment with minimal time & financial risk to that point. I think RAM made a good business decision keeping the 100k when everybody else has dropped to 60k.

The plan is for vehicles with less than 150,000 miles. Its a plan I am told that requires you to purchase when they offer, be it they called you or you called them. This makes sense to me otherwise people would call back and buy when they have a problem. Interestingly enough they have some type of additional discount that you can get for insuring multiple vehicles. Down and dirty;

Term: The lesser of 48 months or 100,000 miles from purchase of plan.
    Waiting period: 30 days and 1,000 miles OR 90 days and 200 miles from sale date
    Deductible: $100 No co pay
    Contract Price: Different options but I negotiated one time up front of $2,465. They called me out of the blu & its what I negotiated on my feet. You may do better.

The contract may run concurrent with and is secondary to the manufacturers warranty. I take this as they are not paying if the factory warranty can/is. The contract is the actual cash value of the vehicle based on NADA average trade in value at time of claim or $15,000 whichever is greater. American Auto Shield knew as I told them that I had previously used this vehicle commercially. They were not concerned with that only that I was not using it commercially at the time of purchase.

Certain types of commercial vehicles can be covered as long as vehicle is not rated above 1 ton payload capacity is not used as a rental or loaner and is not a fleet vehicle. If you are using it commercially at the time of purchase there is a surcharge. Eligible are delivery, messenger, route sales or services, inspections/examinations, maintenance or repair, gardening, and carrying hand tools to job. Not eligible include but are not limited to; taxi, limo, law enforcement or other emergency use, shuttle, snow plowing.

All vehicles are required to follow factory scheduled maintenance and must not exceed max payload/towing capacity. YOU may at their discretion be required to present receipts or proof of service in the event of mechanical breakdown or failure. NO claims will be paid without prior authorization. Without uber detail coverage is for;

Engine
    Transmission
    Cooling System
    Transfer Unit (4x4)
    Drive Axle (front & rear)
    Air Condtioning
    Electrical
    Fuel System
    Seals & Gaskets

If you have not selected and paid an additional charge for the "market labor rate" the maximum payable repair facility labor rate is $100 per hour.

Additional benefits generally are; (but only up to $75 or $400 cumulative) towing, tire, lockout, battery, fuel delivery, winching, with no deductible and car rental reimbursement limited to $40 a day $160 per occurrence lastly trip interruption reimbursement to $50 a day thru 3 days.

Exclustions generally; repairs without prior authorization, caused by lack of maintenance, caused by acts of nature such as freezing flooding, caused by modifications such as mismatched improper tire sizes etc

While fairly complete this is only an overview by me.

Oh and for Captain the noobs and the fun of it.

Long term prospect of ED ownership-image.jpg
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 01-08-2016 at 06:06 PM.
    Piney, Haul N Grass, JRWS6 and 1 others like this.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED tradesman 4x4 3:55 prarie pearlcoat
    Liked
    213 times
    Just read some reviews on American Auto Shield....yikes ! Also 3.5 stars with BBB.

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Just read some reviews on American Auto Shield....yikes ! Also 3.5 stars with BBB.
    Yea, only 2.5 stars above FCA. What gives there.
    Piney and kahos like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Outdoorsman 4x4 QC ecodiesel
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Yeah, I think it might be too early to sing the praises of an aftermarket warranty company.
    All they've done so far is taken your money in exchange for an unquantifiable level peace of mind.

In the unlikely event you end up using their services, please get back to us and let us know how it's going.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I will likely trade in my truck on a 2017 or whatever year they redesign the truck

Eco diesel of course
    2015 Tradesman Ecodiesel Quad Cab - GDE tune, Satin Bitter Yellow Wrap, 18x9 Method Standards, 35" BFG KO2s, Maxtrac 6.5" lift, Alpine X009-RAM, Infinity Dash Corners

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    3614 times
    Yikes I had not reviewed the reviews on this company. I would not generally expect good "reviews" from people seeking claims from a warranty company. Much like only worse if you didn't own one of these trucks you might be misled by the vocal 1% who have failures that they are all steaming piles of crap. That said the reviews were so bad and consistent that I cannot recommend this company. Never did I sing this company's praises only the concept and from reading the contract found nothing that I would not expect. I posted general info from the contract nothing of which addresses the problems stated by the "reviewers". If a warranty company honors its contract as good faith and reputable business conduct would dictate. I think the product is a perfect match for people who want to keep their truck well past factory warranty and want to address the financial risk of a worse case failure.

Maybe someone will find another warranty company with both a reasonable warranty and a record of fair and reputable business conduct.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    We had the EasyCare through the dealership on our 2012. They paid, but it was still a big waste of money because it had $100 deductible and we only used it 3 times for repairs that were like $150.

So now on the new truck, the wife had bought the EasyCare. But then I learned about the MOPAR warranty through you people (yes, I said you people) and she bought that and cancelled the EasyCare. That was in early December and EasyCare says they have refunded the price but the dealership still has not refunded it to us.

Member #
    Liked
    1230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    Additional benefits generally are; (but only up to $75 or $400 cumulative) towing, tire, lockout, battery, fuel delivery, winching, with no deductible and car rental reimbursement limited to $40 a day $160 per occurrence lastly trip interruption reimbursement to $50 a day thru 3 days...
    This bothers me - $160 is less than 5 days. Ram can't fix anything power train related in under 5 days. Hell, engines are taking 1-2 months! That's a problem...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Tradesman Reg Cab 4x4
    Liked
    24 times
    Anyone have any positive experiences to share with a 3rd party warranty company?

In my research, it is hard to find any with good reviews.

Love this truck, love the idea of long term ownership. But afraid it may become a liability at 100,001 miles with no coverage of any kind.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    3614 times
    JPHauler, Between human nature and the nature of the business or risk. I really would not expect to get many good reviews from warranty companies. That said if you see enough of the wrong kind of independent complains. Well you have to call a spade a spade. Still it is a legal contract that you can use the courts/law to make them pay to the legal requirements of the contract. I didn't buy it for mickey mouse stuff. I bought for in case of a claim big enough to fight for if needed. And having a heads up on who you are dealing with can be very helpful before attempting to file for authorization for claim.

Hershey, My dealership will give me a free loaner and if that changes I have other options including AAA premier. Its not a make or break thing. What bothers me more is that I wasn't offered the market rate option. My dealership & most quality reputable shops even here in low cost of living Dayton Ohio are more than $100 an hour. Naturally if you are aware of this in advance sometimes a shop can work around that at least to a point.

I am not happy of what I have read of the tactics of the management of this outfit and to start over probably would not buy from them again. That said I am not totally unhappy that I bought this. I just hope that I never have to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links